Tribute to Ronald Smith from the Beethoven Reference Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tribute to Ronald Smith from the Beethoven Reference Site

Sadly this fine musician died a few days ago having given his last recital in Brighton only on the 23rd May playing Beethoven Op.53, Alkan Op.31,8, Op.39,12. Chopin Op.25, Liszt Les jeux d'eaux a la villa d'este and Hungarian Rhapsody no.6 - he was 82 and famous for his formidable stamina, rigorous intellect and brilliant technique. His debut with Sir Henry Wood heralded his concert career, but he is also credited with establishing the works of Alkan who had lain neglected.

For more on him and his incredible 80th birthday recital http://www.musicweb.uk.net/SandH/200...nald_Smith.htm

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 06-04-2004).]
    'Man know thyself'

Very interesting article on this great pianist. Peter, did you meet him or ever see him play being that he was close to you?

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Very interesting article on this great pianist. Peter, did you meet him or ever see him play being that he was close to you?

He was a close friend of my piano teacher and I was due to attend that last recital but unfortunately couldn't make it - his performance of Op.111 on his 80th birthday was remarkable by all accounts - a phenomenal talent.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        He was a close friend of my piano teacher and I was due to attend that last recital but unfortunately couldn't make it - his performance of Op.111 on his 80th birthday was remarkable by all accounts - a phenomenal talent.

Christine should be proud!

------------------

Comment

Working...
        X