What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pastorali:
    Juan Cristosomo De Arriaga: Symphony for big Orchestra. Man, his allegros are of a sort of firey! Just great!
    And if Madame Du Pré is mentioned, the number 69 is rambling arround in my head...
    Fiery allegros, super!! I am not sure of your association with that number, unless you are thinking perhaps of the outstanding Op 69 Cello Sonata #3 of the Master!?!

And for me, I take up where I left off yesterday with Dvorak, this time the Piano Quartet in Eb - #2 - Op 78 - once again the Ames Quartet, once again superb!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      v. I really must listen to that piece one day, Elgar is one of the few modern composers that I admire

For now though, it is the Sonata in a minor - #8 - K 300d - Wolfgang Amade Mozart.
      Christoph Eschenbach playing. What a Mozartean he is, too!

more Mozart, ...huh Gurn?

Well, you really should check out these gorgeous orchestral varations. The 'Nimrod' varations are my favorite and are the climax to the piece and many ways.

...check it out sir.

------------------
      v russo
      v russo

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
        more Mozart, ...huh Gurn?

Well, you really should check out these gorgeous orchestral varations. The 'Nimrod' varations are my favorite and are the climax to the piece and many ways.

...check it out sir.
        v.
        I was trying to nettle you a bit by calling Elgar a "modern composer", but you weren't having any! But right now, I am listening to Dvorak, who was alive when Elgar was born and going to school, so perhaps a bit contemporaneous. And I will get a version of the Enigmas, I am intrigued.
        Trio in Bb for Piano & Strings - #1 - Op 21 - Beaux Arts Trio

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

It's my afternoon off and I am listening to
          Beethoven's Overtures:
          ( A great CD)

1. Coriolan, op.62
          2. Egmont, op.84
          3. King Stephen, op.117
          4. The Creatures of Prometheus, op.43
          5. Leonore no.1
          6. Leonore no.2
          7. Leonore no.3
          8. Consecration of the House, op.124

Played by, The Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
          Conducted by Kurt Masur.

Simply Superb!

This evening I am looking forward to listening to BBC Radio 3, 19.30.
          Called: Performance on 3. With the Quatuor Mosaiques perform quartets from the classical repertoire including:

SCHUBERT - Death and the Maiden.
          HAYDN - String Quartet in G, op.33
          MOZART - String Quartet in D minor, K421
          SCHUBERT - in D minor, D810

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

It's my afternoon off and I am listening to
            Beethoven's Overtures:
            ( A great CD)

1. Coriolan, op.62
            2. Egmont, op.84
            3. King Stephen, op.117
            4. The Creatures of Prometheus, op.43
            5. Leonore no.1
            6. Leonore no.2
            7. Leonore no.3
            8. Consecration of the House, op.124

Played by, The Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
            Conducted by Kurt Masur.

Amalie, I have this CD! It is a great one. I listen to it often. On my CD it says Volumn 2. I never got around to getting Volumn 1. Do you have it? And if you do, what pieces are on Volumn 1! Thanks!

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Amalie, I have this CD! It is a great one. I listen to it often. On my CD it says Volumn 2. I never got around to getting Volumn 1. Do you have it? And if you do, what pieces are on Volumn 1! Thanks!

That's wonderful Joy,
              It is a fantastic CD, though
              I am afraid I don't have volume 1 either, now you have made me curious we shall have to do a little search.
              Don't you just love the all of the Leonore pieces in particular?

The CD I have is on the Philips label, 1975.

I was planning to have a quiet read this afternoon, but couldn't concentrate.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 05-20-2004).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I'm sure I have the same CD, as it has the overtures in the order described by Amalie and it's by Kurt Masur and the Leipzig Gewand. It's one of a Philips double CD set, and the second disc contains three more overtures - "Fidelio", "Nameday" and the "Ruins of Athens" all conducted by Masur.
                The bulk of the second disc, however, is filled with minuets, German Dances and Contredanses, - WoO7, WoO 8 and WoO 14 and all these are played by the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, cond. Neville Marriner.
                Michael

Comment

The Sonata in f minor for Violin & Piano - Op 4 - Felix Mendelssohn - If only the Romantic had held on to this early promise!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have recovered from the live 'Ring' and can listen again. Today I am sculpting and painting and on comes the Beethoven Violin Concerto played by Anne Sophie-Mutter with Kurt Masur. How this old warhorse which I have heard a hundred times can still move me when played by such superlative musicians. Followed by the overture to Tristan und Isolde by George Szell and the Cleveland Ochestra.....achh, ecstasy...

Now, later, the Symphony #86 by Haydn in what seems to me a wonderfully spirited version by Leonard Bernstein leading the N.Y. Philharmonic. The more familiar I get with Haydn (I admit I am not overly familiar with him) the more influence I see of him on Beethoven. And the more sense makes the view that B is more or less purely a classical composer...

