what exactly is a scherzo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what exactly is a scherzo?

what exactly is a scherzo? i know its like a movement with a specific form that beethoven used but how can i identify a movment as one? how exactly would u define a scherzo? thanks.

It literally means 'Joke' and was used at least as far back as Monteverdi who published some pieces in 1628 'Scherzi musicasli'. In the classical era Haydn quickened the tempo of the minuet and used a scherzo in an early sonata and in the Op.33 quartets (known as 'Scherzi quartets'), but after that he reverted to the minuet. Most Scherzos are in 3 time (felt though as one in the bar because of the quicker tempo), but a few are in 2 such as Beethoven's Op.31/3 and Brahms's 4th symphony. It is of course Beethoven who is primarily associated with developing the Scherzo - he made them into bustling pieces, often humorous, but not always! Though generally part of a symphony or sonata, sometimes scherzos were written as single movements - Chopin and Brahms wrote examples of these for piano, serious in character. Mendelssohn wrote some delightful examples that are effervescent in character, light and bubbly. Another wonderful example of this effervescent type is the Queen Mab Scherzo from Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet where he displays a virtuoso use of orchestral colours.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 07-12-2004).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      It literally means 'Joke' and was used at least as far back as Monteverdi who published some pieces in 1628 'Scherzi musicasli'. In the classical era Haydn quickened the tempo of the minuet and used a scherzo in an early sonata and in the Op.33 quartets (known as 'Scherzi quartets'), but after that he reverted to the minuet. Most Scherzos are in 3 time (felt though as one in the bar because of the quicker tempo), but a few are in 2 such as Beethoven's Op.31/3 and Brahms's 4th symphony. It is of course Beethoven who is primarily associated with developing the Scherzo - he made them into bustling pieces, often humorous, but not always! Though generally part of a symphony or sonata, sometimes scherzos were written as single movements - Chopin and Brahms wrote examples of these for piano, serious in character. Mendelssohn wrote some delightful examples that are effervescent in character, light and bubbly. Another wonderful example of this effervescent type is the Queen Mab Scherzo from Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet where he displays a virtuoso use of orchestral colours.

Peter,
      As always a Great answer..
      what little knowledge I held over a scherzo has been skillfully updated thanks for that.

Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        [BIt is of course Beethoven who is primarily associated with developing the Scherzo - he made them into bustling pieces, often humorous, but not always!
        [/B]
        I would say the vast majority are at least bordering on, if not outrightly so, the humerous, but the joke will always have an intellectual element of course. Certainly the music is predominantly positive. To my mind some have an element of wit that may even be visual, in adittion to musical.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X