What are you listening to right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy:
    Some nice choices, Tegan. As for me, Beethoven's Piano Sonata #21 "Waldstein"
    with Richard Raymond, piano. And then later Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 20, and perhaps Brahm's Hungarian Dance No. 4 followed by Beethoven Appassionata!

Thank you! I like yours, too. Does anyone like Artur Schnabel's recordings of the Beethoven sonatas?

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
      Thank you! I like yours, too. Does anyone like Artur Schnabel's recordings of the Beethoven sonatas?

T,
      Yes, I do. Note I mentioned them in that thrad on perfection, he actually was the first to record a complete cycle, and even though he didn't play them note perfect, they are so musically done that they are truly a standard for later performers to follow.

For me right now, the Trio in C for 2 Oboes & English Horn - Op 87 - The Master. Marvelous piece of work, makes you really like wind music if you already didn't!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Saturday night's listening

Mozart's Opera - Die Zauberflote
        from Glyndebourne.
        with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment.

A world class performance!

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

A Liszt morning

St. Francis of Asssisi preaching to the birds. Alfred Brendel (piano)

St Francis of Paolo, walking on the waves
          Nikolai Demidenko (piano)

Symphony poem - Orpheus.

Plus

Handel, Water music Suite in G
          English Baroque Soloists/J.E.Gardiner

Haydn, Piano Trio D major.

Weber, Overture to Der Freischutz
          Dresden Staatskapelle/Carlos Kleiber

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-13-2004).]

Comment

A.
            I note it is also a "list" morning

For me though, lovely Sunday sunshine, perfect morning to listen to Beethoven for Breakfast, today the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Berliners (not the pastries!) led by van Karajan, Then a round of golf. Why can't life always be this good?

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              [B]A.
              I note it is also a "list" morning

For me though, lovely Sunday sunshine, perfect morning to listen to Beethoven for Breakfast, today the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Berliners (not the pastries!) led by van Karajan, Then a round of golf. Why can't life always be this good?

Dear Gurn, you know I love Beethoven's great earth shattering pile driver of a symphony, the 9th, and it sounds as though you are listening to the version I have, but I am afriad I have to pick my moments when listening to it. I dont' think I could digest it properly at breakfast time,
              It demands too much of my attention.
              Sometimes I think I just want to live in the 9th, sorry if that doesn't make sense, but that is the feeling I get. As with much of his music I guess.
              I have Beethoven at Bedtime. I love it!

For now I am content with the Beethoven's piano sonata, the brilliant - Les Adieux
              and the Piano Trios, with the Beaux Arts Trio.

Have a great day and enjoy your round of golf!

A.

------------------

Comment

Last night I watched Mozart's "Die Entführung aus dem Serail" on TV. This was a 2004 production from the Zurich Opera House starring Klaus Maria Brandauer as Pasha Selim, Malin Hartelius as Constanze, Patricia Petibon as Blonda, Piotr Beczala as Belmonte, Boguslav Bidzinski as Pedrillo and Alfred Muff as Osmin.

This was the first time I have seen this opera in its entirety. Quite enjoyable.

Comment

For me on this beautiful sunny morning by the poolside its been a Baroque kind of day via the radio with Carl Friedrich Abel, Overture in C op.1 #2;
                  Christoph Willibald Gluck, Don Juan, Chaconne, Orchestra of the 18th century;
                  Johann Sebastian Bach, Capriccio on the Departure of his Most Beloved Brother, Jean-Louis Steuermann, piano;
                  Jean-Philippe Rameau, Pygmalion, Suite;
                  and last night it was Beethoven's Piano Sonata #21, The Waldstein, music to sleep by; also today Beethoven's Piano Concerto #1!! A good day!
                  Tegan, yes, I quite enjoy Schnabel's Beethoven Sonatas. I hear them soemtimes on the radio! good choice!
                  Gurn, enjoy your 9th and your 9 rounds of golf on a beautiful Texas day!!

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                    but I am afriad I have to pick my moments when listening to it. It demands too much of my attention.

[/B]
                    I have to agree Amalie, The 9th definitely demands my attention to the fullest and while listening I have to sit and give it my all without doing anything else, just attentively listening with all my might and NO interruptions!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-13-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      I have to agree Amalie, The 9th definitely demands my attention to the fullest and while listening I have to sit and give it my all without doing anything else, just attentively listening with all my might and NO interruptions!!

That's great Joy,

I guess all classical music is demanding, but Beethoven's music is rightly demanding in a special way. And of course the great man would be less than pleased, to say the least, if anyone listened to his music with less that 100% attention!
                      I could easily live in his music!

It is interesting you mentioned, Carl Friedrich Abel, I heard his piano concerto's in my friends car on the way to work and we both liked his music very much.
                      My dear friend and colleague is great, she loves classical music and plays it every morning as we travel to work.
                      As a consequence I bought the CD with Abel's Piano Concerto's op. 11.
                      My friend likes the more rousing pieces first thing in the morning.

Comment

Right now I am listening to some eiree Finnish music on the Radio. Sounds like the very plaintive cry of whales communicating to one another, along with other wierd oceanic sounds.

A.

------------------

Comment

Well, I can listen to the 9th through anything, perhaps because my ability to concentrate on something is one of my great assets. I can read a book in a riot. "What riot?", says he! And the golf was excellent, thank you ladies so much! 32 deg now though, glad I'm done
                          Also glad because now I am listening to Pable Casals and Rudolf Serkin playing Beethoven's Sonata in D major for Cello & Piano - #5 - Op 102 #2, and you can't beat that on a hot afternoon with a cool drink!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hey, you all! I find it's not fair to listen so much music and I could not...
                            Back on the plot with Wolfrl, Symphonies 1, 4, 5, 6, 43, 7, 45a...

Comment

radiohead - pyramid song

but most of yesterday I was listening to some great Beethoven piano sonatas (played by Vladimir Ashkenazy) - moonlight, les adieux, and tempest.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                                Hey, you all! I find it's not fair to listen so much music and I could not...
                                Back on the plot with Wolfrl, Symphonies 1, 4, 5, 6, 43, 7, 45a...
                                P.
                                Welcome back, as you see we had to carry some weight for you because you weren't holding up your end. The ladies did the hard work as usual, but I pitched in. Did you notice that Amalie had a "List of Liszt" this morning? It was OK, but I kinda like your symphonies better.
                                And I should add, mine too, becasue I am now listening to the Symphony in A major, #7 - Op 92 - BPO/Karajan again. Good stuff!!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment