Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
    very satisfying, if not great, England 3-0 victory over Switzerland

Judith, don't talk about that. I hoped David will ....... on Goliath's leg as my consolation I prefer momentary Wolfrl's 'Bandelterzett' KV441

Comment

BEETHOVEN - Six National airs with variations for flute and piano Opus 105.

Sparkling and beautifully played!

A

------------------
      ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

KV396, KV414, Vesper Solennes KV339, Choral Fantasy Op.80 and now my bunch of Scottish Songs, a typical early morning of a Highland laddie...

Comment

So, we have all had busy evenings, and now the wonderful Friday morning brings with it Concerto in e minor for Cello & Orchestra - Op 85 - Sir Edward Elgar - This is not bad stuff for a Brit, quite a surprise! Pretty sure he was just a Lowland Laddie though, P.
          db - Dragonetti! Cool. In addition to one of the coolest names around, I understand he had a wealth of talent. I've seen Meyer. he DOES have a wealth of talent. Yeah, there are some good bass fiddlers around right now, it is a good time to be alive!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I heard a great performance on public radio last night of Mahlers 3rd conducted by Maazel with the NY Philharmonic.

Beautifully done~

------------------
            v russo
            v russo

Comment

Dragonetti is nice, also Richard Hick-Ox!
              Mass in C major, Op.86
              Elegischer Gesang Op.118
              Meeresstille und Glückliche Fahrt, Op.112
              (Collegium Musicum, R. Hickox)

Bona Nox

Comment

P.
                See you have the good stuff again!
                For me, is also pretty good, although a little more unusual. It is the Concerto in d minor for Violin & Orchestra - Aram Khatchaturian. Now, there is some good stuff!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  P.
                  See you have the good stuff again!
                  For me, is also pretty good, although a little more unusual. It is the Concerto in d minor for Violin & Orchestra - Aram Khatchaturian. Now, there is some good stuff!

Gurn, but I can't beat your exclusivity, at least since I listen to two ordinary Piano Concertos by Wolfgangus Theophilus. It is the #21 in C major and #24 in C minor.
                  Happy finish work - it's Friday!
                  I will listen soon to the Italian national anthem...

Comment

P.
                    Well, at least you don't suffer anyway, I can listen to those concertos a lot.
                    But now, still the 20th century. I don't know what has come over me lately, this wave of modernism! It is the Concerto in D major for Violin - Op 35 - Erich Korngold - This was written between the two World Wars, Korngold was mostly a writer of music for the movies, but sometimes wrote real music too (like Rachmaninov!) that was very Neo-Romantic.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven this evening with -
                      Concecration of The House
                      and the 'little symphony' no.8

A great performance by, The Halle Orchestra, conducted by, Mark Elder.

------------------

Comment

Aloha Gurn et Beloved..'modernism' eh? Nothing wrong with that and its to be expected. Its called growth. You see, I have this broken big toe and am laid up trying to amuse myself, tis how I found all you lovely folks on this site. When a random password is needed for anything, with me its 'Beethoven.' ..and, here all you people are.

Korngold Violin concerto? Yes,ok. Go for Max Bruch Violin con. #1 in G min. and move happily onto his 'Scottish Fantasy' for Violin and Orch. Like the Korngold they are both romantic in phrase and style.

Modern? Well, why not dose yrself completly
                        with the Penderecki Capriccio for Violin and Orchestra and his Polymorphia for 48 Strings?' Get some rest and then take on Alfred Schnittke, his Viola Concerto with Yuri Bashmet on Viola. Sublime! Absolutely sublime!! The problem with the so called 'moderns' is the price (if you can get them) of their scores to follow along the action.

I noted you fancy the Khachaturian Violin concerto. Another romantic really though he does lean toward modern world music using much of the folksy idioms of his native Georgia, then USSR. It is a great Violin Concerto. I heard P.Rhampal do it on his flaut, forget which sym. orch. it was.

Do you folks care much about 'World Music?'
                        Its a relatively new genus Kronos Quartet
                        does considerable. YoYo Ma's contribution
                        is heard in his "Silk Road Journey.'

