Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this day

Antonin Dvorák died on May 1. 1904 in Prague. †

In memoriam to this great composer, I salute with op.104, Concerto for Violoncello and Orchestra.

Pastorali thank you very much for that posting. I have been listening to Dvorak for many years and have always thought his symphonies in particular to be works of exquisite melody and passion. Only yesterday was I listening to Leonard Bernstein and (I think) the New York Philharmonic with no 7 which was superb. Your reminding me of his centenary will inspire me to find more works by this wonderful composer

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
      Antonin Dvorák died on May 1. 1904 in Prague. †

In memoriam to this great composer, I salute with op.104, Concerto for Violoncello and Orchestra.
      The 'cello concerto is magnificent, I think along with his 8th symphony the finest music he wrote. Now if only Beethoven had written a 'cello concerto!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Last night on the radio they dedicated a whole hour to Dvorak's music in honour of him. They played his 8th symphony among others of his, just a wonderful hour!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          The 'cello concerto is magnificent, I think along with his 8th symphony the finest music he wrote. Now if only Beethoven had written a 'cello concerto!

I've recently preferred the 7th Symphony but the 8th is a great one for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Well, every genre he touched he turned to gold, but in his cello sonatas alone you will find no better music for that instrument.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Well, every genre he touched he turned to gold, but in his cello sonatas alone you will find no better music for that instrument.

Very true and I particularly love Op.69

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for these postings. Rather embarrassingly I hadn't even been aware of the Dvorak Cello Sonatas but will certainly now look out for them. The Cello Concerto however was one of the first pieces of Classical music that awoke me to the simple fact that there is more than rock - in those days it was (if I remember rightly) an exquisite choice between Paul Tortelier and Mstislav Rostropovitch. I am sure that many more equally creditable renderings are now with us - Yo Yo Ma perhaps?

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                  Thanks for these postings. Rather embarrassingly I hadn't even been aware of the Dvorak Cello Sonatas but will certainly now look out for them. The Cello Concerto however was one of the first pieces of Classical music that awoke me to the simple fact that there is more than rock - in those days it was (if I remember rightly) an exquisite choice between Paul Tortelier and Mstislav Rostropovitch. I am sure that many more equally creditable renderings are now with us - Yo Yo Ma perhaps?

TJ,
                  I fear they have sidetracked you and brought Beethoven into the discussion through the side door, as it were. That pesky Sorrano... In any case, Dvorak's Concerto is indeed a masterpiece, and I will say that a few little incidentals that he wrote, such as "Silent Woods" are showing his mastery of the cello voice too. No sonatas, alas, you were right all along. There ARE many versions out today, true, but you could do a lot worse than Mtislav.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    TJ,
                    I fear they have sidetracked you and brought Beethoven into the discussion through the side door, as it were. That pesky Sorrano... In any case, Dvorak's Concerto is indeed a masterpiece, and I will say that a few little incidentals that he wrote, such as "Silent Woods" are showing his mastery of the cello voice too. No sonatas, alas, you were right all along. There ARE many versions out today, true, but you could do a lot worse than Mtislav.

Hey! I WAS referring to Dvorak's 7th, heh heh! But Beethoven's 7th is good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Hey! I WAS referring to Dvorak's 7th, heh heh! But Beethoven's 7th is good, too.
                      Sorrano,
                      Yes, you're right, in re-reading this confusing thread, it was Rascally Rod who got us onto that track, with a well-justified plug for B's Cello Sonatas, I humbly apologize for fixing it on you.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment