No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next dose. Brahms Symphony #2 in D major. Those warm and smooth tones Brahms could write for an orchestra, like no one else! I'm addictet to it.

Comment

Well, for me this morning I start out with Cello also, The Sonata in Bb for Cello & Piano - #1 0 Op 45 - Mendelssohn - Marvellous piece, not Jackie DuPre but Steven Isserlis, who is pretty good too!

PS - Chaszz, yeah, slicker than scum off a Louisiana swamp, as we say down South

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Joy,
        I just returned from lunch, where I listened to that exact same version of the "Ritterballet"! You are right too, how often has anyone heard WoO 1 on the radio? For me, never!

It's a small world, Gurn, and getting smaller every day! For me today it's Beethoven's Symphony #7 with the Philharmonia Orchestra and Christian Thielemann, conductor. That'll get you moving!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

That's wonderful Joy,
          It is a fantastic CD, though
          I am afraid I don't have volume 1 either, now you have made me curious we shall have to do a little search.
          Don't you just love the all of the Leonore pieces in particular?

The CD I have is on the Philips label, 1975.

I was planning to have a quiet read this afternoon, but couldn't concentrate.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-20-2004).]
          Right you are, Amalie! I really do enjoy all the Leonore pieces. If you happen too find
          Volumn 1 let me know and I shall do the same!
          Thanks!

------------------

Comment

Just purchased a fairly new release of the LvB Mass in C Major op.86 coupled with Elegischer op.118 and Meeresstille und Gluckliche Fahart op.112 and right now enjoying it to the fullist.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
              Just purchased a fairly new release of the LvB Mass in C Major op.86 coupled with Elegischer op.118 and Meeresstille und Gluckliche Fahart op.112 and right now enjoying it to the fullist.
              Steve, that sounds splendid, a great mix! I begin now my nightly relaxing session, listening to Four Hand Piano Music, Brahms Serenade #2

Comment

Well, I am going back with Beethoven as far as one can go. Biamonti # 001 ! 9 Variations in c minor for Piano on a March by Dressler - WoO 63 - Mikhail Pletnev. Is it not oddly prophetic that his first work should be in c minor? Yes, I think so.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Micheal Haydn's "Concert in C major for Trumpet, Orchestra and Basso continuo".

Comment

Maybe some of you will agree, the young Ludwig was a hothead. He never did things by halve. Op.1 - three Trios, Op.2 - three Piano Sonatas. And also Op.18, his first String Quartets with an opus - again six works! I guess B. did like to top all the others up from the begin. And finally, he did it! I have opus 18 on my program today. How splendid!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                      Maybe some of you will agree, the young Ludwig was a hothead. He never did things by halve. Op.1 - three Trios, Op.2 - three Piano Sonatas. And also Op.18, his first String Quartets with an opus - again six works! I guess B. did like to top all the others up from the begin. And finally, he did it! I have opus 18 on my program today. How splendid!
                      It was the norm for quartets to be published in groups of 6, only with Op.18 though did Beethoven conform.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning for me again is Variations for Piano, this time in C major on "My Country 'tis of Thee" WoO 78 by Beethoven - Pletnev yet again.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

All this talk about Haydn gave me a taste so I'll listen to his Symphony #45 "Farewell"
                          by the London Chamber Orchestra with Christopher Warren-Green, conductor and
                          Michael Thompson, horn.
                          Then later back to Beethoven and the Egmont Overture.

------------------

Comment

Beethoven's 7th was broadcast this morning on the radio--Dohynani (Sorry about the spelling) with the Cleveland Orchestra. Very crisp and stirring!

Comment

Remembering, yet again, how much I love Benjamin Britten. The Cello Symphony with Rostropovitch under the composer's baton with the Moscow Philharmonic. A live recording in Moscow late 1964. On EMI. Totally gripping on a late and not fully sober evening here in London

------------------
                              Love from London
                              Love from London

Comment

An evening listening to Beethoven songs:

Wo0 118, Seufzer eines Ungeliebten, Gegenleibe. (Sighs of an unloved one).
                                The melody for this strikingly beautiful song was later used in the Choral Fantasia, Op.80

Opus 52, Eight delightful Songs:

1. Urians Reise um die Welt
                                2. Feuerfarb
                                3. Das Liedschen von der Ruhe
                                4. Maigesang
                                5. Mollys Abscheid
                                6. Die Liebe
                                7. Marmotte
                                8. Das Blumchen

Wo0 25, Rondino, in Eb, intended at one time as the 4th movement of Opus 103.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
                                X