Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Kyle,
    may I suggest you please read the post entitled:
    "Introduction/Mastery of music/never too late". Written with you in mind, I pray
    you gain some insight and freedom of thought,
    Ie,don't be so hard on yourself.
    As I wish Best for you in your Music.
    Yours Wm Jesset

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tegan:
      [B]
      I must say that I disagree with you. I was fifteen when I started playing the piano, and if my teacher had given me nothing but the simplest pieces, I would have quickly lost interest. Also, if you are interested in majoring in music and have a late start, the faster you can advance, the better, or no college will accept you. Most colleges require at least one movement of a classical piano sonata. I had only been playing for two and a half years when I began preparing my audition. There is certainly nothing wrong with inventions and minuets, and I have played quite a few, but if I hadn't learned pieces that were much harder, I would never have been able to get into a college as a music major.

Dear Tegan,
      I know in my heart you have the utmost intentions for our Dear Kyle.If I may say
      Though, a College and the pressure to attend
      "to make the cut' can be quite devastating
      to some who cannot and/or see that there is MORE to music, than to apease some Academician. He/she is in the business per se with a tenure contract to "produce'star pupils etc, without at times being aware of thier position and power. So instead of nurturing talent to a HIGHER principal of ART for ART's sake,it becomes a sporting event or a TV talent show.
      If a player is "cut' from a sport team ,as he grows older and hopefully wiser,the conclusion is that it was for the best. They
      missed the opportunity to damage thier Body
      via sport injuries.
      As Music is MUCH grander in scope and is for
      a lifetime, would it not be better to nurture the flower for superior growth and longevity. Shall we harvest only the best and 'throw' away the rest.
      This is Human psyche's we speak of, for the betterment of mankind, let the child play
      Music(as we are all children)
      Time was only Aristocrats could play Music,and really appreciate the art,
      the rest worked the fields.
      Today better a sloppy classic played with passion of LOVE of the muse,than the souless automatom 'typist'as I see "produced" in
      these factories of "higher learning".
      As even these will soon discover that degree's and their skill is moot in the modern world.Hence they become 'teachers'
      and the cycle continues. With no thought to
      a better world of EVERYONE with an aristocratic understanding of the Music,truly a brave new world of thinkers.
      Or shall that same rejected soul purchase some music software and produce MORE mind and soul numbing techo drum and bass, because they were told they "have no talent"for Piano
      or any number of real time instruments.
      These are just thoughts and opinions,my purpose is dialog, not to offend anyone's
      choices. Just an attempt to understand the
      whole,but please understand this we are all
      a part of the source,hence we are Musica Humana, the music is within.
      My thanks to you Teagan,as I must say I'm
      pleased in your choice of Career and I wish
      you much ,much success as you are already because you have Music.
      Wm Jesset

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:
        i was just wondering in the musical field is a late start, like 14, bad? i have noticed that many of the fine musicians and composers, such as beethoven, all started when they were 5 or 6 and they all have a family of musicians. my family is not very musical and i started at age 14. am i doomed?
        No way, not too late at all! I started piano at 12, clarinet at 13 and organ just a month ago. I agree with the others here in that if you have passion, drive and hard work in you, you can make it. But like Peter said, some things take time to learn.

Good musicians mature like good wine!

[This message has been edited by Vipercat (edited 07-14-2004).]

Comment

Working...
        X