I need purchasing suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need purchasing suggestions...

I just got a new job, so I can buy lots of cds now...

what should I buy by these guys:

Haydn
    Handel
    Brahms

Those are the three I have no idea where to start with. Also which piece by handel has the "Joy to the world" melody? I always hear it, but I dont know what its from. If you have any other "lesser known" composers and compositions that are worth it please tell me! Also which composition by mozart has the "twinkle twinkle" theme?
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

For Handel, I can suggest the oratorios Messiah and Theodora. He has many other fine works of course, but those are a good place to get started. As for Brahms, you might want to start with his violin concerto.

The composition by Mozart that uses the "Twinkle Twinkle" theme is a theme and variations on that theme. Twelve Variations for piano on "Ah! vous dirai-je, Maman", K. 265.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 06-27-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
      I just got a new job, so I can buy lots of cds now...

what should I buy by these guys:

Haydn
      Handel
      Brahms

Those are the three I have no idea where to start with. Also which piece by handel has the "Joy to the world" melody? I always hear it, but I dont know what its from. If you have any other "lesser known" composers and compositions that are worth it please tell me! Also which composition by mozart has the "twinkle twinkle" theme?
      With Handel I would also say the Concerto grossi Op.6 are a MUST! The opera Julius Caeser is a favourite of mine. I'm sure Rod will have many other great recommendations!

With Brahms, you can combine with Handel and get the superb variations Op.24. Also Brahms variations on a theme by Haydn. The 4 symphonies, German Requiem, 2 piano concertos (I prefer the 2nd though many prefer the darker 1st) and the superb String sextets. The Academic festival overture is a rousing piece that uses German student songs.

With Haydn certainly the last 12 London symphonies. Other outstanding ones are 7, 11, 22, 26, 35, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 49, 52, 53,57, 60, 62, 64, 73, 75, 78, 81-88, 90-2, so you may be better off buying the complete symphonies. 'The Creation' is wonderful and I defy anyone to deny Haydn's greatness after hearing the magnificent powerful chorus that closes part 1 'The heavens are telling'. Both the Theresa mass and the Nelson Mass are great works.
      Of the quartets, Op.33 no.3, Op.55 no.2, Op.64, Op.74, Op.76 and Op.77 are my recommendations along with the piano sonatas no.20 in C minor and nos. 48-52.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree with Peter, Handel's op 6 concerti are superb. Great antidote to Vivaldi. I own a lovely recording of about half the set with William Christie's 'Les Arts Florissants.'

Haydn - op 20 quartets are great too; quatuor mosaiques are supposed to be the recommended version

Brahms - the magnificent clarinet quintet!

Comment

I have become a big fan of complete sets of works,I have Paul Badura -Skoda playing Mozart's Sonatas. And Fritz Kreisler and Franz Rupp playing Beethoven's Complete Violin Sonatas.I have seen Haydn's complete
          Symphonies recently at a great price for the boxed set.
          Muriel
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

From Haydn I suggest you get The Creation (with Karajan or Gardiner), the Season's (idem), the Gardiner 3 cd-set of Masses, Armida (with Harnoncourt or Doráti, I prefer Harnoncourt, which has Cecilia Bartoli in the main role), L'Orfeo (with Hogwood). These are marvelous.

------------------
            "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
              From Haydn I suggest you get The Creation (with Karajan or Gardiner), the Season's (idem), the Gardiner 3 cd-set of Masses, Armida (with Harnoncourt or Doráti, I prefer Harnoncourt, which has Cecilia Bartoli in the main role), L'Orfeo (with Hogwood). These are marvelous.

