Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Pastorali,
    I didn't know that was your only B symphonies, but I definitely knew you were cool How you like those Barenboim sonatas? I only have of his B the Diabelli Variations, which are pretty darn good.
    Right now for me, the small Symphony in b minor #8 of Schubert. I don't call it "Unfinished" because it sounds pretty finished to me, as though he simply said all he wanted to say.

Talking about Beethoven's Diabelli-Variations.
    It's 10.30 pm now and I am relaxing to Alfred Brendel, playing Beethoven's Diabelli Variations. Good ol' Alfie. PDG too, huh?

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-23-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
      Hi there new member joining in what sounds like a fun discussion, but I feel like I belong as I'm a friend of a London contributor who told me about this site - thanks Tony! Any of you listened to the newly released live recording of Beethoven's 6th by Carlos Kleiber and the Bayerische Staatoper on the Orfeo label? Its absolutely stunning. I always thought Kleiber's recordings of the 5th amd 7th were epoch making and definitive but this is something else again. Played at Beethoven's original metronome speeds it feels like a totally new piece and it also interestingly highlights Mozartian/Haydnian ( is that a word?)similarites that I'd not noticed before. it dates from 1983 and the audience reaction at the end tells you just how gob-smacking an experience it was. Wish I'd been there. Anyone know of any other Kleiber Beethoven recordings? I know he's made only a handful of recordings and performs very rarely - but everything I've heard of his has been magical.

Welcome Judith, my friend and colleague from our great city. This is a wonderful web site. An astonishing depth of knowledge about Classical Music, particularly the Maestro, from all over this temporal globe. But promise me never to mention accredited programmes (that's one for me and Ms Gardiner)

I am going to look for the Kleiber 6th recording tomorrow. Don't forget the Toscanini (yes that name again) reading of Leonore Overture No 3 from 1939

More please my eloquent friend!!

------------------
      Love from London
      Love from London

Comment

Pastorali,
        I didn't know that was your only B symphonies, but I definitely knew you were cool How you like those Barenboim sonatas? I only have of his B the Diabelli Variations, which are pretty darn good.
        Right now for me, the small Symphony in b minor #8 of Schubert. I don't call it "Unfinished" because it sounds pretty finished to me, as though he simply said all he wanted to say.

Gurn, I'm still as long I don't loose these Zurich CDs, that's more than a patriotic feeling...
        This EMI Classics CD is the only one I have of Barenboim - but it's excellent! I listen often to it. The most piano things I have is by Jando and Scherbakov, because I'm a 'Naxosist'
        The 8th! Did you know, the Symphony's partiture was a present of Schubert to A. Hüttenbrenner?
        I think about to listen the same,...ok

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 04-23-2004).]

Comment

TJ,
          I love Casals' Suites, hard to beat. May I suggest if you are of that frame of mind, that the Sonatas and Partitas for Violin Solo have all the virtuosity of the Cello Suites, but only half the calories, uh, tonal depth My version is by Henry Szeryng, and is pretty fine, but I bet any version you can get will have you thinking about it!

Many thanks Gurn. JS Bach is a Composer who I first heard many years ago, but who somehow plants himself in my feelings and thoughts month by month ever since. That sounds a bit pretentious but I guess what I am trying to say is that the 'timelessness' of Bach is something that I struggle to express. Thought and emotion merge. The Casals reading of the Bach Cello Suites says it for me. Nowhere else to go but here right now.

------------------
          Love from London
          Love from London

Comment

Right now its the LvB symphony no.5 with the Philharmonia orchestra conducted by Benjamin Zander. Until I heard this cd I had the Kleiber cd at the top of my list. Now after hearing Zanders recording to both the 5th and the 7th I have to say they are my favorites. This cd comes with a second cd that has Zander giving a lecture on why he took the approch that he did. I think he makes a very strong case for his findings.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 04-24-2004).]

Comment

BRAHMS

Variations on a theme of Joseph Haydn, Op.56

Berlin Philharmonic/Claudio Abbado.

HAYDN'S Arrangement of 'All Through the Night', sung in Welsh, by - Angelika Kirchschlager.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-24-2004).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

So much great music, so little time! I must say that we all seem to have shared tastes, the only question seems to be "To B, or not to B"
                And this morning, in the heavy rain which we need so much, I listen to the 6th, VPO - Bohm. Perfectamente!

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Beethoven's Piano sonata no.15 in D Opus 28
                  played splendidly by Claudio Arrau.
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

B is B.
                    Right now Johannes Brahms: Piano Concerto #1 in D minor Op.15, what a dramatic Maestoso!

Comment

Johannes Brahms Piano Concerto #2 in B Major, Op.83 What an impressiv work!

Comment

Johannes Brahms: A German Requiem, Op.45, conducted by Sir Colin Davis - what a Sunday morning!

Comment

Herr van Beethoven: This indescribable Symphony in D. What a Sunday evening!

Comment

Franz Schubert: Quartret #14 in D minor, Op. Posth. D810 "Death and the Maiden" Superb!

Comment

Pastorali, you have way too much time on your hands! If you listen to music all the time, soon they will be calling you "Gurn" and think how this would ruin you! Of course, I listened yesterday also to this famous Symphony in d minor, with the Vienna Symphony / Bernstein, but right now, it is the Cello Concerto in C by Haydn, Yo Yo Ma sawing the melody. Splendid piece. Good week, ya'll!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ah, it was time inddeed! I felt pretty alone here, thanks Gurn! We can't post every piece we're listening to, every day a new W.A.Y.L.T.R.N.!? Haydn? Your choice is really splendid. I love it!

Right now it's Johannes Brahms and his Serenade #1 in D major, Op.90, within the adagio non troppo - I feel fine...

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 04-26-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X