Richard Strauss
      Berg
      Schoenberg
      Wagner (except perhaps ouvertures)
      Verdi
      Puccini

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
        On this gloomy morning I was thinking of the Classical music and Composers that in general I dislike. Here is my short list.
        At the very top I dislike Wagner and 99% of his music. I find, for the most part, that if Franz Liszt were alive today he would be composing for the films. I am not a lover of most of the music of Mahler, nor do I like the 12 tone school of music. I detest the so called French impressionistic school of music by Satie, Debussy and up to and including Ravel. At the top of my list for 20th century composers stands John Cage, the great mushroom lover. To sum all this up, what I like and love in music far out ways the dislikes. Ah! now that I have that of my chest I feel a lot better. How about it my freinds, who is on your "not to listen to list"?
        you are an obvious staunch classisist. form- form-form. logic-logic-logic. tangibility! ...We humans tend to cling to these things.

------------------
        v russo
        v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Frederica:
          And that's my list:

Mahler
          Bruckner
          Richard Strauss
          Berg
          Schoenberg
          Wagner (except perhaps ouvertures)
          Verdi
          Puccini

...for all of you to continually discount Mahler's contribution to western music is a darn shame, I'm afraid. It seems the 'musicians' on these here airwaves are stuffy classical types with no real preference for anything that has any imagination or spirituality. More logic, form, rules and regulations in music. Ancient music from an ancient past my friends; a dead and by gone era.

Hey, where is my powdered wig anyway?

------------------
          v russo
          v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:

...for all of you to continually discount Mahler's contribution to western music is a darn shame...

Hey v russo,
            I said I liked Mahler's music ,I admit I'm not familiar with his non vocal pieces.But his songs are very beautiful.Richard Strauss
            wrote some stunning love songs,and I must say I would happily sit through Berg's Wozzeck ,it's just Wagner I can't seem to enjoy.
            I'm open minded to new music as well,we Canadians are pumping it out at a fantastic rate.All sorts of forms and some without any form at all.And it is played frequently on our national radio station. I couldn't live on a steady diet of Mozart ,Haydn and Beethoven,especially as only the top ten hits ever seem to grace the airwaves.Alltho' I heard a rendition of Beethoven's 5th played by the CBC Radio Orchestra ,this piece must get more airtime than any other of his compositions,nevertheless it swept me away as it always does.
            Muriel
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
              There is so much to respond to in this thread that I don't know where to begin.

I am surprised at the general dislike of Debussy, whom I consider one of the most ingenious and original composers of all time.

Liszt was a very inconsistent composer. If you sort through the junk you find real treasures.

Gershwin. Jazzy, glitzy, tacky, etc. Music without a soul. Maybe, but isn't that America is all about? Gershwin emerged from tin pan alley with all of the other uneducated slobs who just wanted to make a buck. His genius was in writing songs, not symphonic works.

Opera.
              I enjoyed the quote, Gurn.
              Opera going is a lot like being a baseball fan or a Mormon. It might seem ridiculous to outsiders, but when you are IN the experience, it is unbelievable rewarding. I have sat through a four-hour opera and cried because it was over. I can be like a more intense and wonderful version of life.

I have two children who are very picky eaters. One of them will only eat chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese. I tell her that some day she will like other things, but at this point, she can't understand that.

Doesn't anyone aspire to like and appreciate more composers that they currently do?

My opinions on composers change with my moods. Sometimes I love Debussy; lately I have not liked his music at all. The particular feelings I expressed in my post are only my current dislikes. Next month, they'll probably be competely different. If someone were to ask me what music I liked, the list would be much longer.

Comment

" Ancient music from an ancient past my friends; a dead and by gone era."

...this being true does not devalue that era, it merely proves the worthlessness of this one.
                Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
                That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
                And then is heard no more. It is a tale
                Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
                Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
                  " Ancient music from an ancient past my friends; a dead and by gone era."

...this being true does not devalue that era, it merely proves the worthlessness of this one.

"worthlessness"???
                  who are you to say sir? Open your mind "Beyond".

------------------
                  v russo
                  v russo

Comment

Call me old fashioned and / or an incurable romantic who knows little true musical integrity but I must admit I find this a strange and somewhat empty topic to read on this otherwise so well informed and erudite web site. The notion of "disliking" any well established composers in (presumably) the totality of their output,is for me nothing short of bizarre.

To cut and paste and comment a little further

Mahler - Symphony No 5 first movement?
                    Holst - Mars from the Planets Suite?
                    Bruckner - Symphony No 3 last movement?
                    Richard Strauss - Ein Heldenleben?
                    Berg - Violin Concerto?
                    Schoenberg - Verlachte Nacht?
                    Wagner - Tristan und Isolde?
                    Verdi - La Traviata (last movement in particular)?
                    Puccini -E Lucevan le stelle from Tosca

Can anyone truly "dislike" these towering pieces of music?

------------------
                    Love from London
                    Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Frederica:

Richard Strauss
                      Schoenberg
                      Puccini

That's the three I've been thinking of while posting up my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                        Call me old fashioned and / or an incurable romantic who knows little true musical integrity but I must admit I find this a strange and somewhat empty topic to read on this otherwise so well informed and erudite web site. The notion of "disliking" any well established composers in (presumably) the totality of their output,is for me nothing short of bizarre.

Berg - Violin Concerto?

I agree Tony, though I'd have chosen all of Mahler 5! You actually also selected the one Schoenberg piece I like! I do think it odd that people dismiss some of these well established names 100% - ok they may not be as great as Beethoven, but they all were fine composers. Even though I'm no Bruckner fan, there are certain movements from his symphonies I quite like, 5th (finale) and the 7th (2nd mov).

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                          [B]Call me old fashioned and / or an incurable romantic who knows little true musical integrity but I must admit I find this a strange and somewhat empty topic to read on this otherwise so well informed and erudite web site. The notion of "disliking" any well established composers in (presumably) the totality of their output,is for me nothing short of bizarre.

I think I know what you mean. To "dislike" pieces of classical music is something like blasphemy to you, isn't it? When I discovered this thread my impression was rather an opposite one. I simply feel relieved there are in fact people who "don't like" e.g. Wagner, Schoenberg or Puccini. I've sometimes felt kind of weird for not liking them. (People around me all seem to adore them!)

Berg - Violin Concerto?

I don't know all of them well enough to say so. But I honestly tried with "Ein Heldenleben", "La Traviata", the "Planets Suite", "Tosca" and Berg's "Violin Concerto". How shall I put it? - They just don't move my heart. They leave me indifferent.

Comment

Sorry, the quotations didnt show. I'll try again:

[b]

This is by Frederica:
                            I think I know what you mean. To "dislike" pieces of classical music is something like blasphemy to you, isn't it? When I discovered this thread my impression was rather an opposite one. I simply feel relieved there are in fact people who "don't like" e.g. Wagner, Schoenberg or Puccini. I've sometimes felt kind of weird for not liking them. (People around me all seem to adore them!)

This is by Tony John Hearne:
                            Berg - Violin Concerto?

This is by Frederica:
                            I don't know all of them well enough to say so. But I honestly tried with "Ein Heldenleben", "La Traviata", the "Planets Suite", "Tosca" and Berg's "Violin Concerto". How shall I put it? - They just don't move my heart. They leave me indifferent.

Comment

Berg - Violin Concerto?

WELL PUT!!!

v russo

Comment

Thanks all Onwards and upwards !!

------------------
                                Love from London
                                Love from London

Comment

Working...
                                X