Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Suicide prevention music' !

Article from the Korean herald, which I have delivered daily of course

"From early July, you might hear comforting classical music like Beethoven's 'Fur Elise' in a subway station. Similar tunes might relieve daily stress, gloomy thoughts and even stop people from jumping in front of running subway trains.
    At least, that's the official thinking. In conjunction with 'suicide prevention music' authorities have come up with every possible way to prevent suicide attempts in subway stations and from bridges."

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:

"From early July, you might hear comforting classical music like Beethoven's 'Fur Elise' in a subway station. Similar tunes might relieve daily stress, gloomy thoughts and even stop people from jumping in front of running subway trains.
    At least, that's the official thinking. In conjunction with 'suicide prevention music' authorities have come up with every possible way to prevent suicide attempts in subway stations and from bridges."

I hope this doesn't make classical lovers suicidal in Korea, nor it becomes Clockwork Orange 2: Mission in Korea .

------------------
    "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

John Suchet, who wrote the "Last Master" trilogy, says that he once met a man who told him that Beethoven saved his life twice. He gave Suchet no details but I have often wondered about it.

Michael

Comment

One has but to read the "Heiligenstadt Testament" of 1802, in which Beethoven bemoans his deafness, hints of suicide, and discloses himself as the unhappiest of men, to realize how great a gap exists between his personal life and his music.
        In the midst of the first anguished realization that his deafness was incurable, Beethoven composed his second symphony in D major, published in 1804 as Opus 36. Powerful, limpid, boisterous, and probably the largest symphony written up to that time, it gives no hint of the morbidity and melancholy which encompassed him.

A.

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Interesting that they choose classical music instead of pop music like the theme from Fame--I'm gonna live forever.

I heard a composer say once that music should be life-affirming. At the time, it sounded a bit simplistic to me, but I think this is true.

Comment

well then they should stick to the up-lifting classics. Not John Cage or one of the serialists, that could be disasterous. You know, the music that Gurn loves so.....

------------------
            v russo
            v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
              well then they should stick to the up-lifting classics. Not John Cage or one of the serialists, that could be disasterous. You know, the music that Gurn loves so.....

Yes I suppose the 2nd mov from Chopin's Bb minor sonata might not have the desired effect!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes I suppose the 2nd mov from Chopin's Bb minor sonata might not have the desired effect!

3rd, the second is a Scherzo .

------------------
                "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
                "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                  3rd, the second is a Scherzo .

Oops, quite right! Interestingly Beethoven did the same in Op.26 which obviously gave Chopin the idea.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Aloha Beloved..Life-Affirming Indeed! Years ago there was a scientific study done on the effects of various musics upon plants. In short
                    it was found that the Classics stimulated the plants twoard a more rapid and robust growth, while RockyRoll had chaotic-stunting effect. If
                    not mistaking, the study was published in a book titled 'The Secret Life of Plants.'

Russo, if you don't, know you might find Schoenberg's 'Five Pieces For Orchestra' (Boulez of course) and his(Schoenberg)
                    'St.Anne's Suite'(JS Bach transcription) delicious.

db
                    doublebass

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dbass:
                      [B]Aloha Beloved..Life-Affirming Indeed! Years ago there was a scientific study done on the effects of various musics upon plants. In short
                      it was found that the Classics stimulated the plants twoard a more rapid and robust growth, while RockyRoll had chaotic-stunting effect. If
                      not mistaking, the study was published in a book titled 'The Secret Life of Plants.'

This sounds like something our Prince of Wales would be interested in, as he is well known as a nature lover and talking to plants.

It was also thought benificial in the Victorian Era for pregnant women to attend classical music concerts, because it was thought the music was uplifting in a spiritual and intellectual sense and aid the unborn babies development.

------------------
                      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                        I hope this doesn't make classical lovers suicidal in Korea, nor it becomes Clockwork Orange 2: Mission in Korea .

*lol*

Comment

Working...
                        X