No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by Pastorali I dug out a CD of Trio Fontenay playing Beethoven's folksong settings.These are sung by Wolfgang Holzmair.
    In another thread we are talking about Beethoven's greatest moments of music genius but what about those humble but perfect smaller moments where his writing for voice and trio illustrates such a diversity of scenes like the magic woods in "The Elfin Faries"WoO 154 no.1 and the din of a tavern
    full of merrymakers in "The Deserter" WoO 152 no.10 or the panic in the voice of a jilted girl in "The Sweetest Lad Was Jamie"
    Opus 108 no.5.
    Muriel
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

All that singin'! Great!
      For me though, it is Bohemian Rhapsody of a sort.
      Symphony in c minor (yet another!!) - #1 - WoO - Antonin Dvorak. This is also not quite that "other" symphony in c minor, but also a nice one, just like the Brahms is.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Muriel, please stop talking like this, or I'm getting crazy and will storm every available CM store next Saturday! I'm moved deeply of these Songs and can't get enough of it.
        Highlander Lament, WoO 157/9... I think I go anyway

Dear Gurnster, now you are framed of 'singers'! Great, he?
        Muriel: Concerning the 'Scottish Songs'. Could you recommend any singers, 'groups', or recordings? thanks!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 06-03-2004).]

Comment

My favorite Highland Harry is one posted my my dear friend and colleague Rod about a year or so ago,if memory serves, I believe he said that it had come from the DG Complete Works of Beethoven Vol 17.If you could find me the music for the folksongs I would be happy to sing all the ones in English for you myself.
          Muriel
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            My favorite Highland Harry is one posted my my dear friend and colleague Rod about a year or so ago,if memory serves, I believe he said that it had come from the DG Complete Works of Beethoven Vol 17.If you could find me the music for the folksongs I would be happy to sing all the ones in English for you myself.
            Muriel
            Hey, hey, hey.. What's all this then? Boy, I go elsewhere for just a little while ...

And now, finally THE c minor symphony in a day of them - #5 - Op 67 - LvB. VPO/Kleiber. The best!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              Muriel
              Wow! In this case, I try everything and leave no stone unturned!!! Thanks for the tip.

Now, to lure Gurn back in the circle. (Une harmonie de bon ton - Cé-dur!)
              Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Symphony #40, K550

Comment

Well, yes then consider me lured. Love the g minor. For me now though, it is the Pastoral(i) Symphony in F - #6 - Op 68 - VPO/Bohm. Splendid.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Spent lots of money in London Bridge MVC again this evening after long hot day at work Right now J S Bach Violin Concerto in A minor Have also purchased the French Suites by Glenn Gould I haven't heard them yet but my reading of a review of a recent biography of the Toronto Maestro suggests a new discussion thread here?

------------------
                  Love from London
                  Love from London

Comment

Well, its very literally Bach (double Violin Concerto, Stern and Perlman), Beethoven (5&7, Kleiber who else)and the Beatles (Revolver). Great way of unwinding after a long day at work followed by yet more hours of leafleting in relation to our upcoming mayoral, GLA and European elections here in London. Anyone else got any good suggestions for a footweary political hack (and cries of "resign" are taken for granted!)? Also has anyone seen the fabulous little children's book about some of the major composers called something like " Why Beethoven Hurled the Stew" (on second thoughts perhaps we don't want to know that....)by Steven Isserlis the wonderful cellist? Its great fun.

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 06-03-2004).]
                    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

JA,
                      I have exactly those performances - all 3! - and listened to the Kleiber yesterday. There is some kind of wavelength thing going on here, scary As for Isserlis, haven't read his book (sounds a treat) but do have some of his CD's, and yes, he is quite excellent.
                      For me now though, it is the rare and unusual Quartet in A for Strings, #1 - Op 2 - Antonin Dvorak. Soooo Romantic!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Topic continued in new thread - 5 pages so soon yet again!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                        X