Have you ever notice.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever notice.....

Have you ever really noticed how many composers that are not of the greatness of a Bach, Mozart, Beethoven etc., that compose not more than one or two outstanding pieces of music? Here are a couple of examples:
    Karl Goldmark - Rustic Wedding Symphony
    ( Which by the way is not symphony)
    Bedrich Smetana - Ma Vlast
    Cesar Frank - Symphony in D minor
    Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov - Caucasian Sketches
    Adolphe Adam - remembered mainly for 'Giselle' and a Christmas carol
    And how about Ernest Chausson - Symphony in B flat major.
    How many more do any of you people know about?

King,
    There are many, in the rock 'n roll world they are called "one-hit wonders". Another off the top of my head is
    Edouard Lalo - Symphonie Espagnole, (which, BTW, is NOT a symphony either, but a 5 movement violin concerto of excellent quality)
    Karl Goldmark - Concerto in a minor for Violin & Orchestra (sorry, couldn't resist. OK, 2-hit wonder )
    Good idea, how about any one else?

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

PACHELBEL!! the epitome (sp?) of the term "one-hit wonder"

Comment

It is a bit early in the morning, but Carl Maria von Weber comes to mind with his enormous success all over Europe, 'Der Freischutz'.

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-11-2004).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Bruch - Violin Concerto
          Bizet - Carmen (though there is the L'arissiene suite and the symphony in C).
          Glinka - Rusmin and Ludmilla
          Albinoni - Adagio
          Percy Grainger - English country garden.
          Holst - The Planets
          Dukas - Sorcerer's apprentice
          Bellini - Norma
          Mascagni - Cavalleria Rusticana
          Jihann Strauss Sr. - Radetsky march
          Reznicek - Donna Diana
          Rubinstein - Melody in F
          Massenet - Meditation from Thais
          Khachaturian - Spartacus
          Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
          Anon - Greensleeves

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Of course, I have to mention Anselm Hüttenbrenner! I don't think, he was a day fly, because he wrote 8 Symphonies, Chamber music, 10 Masses, 5 Requiems, 220 Songs, 8 Operas, 300 Quartets for Men and Choir... But almost nothing is published until today. All the original partitures, most of them only existing as autographs, are still lieing in Graz, Austria (Musikwissenschaftliches Institut)

I suppose, this is an unexplored gold mine!
            Franz Schubert said: "You are my musical mainstay!" for me, this says more than thousand words!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 06-11-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              Bruch - Violin Concerto

I suppose you mean Bruch's first Violin Concerto in G minor, Op.26. I agree with Max, who could be pretty rude, if all the fiddlers just asked for his first Concerto. "I wrote so many other works, which are not bader, or even better than the Concerto in G!" he said. In my opinion, this is absolutely true!

Comment

Here is one I thought would appear right off, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-11-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                  Here is one I thought would appear right off, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

2 hits--Catuli Carmina.

Herold --Zampa (only the overture remains)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    Bruch - Violin Concerto
                    Bizet - Carmen (though there is the L'arissiene suite and the symphony in C).
                    Glinka - Rusmin and Ludmilla
                    Albinoni - Adagio
                    Percy Grainger - English country garden.
                    Holst - The Planets
                    Dukas - Sorcerer's apprentice
                    Bellini - Norma
                    Mascagni - Cavalleria Rusticana
                    Jihann Strauss Sr. - Radetsky march
                    Reznicek - Donna Diana
                    Rubinstein - Melody in F
                    Massenet - Meditation from Thais
                    Khachaturian - Spartacus
                    Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue
                    Anon - Greensleeves

I am sorry Peter but that "guy" 'Anon' has done many wonderful works.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

It is a bit early in the morning, but Carl Maria von Weber comes to mind with his enormous success all over Europe, 'Der Freischutz'.

I guess this is like Hüttenbrenner, for I have all Weber's operas and after Freischuetz, Euryanthe and Oberon are very good too, Oberon is being performed by Gardiner this season. There is also his Invitation to the Dance, which got quite famous and other works of him were quite famous as well in the romantic period, in the 19th century people seemed to forget the old masters which weren't that popular, and Salieri also comes here, by the advent of atonalism and other vanguarde movements in music, today (thank God) with the Big Bang of musicology and period research we can breath more happilly thinking that such composers may finally be restored from the shadow they were left in (Weber, Salieri, Spohr, Marschner et al).

------------------
                      "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
                      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Bedrich Smetana - Ma Vlast

And his Bartered Bride and The Moldau. A 3 hit wonder perhaps?!!

------------------
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 06-11-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          And his Bartered Bride and The Moldau. A 3 hit wonder perhaps?!!

Sorry Joy, the Moldau is part of Ma Vlast. We are back to 2.
                          I know how popular the Moldau is but I personally enjoy it more when I hear it with the rest of the symphonic poems. All six of them tie very nicely together.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-12-2004).]

Comment

Sorry Joy, the Moldau is part of Ma Vlast. We are back to 2.
                            I know how popular the Moldau is but I personally enjoy it more when I hear it with the rest of the symphonic poems. All six of them tie very nicely together.

You're right, Stephen, we are back to two. I was contemplating that when I posted but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up!

------------------

Comment

Smetana's string quartet 'From my Life' is pretty good. Not a hit, I guess, but very striking for its graphic depiction of the onset of deafness in the last movt - yes, Smetana went deaf too, though by all accounts he didn't cope with it quite as well as our very own Ludvig.

Comment

Working...
                              X