No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some Satie miniatures. The Nocturnes, and smaller piano pieces..etc...etc...

------------------
    v russo
    v russo

Comment

A historical recording of Rachmaninoff himself playing his own OP.3 including the famous prelude in C# minor.

It's great to listen to a composer interpreting his own music!

The recording dates from 1919-1929.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
        A historical recording of Rachmaninoff himself playing his own OP.3 including the famous prelude in C# minor.

It's great to listen to a composer interpreting his own music!

The recording dates from 1919-1929.
        My piano teacher was privileged to hear Rachmaninov live during his London tour in the 30's - an unforgettable experience even for a young child as she was then!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mozart Piano Concerto #22, K.482. Toll!
          I must take a look to the store for some further concerts K. 488+491+537

Comment

Mendelssohn's Overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream in honour of the Bard's 440th birthday last week. Hard to believe Mendelssohn was only 17 when he composed this, such feeling!

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 04-28-2004).]
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Schubert's String Quintet in C Major D.956 Ensemble Villa Musica on Naxos. Late here in London. The music is stopping me going to sleep which is certainly no bad thing. I have a vinyl version somewhere with Pablo Casals on cello I am not a professional musician but this music is truly special

------------------
              Love from London
              Love from London

Comment

TJ,
                The String Quintet is my favorite Schubert. I would love to hear Casals on the extra cello, that must be splendid. My version has Rostropovich, who is not too bad either
                But right now, some Mozart for sunset, the Symphony in C major - #41 - K 551 - "The one with the fugue in the last movement" as it was called in the 19th century, but which we call "Jupiter". Marvelous stuff.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

My earthy stuff: #18-1 The first, but not the badest...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    My piano teacher was privileged to hear Rachmaninov live during his London tour in the 30's - an unforgettable experience even for a young child as she was then!

Yes, really unforgettable !

This recording is one of my 3 historical recordings which include also:

* Rachmaninoff playing his 4 piano concertoes and his Rhapsody (on a theme of Paganini) with the Philadelphia Orchestra ,Eugene Ormandy conducting .This recording dates from 1929-1941..

*Alfred Cortot playing Ravel Piano concerto for the left hand , and Saint Sain 4th piano concertoes..

Those two are just pieces of "antique" that the sound is not filtered enough so you cann't enjoy the music completely..

Now with Schumann Piano concerto...one of the famous piano concertoes of the romantic era..

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited 04-29-2004).]

Comment

On this late evening, it's time for mystic music here. In this case, it is W. A. Mozart: Requiem KV 341 – I turn it up SPLENDID!

Comment

Sonata in Bb - #29 - Op 106 - LvB - what comment can one possibly append here?

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          TJ,
                          The String Quintet is my favorite Schubert. I would love to hear Casals on the extra cello, that must be splendid. My version has Rostropovich, who is not too bad either
                          But right now, some Mozart for sunset, the Symphony in C major - #41 - K 551 - "The one with the fugue in the last movement" as it was called in the 19th century, but which we call "Jupiter". Marvelous stuff.

My vinyl recording with Pablo Casals is extraordinary not only becuse Maestro Casals is on cello, but also because it was obviously recorded live somewhere in Europe in (possibly) the 1940's - not sure, there are no sleeve notes that I recall but I must check again - and the audience at the end of the piece, which fairly explodes with intelligence, passion and vituosity, do not applaud but simply stand up and leave the concert hall. Clearly not though disrespect but simply because, wherever and whenever it was recorded, applause might not have been a relevant way of expressing appreciation.

------------------
                          Love from London
                          Love from London

Comment

U-turn to Schubert's song: Einsamkeit D 620

Comment

Variations in C for Piano on a Waltz by Diabelli - Op 120 - LvB - Daniel Barenboim playing.

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                                Variations in C for Piano on a Waltz by Diabelli - Op 120 - LvB - Daniel Barenboim playing.

How well does Barenboim do with the variations?

Had a touch of Gershwin (Cuban Overture) and a Lecuna (?) piece this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X