• Show
Clear All

Amateur inspiration!

http://www.freep.com/entertainment/m...7_20040527.htm

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Thanks for that link, Peter.

That reminds me of my university days, getting up early to get an hour or so in one of the music school's practice rooms before the painful engineering classes began. Unfortunately, they had combination locks on the doors to prevent anyone but music majors for using them, but luckily I was able to, ahem, aquire the code. Not that I ever saw a music student in there at 6:00 AM.

Comment

Interesting article!

I think the amateur contest is a good idea. The definition of amateur is a little confusing. Most competitors in the Van Cliburn competition are not "professional musicians." They are probably working as waiters and waitresses, hoping to pay off their college loans. I think the real difference here is that the amatuer competition is for old folks like me.

I had bittersweet emotions when I reached that cut-off point for most competitions--29-30 years old. In a way, I was glad. I felt like I could leave that dream behind and get on with my life.

Interesting that you posted that article, Peter, because I live in Michigan and have connections with some of the people and institutions in that article.

I was like you, Chris, I did my practicing early in the morning. Very early. My wife was a baker while I was in grad. school. I would drop her off at 11pm and go practice at school until 4am, then pick her up at work (I had a key to the music wing). That was when I discovered coffee.

Comment

If events like this are popular, towns should start having monthly or even weekly concerts where anyone can play. That would really make life more interesting.
        Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
        That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
        And then is heard no more. It is a tale
        Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
        Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Sort of an "open mike" for classical...

Comment

Working...
          X