A conductor for the ages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A conductor for the ages?

Crikey, I would have loved to live contemporaneously with B, in Vienna, just to bear witness to some of these things. Many moments are profound times in the history of music. Then there are these;

"Beethoven was playing a new concerto of his (own composition) but already, at the first tutti, forgetting that he was the soloist, he jumped up and began to conduct in his own fashion. At the first sforzando he threw out his arms so wide that he kocked over both the lamps from the music stand of the piano. The audience laughed, and Beethoven was so beside himself that he made the orchestra stop and start over. Seyfried, worried that this would happen again at the same place, took the precaution of having two choir boys stand next to Beethoven holding the lamps in their hands. One of them innocently stepped forward to follow the music from the piano part. But when the fatal sforzando burst forth, the poor boy received such a sharp slap from Beethoven's right hand that he dropped the lamp on the floor. The other, more wary boy, who had anxiously been following Beethoven's movements succeeded in avoiding the blow by ducking in time. If the audience had laughed the first time, they now indulged in a truly Bacchanalian riot. Beethoven broke out in such a fury that when he struck the first chord of the solo he broke 6 strings. Every effort of the music lovers to restore calm and attention was completely unavailing for some time; thus the first allegro of the concerto was completely lost to the audience."

Louis Spohr "Autobiography"

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By way of a counterpoint to Gurn's amusing and fascinating cameo of Beethoven in performance as it were, I was reminded of an altogether sadder occasion in the Maestro's conducting career as follows:-

For the revival of 'Fidelio' in November 1822, Beethoven ill-advisedly insisted on conducting the dress rehearsal with the help of Michael Umlauf. During the duet between Macellina and Jacquino, Umlauf was forced to halt the performance when the orchestra was led out of tempo with the singers by the deaf conductor. When Beethoven realized what had happened, he rushed back to his apartment, threw himself on the sofa, and covered his face with his hands. This hurt and shame were partly compensated for by the truimphant visible applause of the audience after the premiere of the Ninth Symphony.
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
      Yeah, I saw that one too, but it was too sad for me. I think that when (1808) the first happened, he wasn't being deaf, just carried away. Some others that I ran across involved his style of rising up at the 'forte' and sinking down below the level of the podium at the 'piano', then suddenly jumping up to urge the orchestra on in a crescendo. Truly an idiosyncratic style and quite a picture! Good old Ludwig, never left you unsatisfied, one way or the other!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

How about Lully , who while keeping time to the music with a staff hitting the floor, inadvertenly struck his foot, which became infected and hence led to his demise.
        What a way to go.......
        For that matter how about Tchaikovsky while conducing it was told that he held onto his head for fear it would fall off.

Where do these stories come from?????
        [This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-03-2004).]

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 06-03-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
          How about Lully , who while keeping time to the music with a staff hitting the floor, inadvertenly struck his foot, which became infected and hence led to his demise.
          What a way to go.......
          King,
          I don't know Lully, so I can't place him in time, but maybe he was conducting B's 5th Concerto? Irony, yes! There are a few conductors around who, it is said, would not be worthy of even that good a fate... no names named, of course!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn, Jean-Baptiste Lully 1632 - 1687

Comment

Gurn, Jean-Baptiste Lully 1632 - 1687
              Ah, pity, not Beethoven then. Sounds like a French person. Hmmm...

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                Amalie,
                Yeah, I saw that one too, but it was too sad for me. I think that when (1808) the first happened, he wasn't being deaf, just carried away. Some others that I ran across involved his style of rising up at the 'forte' and sinking down below the level of the podium at the 'piano', then suddenly jumping up to urge the orchestra on in a crescendo. Truly an idiosyncratic style and quite a picture! Good old Ludwig, never left you unsatisfied, one way or the other!

Yes, It must have been a wonderful experience to have been in the physical presence of and to watch Beethoven conduct!

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                  Yes, It must have been a wonderful experience to have been in the physical presence of and to watch Beethoven conduct!

If no names were used I would think you were talking about Leonard Bernstein who also loved to jump up and down while conducting.

Comment

If no names were used I would think you were talking about Leonard Bernstein who also loved to jump up and down while conducting.
                    King,
                    I will find the actual paragraph to type in and you will also be amused I think. He actually used to scare the heck out of soem of the musicians who weren't familiar with this habit. Again, this had nothing to do with his deafness, it was just his way. I guess that's why I find it so amusing, I laughed out loud the first time I read it. Having seen Bernstein in action (in 1979 in Concord, California) I have to agree with your assessment. Lenny must have read that too!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ah, pity, not Beethoven then. Sounds like a French person. Hmmm...

A french court composer who first came up with the french opera inspired by writings by I believe mouret together they created quite some works he was also favoured by louis the 14th the king of france at that time.Loeilet as his name is also spelled was SO vain*vanity*/busy with his appearance that he refused to treat his shatterd foot and the infections killed him.* people in those times conducted with a VERY large and heavy staff.Lully apparently swung along with that staff too heavily and it crushed his foot.
                      that's all I know of lully so far..

Regards,
                      ruud

Comment

King,
                        I will find the actual paragraph to type in and you will also be amused I think. He actually used to scare the heck out of soem of the musicians who weren't familiar with this habit. Again, this had nothing to do with his deafness, it was just his way. I guess that's why I find it so amusing, I laughed out loud the first time I read it. Having seen Bernstein in action (in 1979 in Concord, California) I have to agree with your assessment. Lenny must have read that too!

I saw Lenny conduct the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood a few times over the years. Which brings to mind I have tickets for two concerts at Tanglewood this summer. In the July concert a performance of the Brahms violin concert w/ Joshua Bell along with the LvB Sym. #7. The concert in August will be a performance of the LvB 9th. OOTW........

Comment

I saw Lenny conduct the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood a few times over the years. Which brings to mind I have tickets for two concerts at Tanglewood this summer. In the July concert a performance of the Brahms violin concert w/ Joshua Bell along with the LvB Sym. #7. The concert in August will be a performance of the LvB 9th. OOTW........
                          King,
                          2 tickets, eh? ANd only one loyal subject. Hey! The math works out! FYI, I've seen BEll in concert too, in Atlanta doing St Saens #3, he is a pip! You will really enjoy him in the Brahms, that sort of piece is perfect for his style. But the 9th...

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

How about Berlioz conducting some 200 musicians in the Symphonie Funebre et Triomphale with a sword marching through the streets of Paris to the place de la Bastille - despite the amazing spectacle (all were dressed in the uniform of the National Guard), the music was lost due to the difficulties of coordination and a cacophony of side drums drowning out the rousing Apotheosis finale.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter,
                              Gotta admit, that's a picture that's hard to top. Something about the French way of doing things... Fortunate that Lully's staff was no longer in vogue, no telling the havoc he could have dispensed with that!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment