Salieri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salieri

Antonio Salieri was an influential musician in the late 18th century Vienna, and as we know his pupils included Liszt and Beethoven. However, it seems today he is more likely regarded as the jealous villian in the film 'Amadeus'. His music began to lose popularity at the beginning of the 19th century, but I would have thought a few of his total of forty operas would have gained some recognition today.
    Instead it appears only selections of arias appear on CD, and a recent visit to the classical music section at Tower Records has nothing under his name. Anyone know why this is?

Early in 1799 Beethoven published a set of variations (Wo0 73) on a theme of Salieri and also dedicated to him the Violin Sonatas op.12. From about 1800-1802 Beethoven studied Italian vocal and operatic style with him, but after that there was little contact between the two composers.

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 07-06-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

I know what you mean about the music stores not having any selection of Salieri on hand. Of all the Beethoven books I've read I haven't come across why they separated. Maybe Beethoven just lost interest. Salieri was one of the best known composers of his day and taught many who went on to greatness. In 1808 Schubert made a big enough impression to attract his attention and became a composition student of his.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-06-2004).]
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Despite the negative portrayal of Salieri in the film "Amadeus", I am greatful that this film brought Salieri's music back from the grave. I have two CDs of his music, one of his "Concerto fro Oboe and Flute in C major" and a CD of his overtures from nine of his operas. Here in Vienna you can find more of his music on CDs than anywhere else I think.

Here is something I found about Beethoven and Salieri from Maynard Solomon's book "Beethoven":

Beethoven's tendency to arouse in his Vienna teachers conflicting reactions-compounded of affection and resentment, admiration and enmity-was not restricted to Haydn. The noted Italian opera composer and Imperial Kapellmeister, Antonio Salieri (1750-1825), was Beethoven's teacher in dramatic and vocal composition for a number of years (starting perhaps as early as 1798) in Vienna. The young Moscheles remembered "how astonished I was one day when calling upon Hofkapellmeister Salieri, who was not at home, to see on his table a sheet of paper on which was written, in large, bold characters, 'The pupil Beethoven has been here.'" This evidently took place in 1808 or 1809 and seems to indicate a warm relationship between the teacher and his former student; yet in January of 1809 Beethoven described Salieri as his enemy: "Herr Salieri, being my most active opponent, played me a horrible trick." In 1799, Beethoven dedicated to Salieri his three Sonatas fro Violin and Piano, Op. 12; but when his teacher criticized Fidelio, Beethoven refused to make the suggested changes and remained angry for some time. For his part, Salieri could not accept Beethoven's later music, and it was perhaps partly through his tutelage of Schubert that the young composer became for a time an opponent of Beethoven's music.

Comment

I think the fact that salieri was trying to murder Beethoven all the didnt help there relationship. LOL
        I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
          Antonio Salieri was an influential musician in the late 18th century Vienna, and as we know his pupils included Liszt and Beethoven. However, it seems today he is more likely regarded as the jealous villian in the film 'Amadeus'. His music began to lose popularity at the beginning of the 19th century, but I would have thought a few of his total of forty operas would have gained some recognition today.
          Instead it appears only selections of arias appear on CD, and a recent visit to the classical music section at Tower Records has nothing under his name. Anyone know why this is?

Early in 1799 Beethoven published a set of variations (Wo0 73) on a theme of Salieri and also dedicated to him the Violin Sonatas op.12. From about 1800-1802 Beethoven studied Italian vocal and operatic style with him, but after that there was little contact between the two composers.

Amalie,
          I have three disc in my collection of music by Salieri. They are still available and a great look into his orchestral compostions.

1 - Les Horaces Overture
          Seriramide Overture
          Piano Concerto in C Major
          Piano Concerto in B flat Major
          Variations (24) on "Folia di spagna"
          AVS Label Cat# DCA955

2 - Concerto for Oboe & Cello in C Major
          Concerto for Flute & Oboe in C Major
          Symphony in D Major
          Capriccio Records Cat# 10530

3 - 12 Overtures
          Marco Polo Label Cat# 8.223381

Steve

Comment

Of course this scenario of being jealous of Mozart was false. I also remember B saying nothing but good things of Salieri, regarding his lessons and even his music, ...no?

------------------
            v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited 07-07-2004).]
            v russo

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit:
              I think the fact that salieri was trying to murder Beethoven all the didnt help there relationship. LOL
              Really mrfixit you shouldn't believe all these silly rumours - poor old Salieri, bad enough being accused of murdering Mozart!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have often seen it written that the film Amadeus depicts Salieri murdering Mozart. Actually it does nothing of the sort. It depicts Salieri plotting to kill Mozart, but he dies of natural causes before he is able to carry out his plan. Salieri wishes Mozart to finish writting the requiem, so that he can take it and claim credit for it after the planned murder. But God, who doesn't like Salieri very much, decides to kill Mozart first. The plan is therefore thwarted, as Mozart is unable to finish the requiem.

"It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
                  I have often seen it written that the film Amadeus depicts Salieri murdering Mozart. Actually it does nothing of the sort. It depicts Salieri plotting to kill Mozart, but he dies of natural causes before he is able to carry out his plan. Salieri wishes Mozart to finish writting the requiem, so that he can take it and claim credit for it after the planned murder. But God, who doesn't like Salieri very much, decides to kill Mozart first. The plan is therefore thwarted, as Mozart is unable to finish the requiem.

Yes but of course the mystery commisioner of the requiem who wished to pass it off as his own was Count Walsegg, not Salieri. Interestingly Beethoven was fascinated by this as the many entries in the conversation books reveal. Salieri was supposed to have confessed to the murder of Mozart, but Moschelles reports on his visit to Salieri in 1823 in the general hospital "I can assure you on my word of honour that there is no truth in that absurd rumour that I am supposed to have poisoned Mozart. But no, it's malice, pure malice, tell the world dear Moschlles, old Salieri who will die soon has told you."

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    Yes but of course the mystery commisioner of the requiem who wished to pass it off as his own was Count Walsegg, not Salieri. Interestingly Beethoven was fascinated by this as the many entries in the conversation books reveal. Salieri was supposed to have confessed to the murder of Mozart, but Moschelles reports on his visit to Salieri in 1823 in the general hospital "I can assure you on my word of honour that there is no truth in that absurd rumour that I am supposed to have poisoned Mozart. But no, it's malice, pure malice, tell the world dear Moschlles, old Salieri who will die soon has told you."

I have read that Salieri was not even in Vienna the last few days Mozart was alive.
                    True or not it does not matter. The fact that Salieri's station in life was better then Mozart's would in it's self place a very strong doubt on the accusation. Poor Salieri, he does deserve better.

Comment

My local NYC classical music station WQXR-FM plays Salieri's overtures regularly and I have not heard one which I did not think was quite good or great. Perhaps his operas are worth digging into.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
                      X