any musicians out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any musicians out there

hey i was just wondering how many of you guys/girls actually play an instrument. and if so what one/ones. i was just curious. i play the piano. im 15 and i have been for only 1.5 years or so but im currently working on the pathetique sonata. i was wondering what u guys thought about that sonata. do u like it? love it? and what do u think beethoven is saying in it? or is he saying anyhting. thank u.

Hello kylec,

Yes there are plenty of musicians here. I teach and play piano myself and the Pathetique was one of the first Beethoven sonatas I learnt - great fun, but those broken octave tremolos in the left hand are not easy. According to Schindler (who perhaps on this issue at least can be trusted!): "the Pathetique played by Beethoven was something to be heard, and heard again to be quite certain it was the same well known work. Above all, every single thing became in his hands, a new creation, wherein his always legato playing formed an important part."

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I play! I'm eighteen, and have been playing the piano for three years. I'm leaving for college this August, and I'm going to major in music. I've played the Pathetique; it's a lovely sonata. I'm not good at interpreting in words what composers meant, so I won't even try. Good luck with your studies!

Comment

Hi, KyleC! I play piano and organ and have played both for the past 20 years, piano for the past 30 years. I never did learn the Pathetique, although I have played through it many times. It is among my favorites for playing although there are many others to choose from and they are all very good. Currently I am looking at the adagio of the Appassionata.

Comment

I'm a singer.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

wow. i never thought that there would be so many piano players here. i have another question. would u consider it "good" to be able to play about half of the first movement after only 1.5 years of playing? im just curious im seriously thinking in majoring in piano when i go to college. i want to know if i have a chance. . thanks for your quick responses. im a huge fan of beethoven and am just happy that i found such a great site filled with great information and wonderful people.

Comment

oh and peter what broken octave tremelos? umm i dont thinki know what that means. i have only been playing for 1.5 years and have only been taking lesson for 7 months. could u please explain. thanks.

Comment

I believe Peter is referencing what is happening in the left hand during measures 10-25, then again in 34-50.

I dont see this as the hardest thing in this sonata. Its difficult to keep the volume during this section in the left hand from overpowering the volume of the right hand, but that is all. Actually, hitting the octaves back and forth isnt the hardest part of that, it was moving the broken octaves evenly upward with the chords in the right hand that was hard for me. Is this was you meant Peter? I am finding the trills during the "cross-hands" section particularly difficult to sound good, and the section as a whole a challange to sound fluid. It seems like this 'broken octaves' thing is a fairly regular practice in piano music, because I noticed it again in the Mozart C minor, as well as the piano transcription of his Figaro Overture.

Oh and as a side thing: has anyone else notices how beautiful Chopins 20th prelude from the 24 prelude set is? Such beauty in simplicity.
                Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
                That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
                And then is heard no more. It is a tale
                Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
                Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

ok that is what i thought. i found that part a little difficult but not nearly as difficult as the trills in cross handed part much more difficult. and i agree that it is hard to make that part sound fluent.

Comment

no but listen to a prelude called tolling bells by Chopin. i love it. my teacher played it to me and i have loved it since i dont know why. i just love the melody in the left hand.

[This message has been edited by KyleC (edited 07-11-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:
                      wow. i never thought that there would be so many piano players here. i have another question. would u consider it "good" to be able to play about half of the first movement after only 1.5 years of playing? im just curious im seriously thinking in majoring in piano when i go to college. i want to know if i have a chance. . thanks for your quick responses. im a huge fan of beethoven and am just happy that i found such a great site filled with great information and wonderful people.
                      Of course you've done well if you can play any of the Pathetique after such a short time! Well done, but press on and learn the rest as half a movement isn't much use to you!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I play the piano too. I struggle away with the Bach 48 as a kind of ritual really. I don't consider myself good enough to play classical music in front of other people - nerves get me every time unfortunately. I play mainly to get an insight into the music, and to appreciate just how amazing proper concert pianists are!

I do play with other people though, and compose my own music but this is a more 'pop' or improvisation orientated project. For some reason I'm quite happy playing my own songs in front of other people!

I have tried the Pathetique; I would have said that the huge chromatic glissando leading into the allegro is the hardest bit of the first movement ...

Comment

AndrewMyers i was really nervous playing in front of people too. but u have to keep doing it. you push yourself and force yourself to do so. eventually the compliments start coming and you start feeling better about playing in front of people. like i said i used to be really nervous playing in front of people but after 6 months or so i got over it and now i gladly play in front of my entire class in school. you just have to get used to it and you. you dont even think about the people watching you, you just focuz on the music and your fingers! . lol.

oh and peter of course im working on the rest of that movement. i agree that half a movement is worthless. i wish to someday play more advanced stuff i just dont think i have the fingers for it sometimes. i have heard all of beethovens sonatas and i dont think my fingers could ever move that fast. i do hanon but what else is there to do? or will it just naturally come as i continue playing? it better or else i will be stuck doing slower songs. .

[This message has been edited by KyleC (edited 07-11-2004).]

Comment

I play the pandemonium. I used to play on the linoleum when I was a child.

Melvyn.

Comment

I play the piano too, have been for 9 years now (since '95), and I am 19. I also sing (I guess I'm a heldentenor, but that's too soon to tell, for now I'm a dramatic tenor) and I write too. One could say I could live by myself, a piano, some sheets and some scores in a desert island. Toss some cds, a fine lady and I surely could .

------------------
                              "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
                              "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Working...
                              X