Could I humbly add Simon Rattle (before the Knighthood) and the CBSO for The Creation The singing in the solo pparts is so pure and joyful

------------------
              Love from London
              Love from London

Comment

I also agree with Handel's Concerto grossi Op.6! A must have! Also if I may add his Water Music Suite and Fireworks, you can't go wrong with old favourites and even The Messiah. I know some hate to recommend the more popular ones but sometimes the more famous ones are a nice way to get started. Rod could surely help you with other suggestions.
                Brahms variations on a theme by Haydn. A favourite and try some of his Hungarian Dances. #4 is a good one! Happy listening!!

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

You should get the Brahms piano quintet, op. 34 in f-minor. It is one of my favorite pieces. I have the Arthur Rubinstein recording with the Guarnari string quartet. I love Handel's Watermusic. I don't really have any Haydn CDs.

Comment

Thank you guys a lot! This is more helpful than you can imagine. I will try and purchase everything you mentioned. I think I will look for a box set when it comes to Haydn Symphonies...

a question about Haydn, how do his symphonies compare to the last 4 of Mozart?

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
                      Thank you guys a lot! This is more helpful than you can imagine. I will try and purchase everything you mentioned. I think I will look for a box set when it comes to Haydn Symphonies...

a question about Haydn, how do his symphonies compare to the last 4 of Mozart?
                      Comparisons are meaningless - you might as well ask how do Mozart's last 4 compare to Beethoven's symphonies? They are different and each is great in their own way; You will not be disappointed but out of at least 104 works, obviously not all are of equal quality which is why I picked out the highlights for you. Although there are gems amongst the earlier symphonies, the last 12 are masterpieces of enormous variety, and the last 6 show the greatest mastery of all.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Actually Peter, I have asked myself a similar question about the Haydn symphonies. I believe his latest ones were actually written after Mozart died, which always takes me by surprise when I think about it, because I suppose I see Haydn as a predecessor of Mozart. But do 'critics' (or musicologists or whatever) see the late Haydn symphonies as building on Mozart and anticipating Beethoven? (Did Haydn know the late Mozart symphonies?) Or are they in an earlier style written by a master who just happened to live longer?

My question is about style and technique; I'm certainly not implying any difference in quality.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMyers:
                          Actually Peter, I have asked myself a similar question about the Haydn symphonies. I believe his latest ones were actually written after Mozart died, which always takes me by surprise when I think about it, because I suppose I see Haydn as a predecessor of Mozart. But do 'critics' (or musicologists or whatever) see the late Haydn symphonies as building on Mozart and anticipating Beethoven? (Did Haydn know the late Mozart symphonies?) Or are they in an earlier style written by a master who just happened to live longer?

My question is about style and technique; I'm certainly not implying any difference in quality.
                          Well yes it is easy to forget that Haydn lived another 18 years after Mozart's death and in that time produced 14 string quartets, 3 piano sonatas, 14 piano trios, 6 masses, 12 symphonies, 2 oratorios - astonishing!

The last 12 symphonies reveal a master of his art who anticipates Beethoven, not a man repeating old formulas - his inventiveness in the last symphonies is limitless and though he clearly knew the last Mozart symphonies, he assimilated rather than immitated.

It is interesting that Rimsky-Korsakov regarded Haydn as the greatest of all masters of orchestration (not surprising when he had an orchestra on tap at Esterhaz!)

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Have a wonderful splurge you've so much joy coming. To add in my twopennorth can I suggest that whatever other version of the Brahms symphonies you get, you purchase the Carlos Kleiber recording of the 4th which is a class of its own - one that even I can recognise instantly on the radio. Also for the Messiah - the Trevor Pinnock/English Consort recording with the late great Arlene Auger and Anne Sofie von Otter is a bit special

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 06-28-2004).]
                            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

"My question is about style and technique; I'm certainly not implying any difference in quality."

This is more of what I was looking for. What are the differences, not "which is better BECAUSE of the differences".

Anyway, after the last few posts I am very interested in these symphonies. I had read in the Marcia Davenport biography of Mozart that Haydn symphonies were "nothing special" next to mozart. She may have been wrong...

Comment

Working...
                              X