No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm listening to this uniquely, unforgettable Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D! Mutter/Karajan. Bene, ma troppo!!

Comment

Pastorali,
      Yes, that was my first (and longest!) version of THE violin concerto, and I always like it even though I now have others that are probably better. She is very expressive, or was in her youth. For me right now though is the Sonata in Eb for Piano #29 - Hob 16:45 - of Joseph Haydn. Even though the sonatas were not his best work (until very late), that still makes them far better than most of his contemporaries (except Mozart)

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:
        You guys got some good stff! :-)

Me....I'm listen to

Beethoven Bagatelle No.1 Op. 33 in E flat major

Performer is John Lill
        You got some good stff 2!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Today in my Walkman, the Beethoven Overtures by the Hanover band, you'll be hearing some of this stuff on the MP3 page in due course.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Today in my Walkman, the Beethoven Overtures by the Hanover band, you'll be hearing some of this stuff on the MP3 page in due course.

Rod,
            I can hardly wait! I have some H.B./Goodman, of course they are doing Schubert and not Beethoven, but even so I really like their performance.
            For me right now, the Symphony in c minor - #5 - Op 67 - Beethoven - Vienna Philharmonic / Carlos Kleiber - They may not have the right instruments, but believe me, this is ALL they lack!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

She is very expressive, or was in her youth.

Gurn
              I think so too. I was pretty disappointed about the newer record of op.61 she did And I'm not a fan of Masur's conducting,
              Before I stopped: Peter Tchaikovsky, Symphony # 6, op.74 "Pathétique"....ah, not the right thing for now! Well, boring to write down, but again that magnificently ODE. Sitting on the balcony, enjoying the canopy of stars.

Comment

Riveted to my computer seat. J S Bach Cello Suites Pablo Casals. Where from here?

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                  Riveted to my computer seat. J S Bach Cello Suites Pablo Casals. Where from here?

TJ,
                  I love Casals' Suites, hard to beat. May I suggest if you are of that frame of mind, that the Sonatas and Partitas for Violin Solo have all the virtuosity of the Cello Suites, but only half the calories, uh, tonal depth My version is by Henry Szeryng, and is pretty fine, but I bet any version you can get will have you thinking about it!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                    Gurn
                    I think so too. I was pretty disappointed about the newer record of op.61 she did And I'm not a fan of Masur's conducting,
                    Before I stopped: Peter Tchaikovsky, Symphony # 6, op.74 "Pathétique"....ah, not the right thing for now! Well, boring to write down, but again that magnificently ODE. Sitting on the balcony, enjoying the canopy of stars.

Pastorali,
                    Hard to think of such a young person as "old" but there it is Anyway, the Tchaikovsky can be pretty OK, especially that 3rd movement. In the Steppes of Central Asia... For me, is Central Europe though:
                    Quartet in Bb for Strings - #2 - WoO (B 17) - Antonin Dvorak. From so early in his career, and yet you can hear Bohemia in every phrase. Thankfully, he did learn to be concise as he got older, else...

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

hehe thanks.

Listening to right now:

3rd track: Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor ('Moonlight'), Op. 27/2: 1. Adagio sostenuto

CD: Unforgettable Classics Beethoven

Comment

On this late afternoon, some Cellos please...
                        Johannes Brahms: Double Concerto Op.102
                        Antonin Dvorak: Concerto for Violoncello & Orchestra Op.104

Comment

Hi there new member joining in what sounds like a fun discussion, but I feel like I belong as I'm a friend of a London contributor who told me about this site - thanks Tony! Any of you listened to the newly released live recording of Beethoven's 6th by Carlos Kleiber and the Bayerische Staatoper on the Orfeo label? Its absolutely stunning. I always thought Kleiber's recordings of the 5th amd 7th were epoch making and definitive but this is something else again. Played at Beethoven's original metronome speeds it feels like a totally new piece and it also interestingly highlights Mozartian/Haydnian ( is that a word?)similarites that I'd not noticed before. it dates from 1983 and the audience reaction at the end tells you just how gob-smacking an experience it was. Wish I'd been there. Anyone know of any other Kleiber Beethoven recordings? I know he's made only a handful of recordings and performs very rarely - but everything I've heard of his has been magical.

------------------
                          Beethoven the Man!
                          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                            Hi there new member joining in what sounds like a fun discussion, but I feel like I belong as I'm a friend of a London contributor who told me about this site - thanks Tony! Any of you listened to the newly released live recording of Beethoven's 6th by Carlos Kleiber and the Bayerische Staatoper on the Orfeo label? Its absolutely stunning. I always thought Kleiber's recordings of the 5th amd 7th were epoch making and definitive but this is something else again. Played at Beethoven's original metronome speeds it feels like a totally new piece and it also interestingly highlights Mozartian/Haydnian ( is that a word?)similarites that I'd not noticed before. it dates from 1983 and the audience reaction at the end tells you just how gob-smacking an experience it was. Wish I'd been there. Anyone know of any other Kleiber Beethoven recordings? I know he's made only a handful of recordings and performs very rarely - but everything I've heard of his has been magical.

Welcome, any friend of Tony's etc...
                            As you can see above, I was listening to Kleiber's 5th just the other day. In a discussion on another forum this exact topic came up (these were record collectors, not musical types, so they would know! ) and the 6th you mention, which was not out at the time, and a 4th that is still not out AFAIK, are the only recorded Kleiber Beethoven's, more's the pity. If you like this kind of tempo and intensity, I highly recommend the readily available set of symphonies by Zurich Tonhalle Orchestre / David Zinman. Period performance on modern instruments, the best of both worlds. THe 7th and 9th are particularly butt-kicking!
                            For me right now, the Symphony in A major - #7 - Op 92 - VPO / Kleiber - Ha! Small world eh?

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 04-23-2004).]
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn, your judge about the Zinman's makes me as cool as a cucumber cause they are (almost) the only ones I got.
                              Now: Piano Sonatas Pastorale, Waldstein & Les Adieux, (Barenboim) {{espressivo}}

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                                Gurn, your judge about the Zinman's makes me as cool as a cucumber cause they are (almost) the only ones I got.
                                Now: Piano Sonatas Pastorale, Waldstein & Les Adieux, (Barenboim) {{espressivo}}

Pastorali,
                                I didn't know that was your only B symphonies, but I definitely knew you were cool How you like those Barenboim sonatas? I only have of his B the Diabelli Variations, which are pretty darn good.
                                Right now for me, the small Symphony in b minor #8 of Schubert. I don't call it "Unfinished" because it sounds pretty finished to me, as though he simply said all he wanted to say.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment