Piano Concerto No. 6 in D, Hess 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Concerto No. 6 in D, Hess 15

I have some questions about the unfinished Piano Concerto, Hess 15.
    1) Is the autograph existing, or available as copy?
    2) Was it once published, what Publisher?
    3) Are there any 'completitions' existing?
    4) Is it possible to buy recordings of Hess 15?
    5) There is a Performing edition by Prof. Nicholas Cook (Midi Author: Willem and Mark S. Zimmer) The running time is 12:45 minutes. Is this the lenght of the 'completed' piece?

Thanks in advance!

P,
    If you can find the CD Brana 0004 "The Mysteries of Beethoven". Here is the liner notes for it:

Piano Concerto in D major
    In 1888, the German musicologist Guido Adler found the score of a first movement of an unfinished piano concerto. It had been copied out by a Prague musician, Joseph Bezecny with the title “Concerto in D major for Piano and Orchestra by L. van Beethoven” and dated 1830. Adler dated the composition between 1788 and 1793, as did other respected musicologists. The work was published in 1890, as an unfinished early work by Beethoven.

It would all have ended there, but in 1925 Hans Engel claimed that the fragment belonged to a concerto by a Bohemian composer Jan Joseph Rosler (1771 – 1813). The experts were unconvinced. They cited stylistic discrepancies between the fragment and the remaining Rosler movements as evidence that the work could not have been the missing movement of the Rosler concerto.

The case may never be proven scientifically but musically, there is every reason to believe that this movement was from the twenty year old Beethoven who had just discovered the work of Mozart and Haydn, whose influence can clearly be heard.

go to www.branarecords.com and select "catalog", and you will find it there, $14.99 US

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A MIDI file is available at THE UNHEARD BEETHOVEN site:
      http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/sear...ce=hess15h.mid

Alfred
      Cocchini

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
        5) There is a Performing edition by Prof. Nicholas Cook (Midi Author: Willem and Mark S. Zimmer) The running time is 12:45 minutes. Is this the lenght of the 'completed' piece?

Thanks in advance!

Pastorali,
        All I know is that this piece was composed around 1815 *perhaps this info is dated by now??* and that it was an attempt to create a work in the "new" 3rd style..
        as far as the 1st movement was concerned, there is a LARGE sketch remaining in beethovens autograph indicating the struggle he had with this work.
        That's all I know.

Regards,
        Ruud.

P.s to ALL people german or interested in READING german language....I posted a topic on the GERMAN forum for you to respond on ....

Comment

Originally posted by Cocchini:
          A MIDI file is available at THE UNHEARD BEETHOVEN site:
          http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/sear...ce=hess15h.mid

Alfred
          It's also available here on this site! www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/midifiles.html

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali View Post

Autograph score: Preussische Staatsbibliothek in Berlin, MS Artaria 184.
            AFAIK not published as such.
            For further information, including a description of this score, see Lockwood, Lewis, 'Beethoven's unfinished piano concerto of 1815: sources and problems', Musical Quarterly, 56 (1970), 624-46; reprinted in Paul Henry Lang (ed.), The creative world of Beethoven (New York, 1971), 122-44.

Yes, one made in 1987 by Nicholas Cook and Kelina Kwan.
            This performing edition is unpublished but copies may be obtained from Nicholas Cook, Department of Music, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK (email ncook@soton.ac.uk).

Yes: http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Cedes/The...Concertos.html Inedita CD Beethoven Rarities vol.4, CD PI 2352

The recording on Inedita takes 16 min 05. This is the whole of the reconstruction, i.e. the first movement only.

Sketches for other movements are existant, but too few to be used usefully for a reconstruction of middle movemt and/or finale:
            Grasnick 20b, Landsberg 10, Mendelssohn 1, Mendelssohn 6, and Scheide sketchbooks, nearly none of them published.

Gurn replied:
            Piano Concerto in D major
            In 1888, the German musicologist Guido Adler found the score of a first movement of an unfinished piano concerto. It had been copied out by a Prague musician, Joseph Bezecny with the title “Concerto in D major for Piano and Orchestra by L. van Beethoven” and dated 1830. Adler dated the composition between 1788 and 1793, as did other respected musicologists. The work was published in 1890, as an unfinished early work by Beethoven.

It would all have ended there, but in 1925 Hans Engel claimed that the fragment belonged to a concerto by a Bohemian composer Jan Joseph Rösler (1771 – 1813). The experts were unconvinced. They cited stylistic discrepancies between the fragment and the remaining Rosler movements as evidence that the work could not have been the missing movement of the Rösler concerto.

The case may never be proven scientifically but musically, there is every reason to believe that this movement was from the twenty year old Beethoven who had just discovered the work of Mozart and Haydn, whose influence can clearly be heard.
            This is another concerto in D major (WoO Anhang 7 / Hess Anhang 6), to be found on http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Cedes/The...Concertos.html .
            this CD consists of recordings by Felicja Blumenthal which had been released earlier on Everest.

The Vox - Turnabout labels once produced a CD called The Young Beethoven with this concerto movement in D as well.

The quote which Gurn supplied from liner notes is a nice paraphrase of the entry under Anh.7 in the Kinsky-Halm Catalogue, p.721.
            In the mean time (the Kinsky-Halm dates from 1955) it is clear, that no sketches whatsoever which might be related to this concerto have been identified, making it the more unlikely that this concerto movement was composed by Beethoven.
            Last edited by Roehre; 11-26-2009, 01:51 PM. Reason: Adding Nicholas Cooke's address

Comment

Hess 15 has been recorded on the Inedita label and it is available on their website.

Hess 15 should not be confused with the work discovered by Guido Adler.
              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Also may I add, the manuscript of the the Cook realization of Hess 15 was available on the internet (I downloaded it a few years ago). It might be still available.
                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                X