How, exactly, do you react to music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How, exactly, do you react to music?

I mean, when you hear something so good it gives you spiritual convultions....

If the music is intense: I will usually sing along the melody, and violently fake conduct the music, moving my arm everywhere in jerky motions. Or I will gyrate my entire body to the pounding rythm (mostly Beethoven, but some Mozart too).

If the music is very emotional, I will sometimes be reduced to tears of joy. I also get cold shivers down my entire body.

Or I will go play the masterpiece of one of my favorite instruments!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

If the music is intense: I will usually sing along the melody, and violently fake conduct the music, moving my arm everywhere in jerky motions. Or I will gyrate my entire body to the pounding rythm (mostly Beethoven, but some Mozart too).

If the music is very emotional, I will sometimes be reduced to tears of joy. I also get cold shivers down my entire body.

All of the above apply. Anyone who loves classical music is by nature a "conductor", that is one way of expressing our feelings.
    Again, anyone who loves classical music can and will be moved to tears of joy or sadness. There is something innate about classical music, for as many times over the years that I listen to a Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, Haydn etc. work I am moved by it's "Newness", in other words it's always fresh and vibrant. I do not have these feelings for other types of music.

Comment

Sometimes I have to go to the piano after hearing something particularly moving and play until I am so exhausted I have no further reactions.

Comment

I definitely experience that as well! And I get goosebumps when the music is performed really well, plus you get so excited like nothing else can excite you! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

I appreciate all of above, but I do find it a bit distracting when I am at a concert and the person next me is doing all of it.

I once went to a concert and I noticed that the person next to me appeared to be extremely bored and restless. He would yawn and fidget and showed no interest. Finally I turned and looked at him and, to my shock, I realized he was a very well known conductor.

It is interesting what you say, BW, about moving and conducting and...I guess pulsating with the music, because we recently had a thread about how incomprehensible it is that people can't sit motionless in an uncomfortable seat in an airless theater for an hour and a half for the sake of art music. When I first got into classical music, I did exactly what you describe when I listened to recordings. It took me longer to enjoy music in concert.

I have often felt that the reason many of us perform is so we have a physical connection with the music. We make gestures along with the music instead of just listening passively.

Passive listening can be fun also. I have experienced all of those goosebumps that other describe. I have also had the experience in which every little sound elevates me slightly. Like sipping an precious, intoxicating beverage.

Good listening for some people takes time and perserverance and discipline. I can see people sitting down for five minutes with a Beethoven symphony and saying, "I don't get it."

Comment

I think my own reactions to music have mellowed/evolved over the years. I remember the first time I heard the development section of the first movement of the 9th symphony and I was not physically able to stand up! But then again I was bored by a lot of other stuff. Nowadays, I don't think I experience such intense or polarised reactions - I very rarely find myself completely physically overwhelmed by music, but by the same token I am almost never bored by any (classical) music either.
            Does that make any sense?

Comment

I dont think its age that subdues your physical reactions. My 65 year old father reacts just as I do to music, sometimes to my embarrassment!

I dont need to do this at concerts. Its easily controlled, but when alone I am unrestrained. Seeing music live satiates the part of me that wants to jump around.
              Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
              That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
              And then is heard no more. It is a tale
              Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
              Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Working...
              X