About Anne S.Mutter,s version of OP61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Anne S.Mutter,s version of OP61

I heard in South american,s summer afternoon the Anne S.Mutter-Masur version of The Violin concerto(op 61).I considered it BRILLANT.Iwould like to know opinions Of members about this.
    If someone has this CD and can share it through the ciberspace,please contact arielkofman@yahoo.com.ar.
    Ipromise to retribute him or her with original artwork from an Argentine artist

Well neither the Karajan or Masur versions are to my taste, far too romantic, out of style for me. I believe Anne-Sophie's is the slowest recording of the work ever!
    I'd recommend Harnoncourt/Gidon Kremer over hers any day.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 06-21-2004).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

And I personally prefer the Perlman/Muti recording, or, for sheer joie de vivre, Kyung Wha Chung/Kondrashin!

------------------
      Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 06-21-2004).]
      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

While I also have other recordings that I really like, that is not to say I don't like this one too. I am talking the Karajan one, I haven't heard the other. I find the accompaniment lacking spirit, no doubt for me anyway, but I also don't think ASM can really be faulted, she plays beautifully on this recording, and is somewhat a victim of the BPO's rather listless ritornello, IMHO. This is surprising to me, coming from Karajan, especially with his protege in the limelight, that he didn't have them redo it until they got it right. Anyway, I think ASM did justice to the work, this was one of those rare times when the BPO simply was not up to the task. Pity really.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by arielkofman:
          I heard in South american,s summer afternoon the Anne S.Mutter-Masur version of The Violin concerto(op 61).I considered it BRILLANT.Iwould like to know opinions Of members about this.
          If someone has this CD and can share it through the ciberspace,please contact arielkofman@yahoo.com.ar.
          It got rather mixed reviews, here in the UK at least. I recommend the version on period instruments with Frans Bruggen and the Orchestra of the 18th Century with Thomas Zehetmair on the violin.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...618543-7339040

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Her recording with Karajan is

SSSSSOOOOOOO

SSSSSLLLLOOOOOWWWWW.....

ZZZZZZZZ.
            Sorry, I nodded off. Can anyone recommend the Masur recording? If so, I might seek it out. I still believe she is a fine artist (despite most opinions to the contrary).
            I have always loved an Isaac Stern recording I have.

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
              Her recording with Karajan is

SSSSSOOOOOOO

SSSSSLLLLOOOOOWWWWW.....

ZZZZZZZZ.
              A lot of recordings of the Violin Concerto are like this, but the one I recommend above is quite the opposite.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                A lot of recordings of the Violin Concerto are like this, but the one I recommend above is quite the opposite.

Rod,
                What is the total time of that performance? I have 4 different ones, none of them HIP, ranging from 41 min to 48 min (Mutter/Karajan). Curious what a properly tempoed HIP performance runs.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by arielkofman:
                  Check out the NAXOS Historical recording from March 1940 by Toscanini (sorry yet again!!) and the NBC Symphony with Jascha Heifetz. It perfectly suits my taste for the Maestro's only Violin Concerto but may not others - however, coupled as it is with the Brahms, again with the magisterial Heifetz, this time with Serge Koussevitzky and the Boston Symphony, it is fantastic value

------------------
                  Love from London
                  Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                    Check out the NAXOS Historical recording from March 1940 by Toscanini (sorry yet again!!) and the NBC Symphony with Jascha Heifetz. It perfectly suits my taste for the Maestro's only Violin Concerto but may not others - however, coupled as it is with the Brahms, again with the magisterial Heifetz, this time with Serge Koussevitzky and the Boston Symphony, it is fantastic value

Tony, if it's Heifetz it has to be good! They play him a lot on the classical radio and it's always a joy to listen too!

------------------
                    'Truth and beauty joined'
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      Rod,
                      What is the total time of that performance? I have 4 different ones, none of them HIP, ranging from 41 min to 48 min (Mutter/Karajan). Curious what a properly tempoed HIP performance runs.

The cadenzas used are the arrangements of Beethoven's own for the piano version, with the duet with the timpani in the first movement. These are by far the best for this piece. Even with the long cadenza this performance is quicker than usual by the clock, i cannot recall the exact figures, but I always expect the first movement to be less than 22 mins with the Beethoven cadenza. The last movement is also tighter than we are used to in this recording and this coupled with the fearsome rattle of the period timpani in particular add a strong martial flavour to the whole piece.

------------------

Comment

Rod,
                        Thanks for that. I found this as promised on the Amazon UK site, but not at Amazon US (no surprise). I will try to hunt it elsewhere. If there is one work I will go out of my way for it is the VC.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:

TJ,
                          I have a Heifetz version also, but it is the Boston Symphony (Munch, I think) and from a slightly later time than that. It is also superb, and they certainly don't poke along through it like the Karajan forces. I think he plays his own cadenzas too, they are certainly not the sae ones used in other versions I have. As Joy says, hard to go wrong with Heifetz, the greatest fiddler of the 20th century!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                            Rod,
                            Thanks for that. I found this as promised on the Amazon UK site, but not at Amazon US (no surprise). I will try to hunt it elsewhere. If there is one work I will go out of my way for it is the VC.
                            Rod,
                            I just found that disk here, it sells as an "import" for around 18 GBP !! Bit much, even for a good disk like that. And the record people complain about poor sales, but they either withhold these things form our market altogether, else they try to finish up thier retirement slush fund with the sale. &^%$*@^%

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment