Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Violin Romance Op.40/1

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

Just my impressions about the widely held idea that the two Romances originating as slow movements to the earlier violin concerto. Considering these romances are in Rondo form, not a form we typically associate with Beethoven slow movements (more commonly for finales) I suggest that the original material would likely been in a much different form and that perhaps only some of the thematic material may have been 'borrowed'.

Alternatively could not these Rondos have been finales that B slowed down?!

One feature I've noticed that does connect the op40 with the very early music is that a section of it is very reminicent of a section found in the finale of B's juvenile piano concerto in E flat, WoO 4.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-11-2004).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Alternatively could not these Rondos have been finales that B slowed down?!
      Eh, they would sound pretty ridiculous speeded up, I think. I just checked out the recording you have kindly supplied, and even that was too fast in my opinion.

Comment

Very pretty. Nice recording Rod, well played. Interesting that Beethoven left no tempo marking. Also no dedications were made for this piece nor the No. 2.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          Eh, they would sound pretty ridiculous speeded up, I think. I just checked out the recording you have kindly supplied, and even that was too fast in my opinion.
          I did not mean the music as is stands simply speeded up, ye gods man!!

But perhaps this piece is already fast enough for a finale. You may know of B's Rondo for Wind Octet that is suspected to be the original finale for his more famous piece in this genre, well that Rondo is not quick at all.

Either way I can't see these rondos as they stand as slow concerto movements.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-12-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Very pretty. Nice recording Rod, well played. Interesting that Beethoven left no tempo marking. Also no dedications were made for this piece nor the No. 2.

According to my notes there is a tempo for the other romance, it is an adagio cantabile.

PS a note for Peter, I can still see a reference to the previous Largo at the top of the page!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-13-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I did not mean the music as is stands simply speeded up, ye gods man!!

But perhaps this piece is already fast enough for a finale. You may know of B's Rondo for Wind Octet that is suspected to be the original finale for his more famous piece in this genre, well that Rondo is not quick at all.

Either way I can't see these rondos as they stand as slow concerto movements.

Both Romances are in the wrong key to have been a finale to the early C major concerto, unless Beethoven transposed them of course, rather unlikely. I can't see that Beethoven would have ended a concerto with such slow finales, after all the finale is supposed to be a showcase for the soloist.

The Largo reference has been removed!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Both Romances are in the wrong key to have been a finale to the early C major concerto, unless Beethoven transposed them of course, rather unlikely. I can't see that Beethoven would have ended a concerto with such slow finales, after all the finale is supposed to be a showcase for the soloist.

The Largo reference has been removed!

My idea of a slow rondo finale was not strictly serious, you remember my original idea was that the rondo would have had to be speeded up! And I have repeated a number of times that the music as it existed then, if it ever did, would not have been in the form presented in op40 or 50.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-15-2004).]

Comment

Ideas in an artist's heart and mind are not strictly compartmentalized. A general thematic and melodic feeling can express itself in several ways. I think it is not a mistake to relate the overall experience here to Beethoven's adagios of this general time in his life, forms and keys notwithstanding.

In any case, to me it seems a beautiful version of this piece.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 05-15-2004).]
                  See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
                  X