From Beethoven to the present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Beethoven to the present

Can one say that Beethoven had an influence on piano design and teaching that has lasted to present day. There seems to be an interesting family tree when we consider that Beethoven taught Czerny, who taught Leschetizsky, who taught the 20th century pre-eminent Beethovenian Artur Schnabel, who I think taught Edwin Fischer, who then taught Alfred Brendel.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

From who taught to who was taught, I know of Guiomar Novaes, a great Brazilian pianist who died in the mid-sixties, her recording of the 4th concerto with Klemperer and the VPO is one of the best I've heard, in spite of the awful sound (it's from '37).
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Can one say that Beethoven had an influence on piano design and teaching that has lasted to present day. There seems to be an interesting family tree when we consider that Beethoven taught Czerny, who taught Leschetizsky, who taught the 20th century pre-eminent Beethovenian Artur Schnabel, who I think taught Edwin Fischer, who then taught Alfred Brendel.

On the design issue I think the instrument would have evolved anyway and doubt that all the patents taken out during and after Beethoven's time were in response to his music. Regarding teaching, again this is difficult as Beethoven had so few pupils unlike Liszt who directly influenced a whole generation. You only have to look at the programming of 19th century recitals to see that virtuosity was the order of the day and not really until Schnabel were the the classical sonatas as popular as they are today. Clara Schumann was an exception in this regard, and fortunately I can trace my teaching heritage back to her!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 05-31-2004).]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X