Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

purchasing suggestions of another kind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

purchasing suggestions of another kind...

I am looking to purchase a new piano (the family piano is old and in the living room, I cant practice as much as I would like with it there). I need help because I went to THREE websites (the steinway official, and two stores) and none of them would list prices.

So can you name me some pianos and approximate prices (if possible used/new prices)? I am looking for something which isnt a perfect concert hall piano, but something with a really great sound for a reasonable price. I would like maybe a upper-middle class quality piano. This would help me a lot, for I dont know much about pianos.

[This message has been edited by Beyond Within (edited 06-27-2004).]
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Well, first of all, do you have room for a grand piano? A baby grand piano? Only an upright?

One thing I will tell you is to check the classifieds in the newspaper. Universities often replace many pianos at once and sell their old ones, which are often still in great condition, for really low prices. Some people will have a spouse who played the piano die, and they will sell the piano, having no idea what it's worth or not caring. You can find some amazing deals in the classifieds.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

So can you name me some pianos and approximate prices (if possible used/new prices)? I am looking for something which isnt a perfect concert hall piano, but something with a really great sound for a reasonable price. I would like maybe a upper-middle class quality piano. This would help me a lot, for I dont know much about pianos.

Well aside from Steinway, you should consider Bluthner, Bechstein and my own favourite Bosendorfer - however be warned that all of these, even used are pricey (New: probably around £20,000-£30,000 / $35,000-$60,000 for a baby grand). Yamaha also do some fine instruments. I suggest you ask your piano tuner for help on this one, he may well know of a good dealer or a fine instrument that some old lady has left to a niece who doesn't want it! Certainly if you're thinking of used, make sure a good tuner checks it over first.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

A lot of times the classifies are the way to go. That's how I found my piano. It was at an estate sale and I got it for a steal! I don't think the guy knew what he had. He just wanted to sell it! Sometimes at estate sales or garage sales people just want to get rid of items because someone passed away or they're moving and they want to sell these things in a hurry. Also a piano store here has got a big sale on grand pianos going on right now. You might want to check out some stores in the phone book and around your area.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
        X