Beethoven's Letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Letters

I recently purchased a book on Beethoven's letters which has been keeping me spellbound. I feel, while reading the letters, that I have been transported back into Beethoven's time. Wonderful, wonderful reading. There is one letter that really is a revelation to me that I want to share with those of you who have not read it.

It was posted from Teplitz 17 July 1812

My Dear Emilie, My Dear Friend!
    I am sending a late answer to your letter; a mass of business, constant illness must be my excuse. That I am here for the restoration of my health proves the truth of my excuse.
    Do not snatch the laurel wreaths from Handel, Haydn or Mozart; they are entitled to them; as yet I am not.
    Your pocket-book shall be preserved among other tokens of esteem of many people, which I do not deserve.
    Continue, do not only practice art, but get at the very heart of it; this it deserves, for only art and science raise man to the God-head. If my dear Emilie, you at any time wish to know something, write without hesitation to me. The true artist is not proud, he unfortunately sees that art has no limits; he feels darkly how far he is from the goal; and though he may be admired, he is sad not to have reached that point to which his better genius only appears as a distant, guiding sun.
    I would, perhaps, rather come to you and your people, than to many rich folk who display inward poverty. If one day I should come to H.,I will come to you, to your house; I know no other excellences in man than those which causes him to rank among better men; where I find this, there is my home.
    If you wish,dear Emilie, to write to me, only address straight here where I shall be for the next four weeks, or to Vienna; it is all one. Look upon me as your friend, and as a fiend of your family.
    Ludwig V. Beethoven

You would think that this is the end to the letter, not so. I was searching my mind trying to think who Emilie was. I had never read any references of her before. Then I turned the page and got my answer, and here it is.
    [Thayer relates that Emilie M.,at H., was a little girl of eight or ten years old, who raved about Beethoven. This dear child wrote under the guidance of her governess to the composer, and added to the letter a piece of handiwork, a pocket-book, which she begged the master to accept. And thereupon followed the letter, a veritable cabinet-piece of artistic wisdom, in childlike language.]

And that my friends is a story of Beethoven and Emilie. I find no further reference in any of the other letters in the book to Emilie.

Thankyou Stephen for sharing this very poignant letter with us.
    The artistic sermon he preaches to Emilie in so kindly a manner carries conviction as he tells her not only to practice the piano but to devote herself to fathoming the inner meaning of her art, "for only art and science can raise men to the level of gods".

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
    X