On this day, May 7th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this day, May 7th!

First performance of Symphony # 9 in D minor, Op. 125, in Vienna. (1824)

Johannes Brahms was born in Hamburg. (1833)

Antonio Salieri died in Vienna. (1825)

What a day.

Pastoralli you beat me to the punch! Of course On This Day back in 1824 was the first performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in Vienna's Kaerntnerthor Theater, with Michael Umlauf conducting. Beethoven, who had been deaf for many years, did not realize the audience was applauding at the end of the performance alto singer Karoline Unger turned him around to see it. The idea of composing music to the Ode already existed as far back as 1793 and then again appeared in a sketchbook of 1798.

"It was a symphony of firsts: the first to exceed an hour, and the first to include singers as well as musicians. Recently, the manuscript that Beethoven used the night of that premiere fetched three and a half million dollars at an auction. Fans of the symphony the world over consider it priceless. The universal appeal of "Ode to Joy."
    A quote from Beethoven in a letter to the Russian Ambassador in Vienna, "I am just publishing the greatest symphony I have yet written."
    "Oh friends, not these tones! Let us raise our voices in more pleasing and more joyful sounds!"
    "Brothers, surely a loving Father dwells above the canopy of stars. Do you sink before him, Millions? World, do you sense your creator? Seek him the beyond the stars! he must dwell beyond the stars."

Also On This Day, 1840, the birth of Russian composer Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky, in Votkinsk.
    A big day in music history!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Pastoralli you beat me to the punch! Of course On This Day back in 1824 was the first performance of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in Vienna's Kaerntnerthor Theater, with Michael Umlauf conducting. Beethoven, who had been deaf for many years, did not realize the audience was applauding at the end of the performance alto singer Karoline Unger turned him around to see it. The idea of composing music to the Ode already existed as far back as 1793 and then again appeared in a sketchbook of 1798.

"It was a symphony of firsts: the first to exceed an hour, and the first to include singers as well as musicians. Recently, the manuscript that Beethoven used the night of that premiere fetched three and a half million dollars at an auction. Fans of the symphony the world over consider it priceless. The universal appeal of "Ode to Joy."
      A quote from Beethoven in a letter to the Russian Ambassador in Vienna, "I am just publishing the greatest symphony I have yet written."
      "Oh friends, not these tones! Let us raise our voices in more pleasing and more joyful sounds!"
      "Brothers, surely a loving Father dwells above the canopy of stars. Do you sink before him, Millions? World, do you sense your creator? Seek him the beyond the stars! he must dwell beyond the stars."

Also On This Day, 1840, the birth of Russian composer Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky, in Votkinsk.
      A big day in music history!

Joy, it's also the Symphony in D, that beats me to the punch! Within the past months, I was often listening to the Ode and it is still going to be greater and greater to me. Ah, I love it! The Fugue 'be embraced' I could cry all the time I listen to this part combined with Schiller's lyrics, it's almost not to believe, how beautiful it is...
      Great listening to Zinman - cause bar 747, we have it (allegro assai...) twice there

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
        Joy, it's also the Symphony in D, that beats me to the punch! Within the past months, I was often listening to the Ode and it is still going to be greater and greater to me. Ah, I love it! The Fugue 'be embraced' I could cry all the time I listen to this part combined with Schiller's lyrics, it's almost not to believe, how beautiful it is...
        Great listening to Zinman - cause bar 747, we have it (allegro assai...) twice there

I know what you mean! It does get greater the more you listen to it. That's what makes the composer so great that you can hear his music so many times and still get a thrill from it. What power he had!

------------------

Comment

Working...
        X