Beethoven anecdote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven anecdote

I came upon an anecdote that I think you all will enjoy. I got it from "The Book of Musical Anecdotes," a very entertaining collection by Norman Lebrecht.
    "When [Griesinger] was still only an attache, and Beethoven was little known except as a celebrated pianoforte player, both being still young, they happened to meet at the house of Prince Lobkowitz. In conversation with a gentleman present, Beethoven said in substance, that he wished to be relieved from all bargain and sale of his works, and would gladly find someone willing to pay him a certain income for life, for which he should possess the exclusive right of publishing all he wrote; adding, 'and I would not be idle in composition. I believe Goethe does this with Cotta, and, if I mistake not, Handel's London publisher held similar terms with him.'
    'My dear young man,' returned the other, 'You must not complain; for you are neither a Goethe nor a Handel, and it is not to be expected that you ever will be; for such masters will not be born again.' Beethoven bit his lips, gave a most contemptuous glance at the speaker, and said no more."

Check the recent BBC2 programme "Eroica" if you can This dialogue was faithfully repeated to enormous effect

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Comment

Working...
    X