Ode to Joy vs MS Gloria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ode to Joy vs MS Gloria

In my view the Ode to Joy in the 9th is far weaker musically than the Gloria found in the Missa Solemnis.

The OtJ may be more hummable, and possibly more easily recognized by the masses... but passage by passage the MS Gloria far out ranks and out powers the OtJ chorus.

The MS Gloria's finale is an absolutely outstanding Amen with all of the punch that only LVB could provide. And that punch is not paralleled anywhere in that OtJ.

The best part of this movement finale is that it is immediately followed by the even more powerful opening choruses of the Credo.

To date I have not found any choral music more powerfully and elegantly stated than these two passages in the MS op 123. And I believe that noone has ever exceeded that musical product.

Then there are those last 9 minutes of the MS ... Dona Nobis Pacem... which represent some of the most superb choral music ever composed.

In a nutshell... The MS op 123 is by far superior to the 9th op 125. And if these two works are heard often enough, then it becomes apparent that really only the 1st movement of the 9th op 125 stands very well in comparison to the MS op 123.

I hope that this is fair comment on LVB's absolute depth of genius.

------------------
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Indeed you make a fair point with regard to the greatness of the Missa, but it doesn't diminish the 9th. We can also argue that the 1st movement of the 9th is superior to anything in the Eroica, this doesn't mean the Eroica is sub-standard! These great masterpieces stand on their own which is why comparisons can be fruitless.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Both works have different purposes in terms of emotional and spiritual effect. But compare the lovely andante of the 9th with the Sanctus--particularly the benedictus. And the energy of the scherzo with the main fugues of the gloria and the credo. Hmmmm....

Comment

Working...
      X