Saw the Ninth live on Tuesday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw the Ninth live on Tuesday!

This past Tuesday (Jun 8), I got to see a live performance of Beethoven's 9th symphony! What an amazing experience! There is so much emotion in that piece of music. It's amazing that someone who's been dead for almost 2 centuries can still speak to you on such a personal level (and that goes for most of his work, not just this symphony).
    Thank you, Beethoven.

I love the first movement in particular.

The performance was in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, by the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. On Sept 2, they are going to be playing the 5th symphony (my favorite at this stage in my life) outdoors! I cannot wait for that. I know it will be incredible.

Originally posted by cosplusisin:
    This past Tuesday (Jun 8), I got to see a live performance of Beethoven's 9th symphony! What an amazing experience! There is so much emotion in that piece of music. It's amazing that someone who's been dead for almost 2 centuries can still speak to you on such a personal level (and that goes for most of his work, not just this symphony).
    Thank you, Beethoven.

The performance was in Edmonton, Alberta Canada, by the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. On Sept 2, they are going to be playing the 5th symphony (my favorite at this stage in my life) outdoors! I cannot wait for that. I know it will be incredible.

I suppose we all experience the feeling particularly when listening to the 9th of being caught up in some vast swirling new creation where all the old sign posts have been obliterated.
    I think myself, it is almost like Beethoven imagined man as some higher or newer creation who was given re-birth through the music. Certainly the higher ideals of the ninth, we are still grappling to try to come to terms with them, even now.
    Beethoven was always far ahead of us and leading us to those higher sunlit uplands.
    Beethoven's 9th is not just music, it is a living potent force! and is with us all the time.

Gurn listens to it every Sunday, so I am sure he can let us have the benefit of his own acquired insights in this respect..

A.

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Thank you, Beethoven.

Wonderful experiences to see these live and I agree the first movement in particular of the 9th is overwhelming. I was fortunate last august to see the 5th performed in Vienna, in the actual theatre it was first performed in - wonderful!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I remember, I was with you Peter - quite wonderful!

But the first symphony I heard live was the Pastoral way back in the early 80's, performed by a school orchestra at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Looking back on it, the sound must have been awful but at the time I was just so thrilled to be hearing the piece live!

Bernard

Comment

wow! that must be quite the experience!!! to be in the same room where it was performed as a new piece of music!!! that beats any concert i've been to!

a funny thing about this 9th symphony performance is that it was for a two-night event called "More Than Mozart", and on the first night they did:
          :: Mozart overture (missed it - can't remember which one)
          :: Mozart concerto for flute and harp in C major
          :: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

and on the second night they did:
          :: Beethoven Egmont overture (beautiful)
          :: Haydn - sinfonia concertande in b flat major(or something like that - it was the first time I had heard it)
          :: Haydn - organ concerto (don't know the number)
          :: Mozart - 38th symphony ("Prague")

and the funny thing is how similar it is to what is mentioned in this other thread: http://www.gyrix.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001576.html

it seems someone must be copying someone else. oh well.. more great music around the world!

Comment

wow! that must be quite the experience!!! to be in the same room where it was performed as a new piece of music!!!
            Yes it was and you can read about our trip here www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/viennatrip.html

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X