No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schumann's 2nd Symphony with the Hanover Band works for me! Nice crisp and very exciting recording!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
      Schumann's 2nd Symphony with the Hanover Band works for me! Nice crisp and very exciting recording!
      Good idea, at the moment Gardiner is getting his cutting the line here, for Alfonso und Estrella is reaching climax.
      I wonder if anyone has the Harnoncourt video of this opera o.O .

------------------
      "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Gurn, this is about the reply with La Petit Bande in the last instance of this topic.
        Are you that sure about them? I've heard their renditions of his choral music and like only the Te Deum, actually their The Season's looses even to Karajan's. The immer immer expansive Karajan, maybe too for Haydn. Actually I feel like I could dance in the end of Autumm with him, but it would be a jerky dance with LPB. I really don't recommend it.

Gardiner and Schumann have broken in... let me skip to the 3rd movement. Hmmm... niiiiiiiice... Not to worry though, I'll listen to the whole symphonie, it's just that this movement... oh.

------------------
        "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)

Comment

I promisse this is my last post (in a row ).

I forgot to mention, but I see that Korngold has been brought up. There is this place I like to go for CDs and they have Die Tote Stadt in a very reasonable price. Considering that I like up to Strauss, R. and not much from those later, (I mean, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Schoenberg, and Such - yuck!) should I get it? How higly do you recomend it?

- And those strings get higher and higher , oh :')-

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
            Gurn, this is about the reply with La Petit Bande in the last instance of this topic.
            Are you that sure about them? I've heard their renditions of his choral music and like only the Te Deum, actually their The Season's looses even to Karajan's. The immer immer expansive Karajan, maybe too for Haydn. Actually I feel like I could dance in the end of Autumm with him, but it would be a jerky dance with LPB. I really don't recommend it....
            Rutr,
            Well, I only have the symphonies 2 disk set to go by, and it compares well to other versions I have of those symphonies (88-92). Perhaps it is all the singing that has put you off. It is my theory that bad singing can ruin even the best orchestral efforts, and even good singing...

Right now, an Arrangement in F major for String Quintet of the Horn Sonata Op 17. I like it.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              Joy,
              Oh yes, wonderfully nice day, I went out particularly early so I could get back in time for the Open, and it had the pleasant side effect of letting me beat the heat. As you know, our heat here in Texas doesn't take prisoners, much like your's except humid too. Thanks.

Gurn, I know what you mean about the heat. My brother lives in Texas too, not far from where you live! Pretty hot and humid all summer loooong!!!

To keep on topic today listening to Music for The Royal Fireworks by Handel (Rod)!! and
              Mozart's Symphony No. 36 in C K 425 "Linz"
              with conductor Barry Wordsworth and the Capella Istropolitana orchestra. Mozart wrote this piece in the fall of 1783 in Linz, hence the name I believe.

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I promisse this is my last post (in a row ).

I forgot to mention, but I see that Korngold has been brought up. There is this place I like to go for CDs and they have Die Tote Stadt in a very reasonable price. Considering that I like up to Strauss, R. and not much from those later, (I mean, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Schoenberg, and Such - yuck!) should I get it? How higly do you recomend it?

- And those strings get higher and higher , oh :')-

Rutr,
                Well, the only Korngold I have is that violin concerto. It is undoubtedly neo-Romantic, I don't hear any of that modern sound that one would get in those other composers you mention. But it is always possible that he wrote other works that ARE in that style. I don't think so, since he specialized in movie incidental music, and being atonal is not really going to be useful there.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Perhaps it is all the singing that has put you off. It is my theory that bad singing can ruin even the best orchestral efforts, and even good singing...
                  GB,
                  And this from a fella who never heard any
                  singing including half of Mozart's oeuvre.Your exgirlfriend must have been a singer to have inspired such wrath.

To you I say....La la la la da de de da la.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Space(d)
                    No, I tried, you can't say I didn't try! It was those bloody sopranos who did me in! Oh sure, an alto or two, or a baritone between friends, and one could get accustomed, but NOOooo... there's that coloratura with a voice that makes a piccolo sound like it's playing continuuo and I am completely done in. Simply not right.
                    Right now though, it is the marvelous Quintet in A major for Basset Clarinet and Strings - K 581 - W. Amade Mozart - No coloratura there, lassie!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I finally had a chance to watch the Great Performance program on PBS which featured Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony performing Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony. Very informative and interesting. Just like being in school again. Learned a lot about how a symphony production is put together, what the musicians have to go through, and of course, about Tchaikovsky and his 4th!
                      Gurn, was this broadcast where you live?? If so, I hope you didn't miss it. Even if you don't care for the music selection the program was very educational. Can't wait to see the next one!
                      Other than that it's been a very Mozart kind of day with his Pupille amate" (from "Lucio Silla")conducted by Sir Colin Davis with the London Symphony Orchestra and Soloist Kiri Te Kanawa, soprano. Also his Piano Concerto #21 and the Magic Flute Overture K 620. But can Beethoven ever be far behind? No, his Symphony #1 was also played today!

------------------

Comment

Not much time left for today, so I'll listen to Fidelio's first Act, Michael Halász (?) on NAXOS.

P.S.: Thanks for the advice gurn, and actually, it was the singing that was holding that Season's recording together.

------------------

Comment

D18

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            D18

P.
                            Always the Schubertian! Which players are doing that quartet? I have the Melos, I have found there are not nearly as many who play the first few of them as do "Death and the Maiden" or "Rosamunde". You haven't been listening to much music today, no? But good music, always the important part.
                            For me, is the Trio in Eb for Violin or Clarinet, Cello & Piano, Op 38. I decided after much coin flipping that the violin version was correct for tonight, so it is the Beaux Arts Trio. Tuesday will be clarinet day, I promise!

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Not much time left for today, so I'll listen to Fidelio's first Act, Michael Halász (?) on NAXOS.

P.S.: Thanks for the advice gurn, and actually, it was the singing that was holding that Season's recording together.
                              Rutr,
                              Oooh, bad news then. When one must rely on singing to make a piece hold together, there is an essential problem!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

P.
                                Always the Schubertian! Which players are doing that quartet? I have the Melos, I have found there are not nearly as many who play the first few of them as do "Death and the Maiden" or "Rosamunde". You haven't been listening to much music today, no? But good music, always the important part.
                                For me, is the Trio in Eb for Violin or Clarinet, Cello & Piano, Op 38. I decided after much coin flipping that the violin version was correct for tonight, so it is the Beaux Arts Trio. Tuesday will be clarinet day, I promise!

Gurn
                                Just not that much before the computer momentary, but always as much as possible surrounded by music. A lot of Schubert for me today again, now D32, Melos Quartet too. I don't like it, I love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X