Mozarts "Queen of the Night" aria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozarts "Queen of the Night" aria

I recently purchased a CD of the "greatest" Mozart Arias. This Aria had me completely astounded. I couldnt believe that those notes were physically possible to hit. I am truly in shock, and still cant get over the fact that a human being could sing that. So much so that I told my dad it had to be fake, and he said he couldnt believe it either when he saw it live, but it is possible. When I played it for my younger brother he burst out laughing yelling "No No!! That is NOT possible!!!" In fact he STILL thinks its a piccolo dubbed in the right spot.

Has anyone actually heard this live, and know for real if its humanly possible?

The singer on the cd is Cristina Deutekom.
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Of course it's humanly possible. What good would music be that was impossible to perform? I assure you that those notes are really being sung.

Certainly it is rare to have a voice that can hit that note, and much training and practice is required to have the needed command over it. The Queen of the Night part is for a "coloratura soprano," the highest solo female voice there is.

But even among those that can hit those notes, the Queen of the Night is considered one of the most difficult roles in the standard repertoire. The whole part consists only of two short arias and the ensemble finale. But still, it is one of the most difficult. There are five high F's, the highest note in the standard repertoire, total that must be sung. It is quite impressive if someone manages to hit all five in a single performance. Beverly Sills sang this part for a few years, and considered her "batting average" for those high F's to be about four out of five.

So, it is difficult, and it is demanding, but it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      Of course it's humanly possible. What good would music be that was impossible to perform? I assure you that those notes are really being sung.

Certainly it is rare to have a voice that can hit that note, and much training and practice is required to have the needed command over it. The Queen of the Night part is for a "coloratura soprano," the highest solo female voice there is.

But even among those that can hit those notes, the Queen of the Night is considered one of the most difficult roles in the standard repertoire. The whole part consists only of two short arias and the ensemble finale. But still, it is one of the most difficult. There are five high F's, the highest note in the standard repertoire, total that must be sung. It is quite impressive if someone manages to hit all five in a single performance. Beverly Sills sang this part for a few years, and considered her "batting average" for those high F's to be about four out of five.

So, it is difficult, and it is demanding, but it is possible.
      Chris thanks for that post. Anything that can help me comprehend what I consider to be the greatest opera of all time is very welcome

------------------
      Love from London
      Love from London

Comment

It is one of my favorites as well. Tell me, what is your favorite recording? Mine is the Solti/Wiener Philharmoniker with Sumi Jo as the Queen of the Night. She does a wonderful job.

Comment

Working...
        X