But why has Bernstein not a better reputation as a conducter of Haydn and Beethoven? To my ears he makes them soar wonderfully.

Now a great concerto by somebody named Heinichen. Who is this? Is there no end of composers? did he make beer too? Concerto in F Major, Siebel 235 whatever that means, sort of a concerto grosso, sounds transitional Baroque/Classical. This guy has nothing to be ashamed of...Gurn, do you know him? I think you would like him.

(Believe it or not, I do get a lot of artwork done in between these little notes...Working on four pieces today...)

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 05-20-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 05-20-2004).]
                    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

For me Cosi Fan Tutte A live and thrilling recording on DGG probably from the 1960's Karl Bohm and the Wiener Philharmoniker

------------------
                      Love from London
                      Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                        For me Cosi Fan Tutte A live and thrilling recording on DGG probably from the 1960's Karl Bohm and the Wiener Philharmoniker

Mm, My favourite opera Tony! I need to replace my copy which appears to have disappeared when I was burgled last winter - any one got any recommendations for a recording? For now however its the Mozart Horn concertos with Eric Ruske. Not as good as the mono recording I have of Dennis Brain, despite the vastly superior sound, but great fun not least because it has the Flanders and Swann ( forgive me anyone who does not know these paragons of english eccentricity)song based on the 4th tacked on the end!
                        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                          ... Now, later, the Symphony #86 by Haydn in what seems to me a wonderfully spirited version by Leonard Bernstein leading the N.Y. Philharmonic. The more familiar I get with Haydn (I admit I am not overly familiar with him) the more influence I see of him on Beethoven. And the more sense makes the view that B is more or less purely a classical composer... But why has Bernstein not a better reputation as a conducter of Haydn and Beethoven? To my ears he makes them soar wonderfully.
                          Heinichen. Who is this? Is there no end of composers? did he make beer too? Concerto in F Major, Siebel 235 whatever that means, sort of a concerto grosso, sounds transitional Baroque/Classical. This guy has nothing to be ashamed of...Gurn, do you know him? I think you would like him.
                          Chaszz, I was already going to answer the first part of your post when I ran across the second part!! First, Bernstein and Haydn. I have a DG disc of the Vienna PO / Bernstein which is unfortunately out of print, but which I got in a used bin for a dollar, and later read in a collector's guide that it is considered to be the best Haydn Symphony disc by anyone anywhere to that point in time. It is #88 & 92, both in G major, and is absolutely excellent. I have a couple other versions of these works that are nowhere near as good. So he did have some little reputation as a Haydn guy, although with the VPO.
                          Heinichen - I admit that i have only heard or read the name, never for sure heard the music. I will certainly find out though, since if he is from that period I really need to be familiar with. Thanks for the tip and I'll let you know what I find.

Right now is the Prelude in f minor for Piano - WoO 55 - LvB - too short to contain its beauty!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 05-21-2004).]
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Chaszz, found this. It was the BOOK that I had read about, in another book on theory. It looks as though Naxos may have something of his recorded, so I will see what I can get from them.

Johann David Heinichen 1683-1729

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Student at the St. Thomas School under Bach's predecessor, Kuhnau, and later teacher of Graupner, Heinichen continued in Leipzig to study law at the university there. In 1710 he visited Italy, where, in 1711, he produced an important book on the thoroughbass that was later revised as Der Generalbass in der Composition (1728). After six years in Italy, Heinichen worked briefly for Prince Leopold of Anhalt-Cöthen (1717, the same year that Bach began his appointment in the same court). Heinichen soon became Kapellmeister to the Elector of Saxony and King of Poland in Dresden. Although he composed more than 150 sacred choral works, Heinichen is remembered today mainly for his contributions to music theory.

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              Chaszz, found this. It was the BOOK that I had read about, in another book on theory. It looks as though Naxos may have something of his recorded, so I will see what I can get from them.

Johann David Heinichen 1683-1729
                              In order to defend myself from having placed him in the next generation, I would suggest he was moving toward the transitional style the way Telemann and Handel, who each sound a little more 'modern' than Bach, were at the same time. Whew, wriggled out of that one... All the works I heard today were on the classical channel of my cable TV service; whoever programs it deserves a kudo, whatever that is. There was also later on a very long piano trio by Rachmaninoff, No. 2, of the 'Elegaic' series, quite excellent, seemed to have about 85 or 90 movements in it, but no let-down anywhere.
                              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I feel like after a cure for CM addiction! Almost 24 hours without are just too much for me
                                But now I'm feeling already better. Warm up with Tchaikowsky and now it's that number 69, which of course is the wonderful Cello Sonata #3, playing Jaqueline Du Pré. Ah, back in life

Comment

Working...
                                X