Hope I am not out of line with this sort of posting. All here is meant well.

a hui ho
                        db
                        doublebass

Comment

DoubleBassoon
                          Watch out, not to increase the bad habits of our Gurn. Suddenly he will like such Modernism and a pretty good collection of CM CD's is to get on eBay...
                          I have a disk of Korngold too (unfortunately no Concerto in D), which is merely disappointing, at least for my 'Vienna'-ears.
                          For me the usual 'Old-Fashionism', Franz Schubert, String Quartets D353 and then D810 'Death and the Maiden' ahh..that will thrill me around...

Comment

Oh my, we are all busy this fine evening!
                            Amalie,
                            Nice choice. Tell me please about the Halle Orchestra. Historically Informed Performance (HIP)? I have never heard of them, but I found a similarly situated not long ago (The Pettit Bande) and they turned out to be grat HIP performers, in this case of Haydn. So I am always looking.

db,
                            Nothing is out of place here, you listen to it, we'll listen of it! As my friends will tell you, I have always considered Dvorak to be the ragged edge of modernism, so what you have seen here lately from me is outright radical, although it is only Bartok, Prokofiev, Shostakovich and some neo-Romantics like Korngold and Elgar. But I also have a Schnittke Violin Sonata (really!) coupled on a disk with a Haydn one. Someone had a big sense of humor at Chandos, no? Penderecki is just a touch too far on the edge for me yet, but I am working up to it. The music itself took 300 years, so I might be able to make it in 300 days, but no promises! Oh yes, BTW, I really like Khatchaturian's Violin Concerto, I love any and all VC's, as they were my introduction to CM. Back then, it was genre, not era. Ah, the simple days

P.
                            What Korngold do you have? Movie themes? I think Korngold was actually Viennese, he emigrated for political reasons as so many did. I am pleased that you are not at least complaining about that Schubert. It shows you have maintained your tenuous grip on sanity through the Korngold disappointment

For me, is such a simpler choice. Quartet in C major - #9 - Op 59 #3 - The Master - Tokyo String Quartet. For those desperate people who must put music into stylistic groups, I wonder what you make of this work? Early Late Beethoven, perhaps?

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              [B]Oh my, we are all busy this fine evening!
                              Amalie,
                              Nice choice. Tell me please about the Halle Orchestra. Historically Informed Performance (HIP)? I have never heard of them, but I found a similarly situated not long ago (The Pettit Bande) and they turned out to be grat HIP performers, in this case of Haydn. So I am always looking.

G'd sunny mornin' Gurn,

The Halle Orchestra is based in Manchester, England. Established a world class reputation under the baton of the brilliant Sir John Barbirolli. I suppose the 50s and 60s were the glory years for the Halle under Barbirolli, though I have to say their performance of last night of Beethoven's 8th was really excellent, they can hold it with the best, though I am not sure what their coverage is in America. They are particularly good at Beethoven and Brahms.

Here are a couple of links of interest.
                              Manchester Celebrities, http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/cel...-theatre1.html

* http://www.wardle.demon.co.uk/orch.html
                              with links to CD's

For now Beethoven is never very far from my clutches, listening to his compelling masterpiece, the 'WALDSTEIN' Sonata op.53

Played by Melvyn Tan, on an 1815 Streicher.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-19-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                                P.
                                What Korngold do you have? Movie themes? I think Korngold was actually Viennese, he emigrated for political reasons as so many did. I am pleased that you are not at least complaining about that Schubert. It shows you have maintained your tenuous grip on sanity through the Korngold disappointment

Gurn
                                I'm listening now to Erich Wolfgang Korngold. Although it already goes on my nerves again. Here is the playing list of this CD:

1.Prelude to Act II from 'Die tote Stadt' Op.12
                                2.Sursum Corda, symphonic overture, Op.13
                                3.Baby Serenda Op.24
                                4.Prelude and Serenade from 'Der Schneemann'
                                5.Interlude from 'Das Wunder der Helliane'

Even he lived in Vienna, it sounds not like the 'Wiener Klassik', which I do prefer. Basta!

Comment

Working...
                                X