sonata op.111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sonata op.111

Every time one speaks of his favourite sonata of beethoven one mentions his most well-known works..?
    I personally am fond of his sonata in c minor OP.111 I find the first part just GREAT the fugal theme which keeps on recurring the exhillarating start of the allegro, the desparation which this piece breaths appeals to me hugely..and the second movement is a perfect contrast an almost meditive peace and quiet radiates from the original theme, and doesen't any of you hear ragtime in the 2nd or 3d *i'm not sure* variation.

I'm looking forward to hear what your opinion is on this monumental sonata

Arrgg...again this Sonata, which I just know as number! Amalie, please help me out!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
      Arrgg...again this Sonata, which I just know as number! Amalie, please help me out!
      This sonata in c minor is composed in 1822 and is the LAST of his 32 number set. It is dedicated to The archduke Rudolph and was first published by schlessinger when I'mn right, the fact that it only had 2 parts confused publishers and this caused the work to be printed quite late *1823/24* this is all I can aid for sofar about this piece for the rest I'm interested what amalie could supply further on.

Comment

It is one of my favourites, the sublimely spiritual 2nd movement with its magical trills - in Tovey's words 'like an ecstatic vision'.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
          This sonata in c minor is composed in 1822 and is the LAST of his 32 number set. It is dedicated to The archduke Rudolph and was first published by schlessinger when I'mn right, the fact that it only had 2 parts confused publishers and this caused the work to be printed quite late *1823/24* this is all I can aid for sofar about this piece for the rest I'm interested what amalie could supply further on.
          Ruud
          Amalie will send me a CD with the late Sonatas. I'm sure Op. 111 will be on this CD, I don't know this S. by listening, but have heard a lot about it, here in the forum. So I'm gladly waiting for this masterpiece

Comment

Ruud
            Amalie will send me a CD with the late Sonatas. I'm sure Op. 111 will be on this CD, I don't know this S. by listening, but have heard a lot about it, here in the forum. So I'm gladly waiting for this masterpiece

Most definitely, Opus 111 is also one of my favourite Sonatas, and the second movement certainly carries us into the infinite.

For notes on Beethoven's last three piano sonatas. http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/notes/55083.html

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Are there any recommendations as to performer? I think I have this somewhere by Charles Rosen who is a supreme Beethoven scholar and performer, but it is on vinyl. I recently bought the Hammerklavier by Stephen Kovacevich which is a fantastic interpretation. Not sure if he has done the Op 111 but I would be surprised if he hasn't
              His recording of the Maetro's 3 and 4 Piano Concerti is one of the best I have heard

------------------
              Love from London
              Love from London

Comment

TJ,
                Oddly, this came up in another thread a few minutes ago, and the qustion was raised about Vladimir Askenazy. The only of his sonatas I have are a London "Double-Decker" called "The Last Piano Sonatas" and it has the last 5, including a very good Hammerklavier and this Op 111. I would bet you can get this set there in London with no problem at all. I think the Op 111 compares favorably with the version I have by Brendel, which is also a very good one.

Ruud,
                Certainly yes, I hear that little bit of "ragtime", I always think of it as jazz. Some players stress it more than others, but even when one doesn't emphasize it particularly, it still stands out as very "modern" sounding. Amazing enough for 1822, no?

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I've been fascinated by the last two sonatas for years and would love to hear comments as to favourite performances. I think I'm kindof stuck on a quest, like if I ever find the right one, the secrets of the universe will reveal.

Currently my preferred of 111 is Ivo Pogorelich, probably not strict to Beethoven's markings but the performance I find the most moving.

And preferred performance of 110 is still Jorg Demus' playing on a Graf piano. Best voicing of the fugues, and best use EVER of early piano.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuprik:
                    I've been fascinated by the last two sonatas for years and would love to hear comments as to favourite performances. I think I'm kindof stuck on a quest, like if I ever find the right one, the secrets of the universe will reveal.

Currently my preferred of 111 is Ivo Pogorelich, probably not strict to Beethoven's markings but the performance I find the most moving.

And preferred performance of 110 is still Jorg Demus' playing on a Graf piano. Best voicing of the fugues, and best use EVER of early piano.
                    I have all the late sonatas played by Paul Badura-Skoda using a Graf, these are great.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Pastoralli..
                      I tried several times to email you the 1st movement form this magnificent sonata but I failed time and again.
                      Perhaps you could give me a adress which is able to take 6 mb of music...It's performed by John Lill from my mega-set

Greetz, Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                        TJ,
                        Oddly, this came up in another thread a few minutes ago, and the qustion was raised about Vladimir Askenazy. The only of his sonatas I have are a London "Double-Decker" called "The Last Piano Sonatas" and it has the last 5, including a very good Hammerklavier and this Op 111. I would bet you can get this set there in London with no problem at all. I think the Op 111 compares favorably with the version I have by Brendel, which is also a very good one.

Ruud,
                        Certainly yes, I hear that little bit of "ragtime", I always think of it as jazz. Some players stress it more than others, but even when one doesn't emphasize it particularly, it still stands out as very "modern" sounding. Amazing enough for 1822, no?

Gurn many thanks for your reply. Colleagues of mine often mention Vladimir Ashkenasy's interpretations of the Maestro's piano sonatas I will try to check check these out and let you know

------------------
                        Love from London
                        Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                          Pastoralli..
                          I tried several times to email you the 1st movement form this magnificent sonata but I failed time and again.
                          Perhaps you could give me a adress which is able to take 6 mb of music...It's performed by John Lill from my mega-set

Greetz, Ruud
                          Hui Ruud
                          You was that! I became an error message, because my mailbox has only 5MB of space I must check this out, because I thought for myself I should have much more... thanks

Comment

Hui Ruud
                            You was that! I became an error message, because my mailbox has only 5MB of space I must check this out, because I thought for myself I should have much more... thanks

If you are prepared to wait a while (like about 30 weeks!) you'll hear Badura-Skoda's rendition of the first movement of op111 on the Authentic mp3 page.

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                              If you are prepared to wait a while (like about 30 weeks!) you'll hear Badura-Skoda's rendition of the first movement of op111 on the Authentic mp3 page.

Ah, great! I'm 100% prepared to wait! To wait is half the business of a collector...

Comment

Working...
                              X