Water Music Premiere Reconstruction on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Music Premiere Reconstruction on TV

On BBC2 Tonight in UK, 8pm, documentary including an authentic reconstruction of the performance on river barge of Handel's Watermusic for King George I. Should be interesting.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings...ervice_id=4224

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-08-2004).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Originally posted by Rod:
    On BBC2 Tonight in UK, 8pm, documentary including an authentic reconstruction of the performance on river barge of Handel's Watermusic for King George I. Should be interesting.

This link might work!:
    [URL=http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvs&id=166005007&channels=europe_bb2&lineu p=uk&.intl=uk]http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvs&id=166005007&channels=europe_bb2&lineu p=uk&.intl=uk[/ URL]

DAMN... one of my aunts has turned 50 and is giving a HUGE feast we're all invited...TOO bad I have to miss this...It looks/sounds great to me...I always love watching reconstruction programme's in general like the ones on discovery...but MUSIC and RECONSTRUCTION that would be GREAT.

Reagards (sigh),

ruud

Comment

This sounds very interesting indeed and I would love to see it. I like when they reconstruct situations also, it's always very good to see how they go about doing it. Rod, let us know if you enjoyed this program, ok?

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Rod, You are just a tease, that's all Indeed, let us know, this is a mixing of all my favorite genres.

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings...ervice_id=4224

I was out last night but fortunately I've recorded it - worth watching?

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            I was out last night but fortunately I've recorded it - worth watching?

Well, not bad, but not half as interesting as it could have been and they only performed a few of the better known pieces at the end. I should have been the producer. Put it this way, I watched it and recorded it simultaneously but today I will overwrite it to record the Spanish F1 Grand Prix!

But at least the BBC has finally done something about Handel for once instead of Bach which we usually get, which considering how much he (Handel) wrote in England is a bit of a disgrace.

------------------

Comment

I mentioned this before on Rod's Handel site,
              last year I bought a programme from the 900th commemoration of Westminster Abbey from1966.
              It is gloriously illustrated and contains articles on the Choir School,Westminster School,the Abbey treasures,the architecture,the gardens,the flags,the bells and the programme
              of all the events to celebrate 900 years.
              They played Beethoven's Missa Solemnis,Bach's St Matthew Passion,some Purcell hymns and Monteverdi's Vespers,but where oh where is the Handel? A friend suggested that the listing for Christmas Eve and Day states "Usual Christmas Services"which traditionally includes Handel's "Messiah"
              Seems to me they could have done a bit better by Handel.
              Muriel
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:

Seems to me they could have done a bit better by Handel.
                Muriel
                Especially considering Handel's bones lie in Westminster Abbey!!

------------------

Comment

Especially considering Handel's bones lie in Westminster Abbey!!

So did Handel play the organ at Westminster Abbey very often?
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                    So did Handel play the organ at Westminster Abbey very often?
                    Not to my knowledge - I thought he played at St.Georges Hanover Square.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, not bad, but not half as interesting as it could have been and they only performed a few of the better known pieces at the end. I should have been the producer. Put it this way, I watched it and recorded it simultaneously but today I will overwrite it to record the Spanish F1 Grand Prix!

But at least the BBC has finally done something about Handel for once instead of Bach which we usually get, which considering how much he (Handel) wrote in England is a bit of a disgrace.

Well I'll watch it anyway - I have a 1959 photo of bicentenary celebrations in Halle which seemed pretty well attended, not sure what London put on. Did they do anything in 1985? I also have a commemorative Handel medal from the crystal palace exhibition of 1857, so at least he was remembered then!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Further research has revealed that through- out the year of the 900th commemoration of Westminster Abbey a series of organ recitals was presented with such artists as Jeanne de Messieux, Frenando Germani,Anton Heiller,Gillian Weir,Francis Jackson
                        and Robert Baker.
                        Their programmes were not published,but I hope they might have played some Handel.

I wonder if any of the many ,many choir recitals and services that year presented works of Handel,not to mention the hundreds of Band concerts.
                        The week of May9 to 14 was a "Homage to Music" Patronized by the Queen Mother ,performances by The Bach Choir ,London Symphony Orchestra,Amadeus Quartet ,The Ambrosian Singers, The English Chamber Orchestra and The BBC Symphony Orchestra,chorus and choral society all performed.I'm sure they must have squeezed in some Handel somewhere.
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                        X