• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Kreutzer sonata Op.47

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. Pianos and violins performing together have always been a favorite.

Here's a bit about this sonata from Solomon's "Beethoven":

Beethoven's next composition was the Kreutzer Sonata for Violin and Piano, op.47. "Written in a very concertante style, like that of a concerto", he wrote on the first edition of the Sonata, thus signaling his intention to introduce elements of dynamic conflict into one of the major Classic salon genres and to give equal weight to the two instruments. The Kreutzer Sonata's pianistic style looks forward to the middle-period piano sonatas, and the violin has now, acquired an urgent, declamatory voice. The work is in three movements: an Adagio sostenuto- the only slow introduction in Beethoven's violin sonatas- leading to a dynamically propulsive Presto; an Andante con variazioni; and a witty Presto finale, in tarantelle rhythm, that was originally composed for the Sonata, op. 30 no. 1. In Tolstoy's novel of the same name, a performance of this sonata precipitates the crucial action:"It seemed that entirely new impulses, new possibilities, were revealed to me in myself, such as I had not dreamed of before," says Tolstoy's tragic hero. "Such works should be played only in grave, significant conditions, and only then when certain deeds corresponding to such music are to be accomplished."

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

FINALLY,
      the kreutzer,
      The performance was as usual great although I the violin in the beginning played the "vörschlage" too fast.
      But the presto just sounded overwhelming

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
        FINALLY,
        the kreutzer,
        The performance was as usual great although I the violin in the beginning played the "vörschlage" too fast.
        But the presto just sounded overwhelming
        I agree about the adagio. I have another recording which I have presented here before by Jaap Schroder and Jos van Immerseel that is much better in this respect, but that CD is on loan in Paris at the moment. Still, the current performance is not a bad effort overall.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I agree about the adagio. I have another recording which I have presented here before by Jaap Schroder and Jos van Immerseel that is much better in this respect, but that CD is on loan in Paris at the moment. Still, the current performance is not a bad effort overall.

As always, Rod, thanks for sharing. I remember the other version you posted a while back, and while I am not too keen on either of these, I think this recent was much better, if only because the violin did not sound so out of tune and inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
            As always, Rod, thanks for sharing. I remember the other version you posted a while back, and while I am not too keen on either of these, I think this recent was much better, if only because the violin did not sound so out of tune and inconsistent.
            In the other recording, which on the whole is my favourite of the two, the violin sounds a bit off largely due to the poor quality of the mp3 transition, though there is an issue of vibrato. CM loving friends of mine who have heard the CD itself think it's wonderful. In the current mp3 the violin is much closer and bigger in the 'soundstage', so the loss in quality is less apparent.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              Chris, I would be interested to know your benchmark performance for this piece if these are not up to this standard!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Chris, I would be interested to know your benchmark performance for this piece if these are not up to this standard!

Suk, but that is not a period instrument recording, so it is difficult to compare them directly, of course.

Comment

This is wonderfull. Listening it now. This is the best version i have heard of this peice. *sighs*
                  I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit:
                    This is wonderfull. Listening it now. This is the best version i have heard of this peice. *sighs*
                    Well, I think this recording, and another I refer to above on period instruments, are the best I have heard too, but apparently Mr Suk goes one better! I wonder if Chris will post an mp3 of this?!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-07-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                    X