No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SCHUBERT - Impromtus, beautifuly played by Artur Schnabel. 1950. I think Schnabel's playing seems to bring out aspects of Schubert's music ( or reaches parts) that other pianists don't.

STRAUSS - Don Juan, a brilliant atmospheric 1926 recording, by the London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Albert Coates. They don't do it like that anymore!
    I have often thought, why is it that no matter how brilliant modern orchestra's are, they cannot convey that sense of life and atmosphere and urgency that the older recordings seem to have in abundance?

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

R.I.P. Joseph Haydn: Missa in tempori belli, Hob.XXII:9 'Drum Mass' (Paukenmesse in C-dur) Berliner Philharmoniker/James Levin.

Comment

Perhaps Haydn will have liked to sit and listen to some Beethoven with me? This morning, it is thte Sonata in c minor for Violin & Piano - #7 - Op 30#2 - Kremer & Argerich - Excellent!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

"I'M SINGING IN THE RAIN!" as bad the weather is today, as glad I am about this disk: Beethoven - Folksongs • Decular Vocal Works. A choice of Scottish, Italian, Irish, German, Various nationalities Songs and Canons. Right now: 'Bonny Laddie, Highland Laddie' (is that me?)

I'm just glad, I didn't bet, there are no english sung Songs on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
            "I'M SINGING IN THE RAIN!" as bad the weather is today, as glad I am about this disk: Beethoven - Folksongs • Decular Vocal Works. A choice of Scottish, Italian, Irish, German, Various nationalities Songs and Canons. Right now: 'Bonny Laddie, Highland Laddie' (is that me?)

Well, Laddie, looks like your order has come in, and the old Gurnster was right! Great, I am wondering how you like those?
            For me, young Master Mozart's very first String Quintet, in Bb K 174. Very nice indeed.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

"I'M SINGING IN THE RAIN!" A choice of Scottish, Italian, Irish, German, Various nationalities Songs and Canons.

Pastorali,
              Who is singing on these CDs?
              Muriel

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

On this CD is singing:
                Amy Lawrence, Sopran
                Marco Beasley, Tenor
                Dorothée Labusch, Mezzosopran

I'm just a bit on these Canons, which are very short and funny.

GRAF, LIEBSTER GRAF
                (musical joke WoO 101, 1802)
                Graf, liebster Graf, liebstes Schaf! (Count, dearest Count, dearest sheep.
                Bester Graf, bestes Schaf! (Best Count, best sheep)

ESEL ALLER ESEL
                (dreistimmiger Canon, Hess 277, 1826)
                Esel aller Esel, hi ha. (Donkey of all donkeys, hi ha)
                etc...

The Scottish and Irish Songs are very beautiful. Such wonderful melodies, accompanied of violin, cello and piano, a very likeable combination!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 06-01-2004).]

Comment

For you dear English people, I set an example! It was already before breakfast, I did listen to:
                  'God Save The King' WoO 157/1. It's my cup of tea...

Comment

As always, late in London after a long day on what Howling Wolf (a great blues man) called "The Killing Floor". Cooled down now and listening to Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 2 played by the composer with Leopold Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra Recorded in 1929 and lovingly restored by the NAXOS technicians

------------------
                    Love from London
                    Love from London

Comment

Sunset, WoO 108/2 (1818) I love it!

Comment

Currently working my way through Beethoven's complete string trios. Perfectly charming and a nice light alternative to the quartets.

Comment

Trio in d minor for Piano & Strings - #2 - Op 9 - Sergei Rachmaninov (primarily a composer of the 20th century! I feel so modern... )

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

On my morning walk, I listened to Faure sonatas for violin and piano--Shlomo Mintz and Yefim Bronfman. Beautifully played, very sensitive. Lots of nuance. I like the more familiar A maj op. 13, but when I got the e minor op. 108, I was enchanted. This has those strange twists and turns in harmonies that I associate with some of the great Faure songs.

Gurn, how is that Rachmaninoff? Worth searching out?

Comment

Music, Love and Wine, WoO 108/1, I feel so timeless

Comment

Music, Love and Wine, WoO 108/1, I feel so timeless
                                And so poetic, too
                                For me now, is the Symphony in c minor - #1 - Op 68 - Johannes Brahms. Not quite that other symphony in c minor, but quite good anyway!

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment