No announcement yet.

A conductor for the ages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone interested in the Lully story, this is a movie I watched and liked very much, about Lully and his relationship with the king, the court and other musicians, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244173/

Enjoy .

------------------
    "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      How about Berlioz conducting some 200 musicians in the Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale with a sword marching through the streets of Paris to the place de la Bastille - despite the amazing spectacle (all were dressed in the uniform of the National Guard), the music was lost due to the difficulties of coordination and a cacophony of side drums drowning out the rousing Apotheosis finale.

And there was Brahms way of conducting, most of the time with one hand in his pocket. May be he was afraid of losing his pocket money.

Comment

I would have to agree with Gurn. I too would love to have been living in Vienna back in Beethoven's time and to have been able to see him perform live. But what is wonderful about living in Vienna now, as I am, I feel that I am already half way there. I have been to many of the places where he actually performed or conducted his works and if I just close my eyes and hear his music, I feel I have been transported back in time. Actually being able to see and live amoung the places where Beethoven lived, composed and performed here in Vienna is the best thing that could ever happen to this gal from Los Angeles, CA.

[This message has been edited by Andrea (edited 06-04-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
          How about Lully , who while keeping time to the music with a staff hitting the floor, inadvertenly struck his foot, which became infected and hence led to his demise.
          What a way to go.......
          For that matter how about Tchaikovsky while conducing it was told that he held onto his head for fear it would fall off.

Where do these stories come from?????
          [This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-03-2004).]

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-03-2004).]
          Yes, Lully's death was delightfully ironic. Here are some more strange and ironic composer deaths:

Anton Webern. In 1945, after fleeing Nazis, he ended up in a town near Salzburg that was occupied by US forces. He walked on to his balcony one night and lit a cigarette. A jittery soldier saw something out of the corner of his eye and shot him. (shoot first, ask questions later).

Charles Henri Valentin Alkan. A deeply religious composer. While reaching for the Talmud on the top shelf, his bookcase fell over and crushed him. He died on Holy Thursday 1888. He was buried on April 1st 1888. Irony.

Frantisek Koczwara. Czech composer 1730-1791. I saved the best for last. He died from autoerotic asphyxiation. Not particularly ironic, but fascinating, nevertheless...

Comment

Working...
          X