Less often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less often

I wanted to let my friends here know that I'll be posting less often from now on. I've retired from my career as a computer programmer, and while I was still working I had quite bit of free time but needed to still sit at my computer at my job, giving a lot of opportunities for internet surfing and discussion. Now I'm online less, and more preoccupied with my own sculpture and painting, which is going thru a good creative period right now. The degree to which I'm wrapped up in my own art has lessened the need to discuss classical music online. Though I do a lot of listening while painting.

I nonetheless miss you all and will check in from time to time. I've mentioned before, in response to requests, putting photos of my art online. But they are bas relief sculptures which are then painted, and do not photograph well. The depth of the relief gets lost in the photograph, and because of that the sense of the work is not there. If and when I solve that problem I will be sure and post a URL address here for anyone interested to have a look. In the meantime I am too involved in making them to work on the photographing problem.
    (Also if I have a gallery show I will put a notice of that here too, although that will not be of much use to people who don't live near New York.)

Best to all, and keep up all the great listening and discussion.

See you,
    Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 06-05-2004).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Dear Chaszz, we will all miss your wit and knowledge on this Forum. Thanks for letting us know of your plans. Please do try and show us some of your art work as it would be interesting to see. Congratulations on your retirement, always a good thing! Much success and keep in touch!!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Chaszz, I agree with Joy and like to wish you all the best too. I'm wondering, how your arts are looking like and I'm looking forward, till you'll show them to us! thanks.

Comment

We're going to miss you here, Chaszz, but I'm sure that you will pop in from time to time to see what we are up to here. Take care and good luck with your artistic endeavours. All the best to you and enjoy your retirement.

Comment

We'll miss your frequent contributions, Chaszz. Do stop by when you can.

Comment

Chaszz,
            You don't get away that easily. I have something really special for you to listen to.

Plus a book on an 'Eyewitness account of the stage rehearsals of the First Bayreuth Festival. By Heinrich Porges.

And a moving scene and letters from Cosima when Wagner died.

Can you identify the fantastic orchestra that plays a part of Parsifal in a way I have never heardit played before - ethereal, otherworldly with a glorious and very beautiful floating quality.

I guess it must be a German Orchestra before the war, because without being critical, modern orchestras to me seem to play this great music in a quite sterile way, which entirely misses the profound spirituality of the works. It really is a gem to listen to though it is only a short exerpt. But if you could find out what orchestra it is and recording I would immediately try to purchase it in London.

The page is -> http://www.porges.net/WagnerRehearsingRing.html

Best Wishes
            Amalie
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

So for now it's adieux and after hopefully a brief L'absence we look forward to le Retour. Your contributions will most certainly be missed.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 06-05-2004).]
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Good luck Chaszz If I am ever in the "Big Apple" I will look out for your work

All the best

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Chaszz,
                  congratulations!,freedom at last to make art.
                  I can't wait to see the results.
                  Muriel
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Chaszz,
                    Although I do not personally know you, I do know that all of us on this web site are people of kindred spirt. I congradulate you on your retirement and wish you success in your future endeavors. Good luck and good fortune to you.
                    Steve

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-06-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Chaszz,
                      You don't get away that easily. I have something really special for you to listen to.

Plus a book on an 'Eyewitness account of the stage rehearsals of the First Bayreuth Festival. By Heinrich Porges.

And a moving scene and letters from Cosima when Wagner died.

Can you identify the fantastic orchestra that plays a part of Parsifal in a way I have never heardit played before - ethereal, otherworldly with a glorious and very beautiful floating quality.

I guess it must be a German Orchestra before the war, because without being critical, modern orchestras to me seem to play this great music in a quite sterile way, which entirely misses the profound spirituality of the works. It really is a gem to listen to though it is only a short exerpt. But if you could find out what orchestra it is and recording I would immediately try to purchase it in London.

The page is -> http://www.porges.net/WagnerRehearsingRing.html

Best Wishes
                      Amalie
                      Thank you, Amalie, for this fascinating link. The orchestra and conductor are not identified, but I suspect it may be Dr. Karl Muck. He soaked up some of the atmosphere of the original Bayreuth while Wagner was still alive, and then became the leading conductor of the first post-Wagner years, for a generation. Parsifal was his specialty. He recorded extensive excerpts from Parsifal, as well as other Wagner overtures and preludes, in 1927 and 1928, and these recordings can be heard today at www.naxos.com using their search engine. The selections are worth registering for if you are not registered there already. Then using their search engine, put 'muck' in the artist field and 'wagner' in the composer field.

The recordings are extraordinary. Despite the early dates, the sound is quite acceptable and the interpretations are magical. He is my favorite Wagner conductor just on the basis of these excerpts. The CDs can be purchased thru amazon or the naxos site.

(In an ironic valedictory coincidence for me, they are displaying on the main Naxos page today (at least in the USA) an album of early recordings by Louis Armstrong. You might give one or two of these a try, especially 'Confessin' and 'Stardust', bearing in mind that music is among other things the art of inspired variations.)

Tnaks all for the well wishes, good luck to all and I'll drop by periodically,

Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 06-07-2004).]
                      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        and I'll drop by periodically,

Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 06-07-2004).]
                        Glad to hear it!

------------------

Comment

..best of luck to you while practicing your art. If ever you have an exhibition here in the city, please let me know

------------------
                          v russo
                          v russo

Comment

Looking forward to see some of your artwork, Chazz. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited 06-08-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                            X