Re: Fur Elise, details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fur Elise, details?

Perhaps this has been discussed long before I accessed this site, but in teaching "Fur Elise" to my students, explaining that B wrote it for (and based it partially on the name of) one of his students, I've often wondered aloud during the lesson WHEN/what year it was composed, and other details, such as any info on Elise. I just realized that I have now probably found the place where I can get answers (internet search proved fruitless, before, for such info).

The Bagatelle in A minor(WoO59) known as 'Fur Elise' was written in 1810 for Therese Malfatti - a lady Beethoven was considering marrying at that time. Nothing came of this, as Therese's father objected to the union and she was married in 1816 to Baron Von Drosdick. In a letter of May 1810 to Therese, Beethoven refers to the Bagatelle - 'In this letter, beloved Therese, you are receiving what I promised you.' Her father was the cousin of Dr.Giovanni Malfatti , who treated Beethoven in his final illness and for whom Beethoven composed a short cantata Un lieto brindisi (WoO103) in 1814.
    It has been suggested as Beethoven's hand-writing was notoriously bad that he had actually written 'Fur Therese' - however it seems that Beethoven did write the name 'Elise' which was used then as an affectionate name for a loved one.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you so much, Peter. That is more than I have ever heard in detail about the actual circumstances surrounding the composing of this piece (and the actual name). Thanks again.

Comment

I also wanted to add to this discussion the fact that in 1822, B reworked "Fur Therese" with the intention of publishing it as part of a larger set of bagatelles, in the same vein as Op 119 or 126. In the manuscript B numbered it "12". Unfortunately, this and the remainder of the pieces he composed were unpublished at the time of his death. I have a recording of this piece, and I must say that while it is extremely recognizable as what it is, he did make many changes to it, and overall it is shorter by 1':04", which is in line with B's later tendency to compact pieces.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It is such an excellent piece for teaching general piano skills, and nearly every student that I have had, has requested to learn it (from young children to elder adults) because of the intriguing melody of the main theme. I've often said that even if B. hadn't composed anything else (thankfully that didn't happen) he'd be remembered for the excellence of this simple (deceptively so, actually) piece, since it's not only beautiful but is an accessible way to learn a lot of piano basic necessities. Really, I'd thought he'd composed it as a whimsical "early showpiece" for a younger (beginning) student.

Comment

Working...
          X