Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand new fan of this site

good day you all,
    I'm all new to this site but I do like what I've seen so far.
    I'm from the netherlands and I yust bought A collection of beethoven cd's *40 Cd's for 50 euro*.
    the piano sonata's are performed by john lill, but what I'd like too know is wether one can find authentic performances in the netherland....I hope one of you knows something.
    And rod I really LOVE the performances I've heard so far.

P.s I'm sorry for any grammatical errors I might have made English just isn't my first language

Welcome ruudp! Greetings from Vienna and looking forward to more posts from you.

Comment

Hi ruudp
      Regards to Holland from Switzerland. I was several times in Amsterdam and one time in Edam and it were always very nice stays there!! (oh, these cheese balls...)
      40 CDs for 50 €uro? This would be a case for me, I think Be sure, this is just the beginning, you can get here so many infos, there's no end!

PS: Beethoven was no friend of Holland I think, wasn't there a quote, he angry did about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
        Hi ruudp
        Regards to Holland from Switzerland. I was several times in Amsterdam and one time in Edam and it were always very nice stays there!! (oh, these cheese balls...)
        40 CDs for 50 €uro? This would be a case for me, I think Be sure, this is just the beginning, you can get here so many infos, there's no end!

PS: Beethoven was no friend of Holland I think, wasn't there a quote, he angry did about it?

Thnx you're right, Beethoven once Gave a concert in the netherlands together with his mother (1784) *she had relatives there* and he got paid 63 florins, quite the sum those days.
        our young genius however was less than satisfied and said that we dutch were cheap moneybags.

I'll give the site of the dutch shop where I bought these cd's, they're only buyable via internet nowadays. http://www.kruidvatcdshop.nl/epages/...hop.storefront

from this link you should go to klassiek *which means classical**bottomleft* and then click on Brilliant classics *middelpart up*

I hope you understood what I said.
        Greetz, Ruud

p.s the P stands for my lastname my name is yust ruud.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
          Welcome ruudp! Greetings from Vienna and looking forward to more posts from you.
          Thnx for the warm welcome ,
          Herzlichen dank wie sie sehen können lernen wir auch Deutsch auf unseren Schulen, sei es grammatikal nicht ganz correct .

GrüBen and greetz,

Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

Thnx you're right, Beethoven once Gave a concert in the netherlands together with his mother (1784) *she had relatives there* and he got paid 63 florins, quite the sum those days.
            our young genius however was less than satisfied and said that we dutch were cheap moneybags.

I'll give the site of the dutch shop where I bought these cd's, they're only buyable via internet nowadays. http://www.kruidvatcdshop.nl/epages/...hop.storefront

from this link you should go to klassiek *which means classical**bottomleft* and then click on Brilliant classics *middelpart up*

I hope you understood what I said.
            Greetz, Ruud

p.s the P stands for my lastname my name is yust ruud.
            Thanks Ruud. Interesting shop. I wonder how this mega-set sounds? I have seen it here once too, but not so cheap.
            Maybe the dutch are 'cheap moneybags', but you have good CD prices

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
              Thanks Ruud. Interesting shop. I wonder how this mega-set sounds? I have seen it here once too, but not so cheap.
              Maybe the dutch are 'cheap moneybags', but you have good CD prices
              As far as I can tell the set sounds superb, Al the pianosonata's are performed by john lill, emmy verhey plays most of the violin parts including the masterful kreutzer *together with carlos moerdijk* I've also got a recording of the pathetique by glen gould which sounds incredible.

But one question does arise, Last year I went to the beethoven museum together with my sister and brother *it was their gift because I graduated from secundary school(havo I'm 17)* And they recommended me a recording of the appasionata and tempest sonata by wilhelm Kempf. It didn't appeal to as much as other recordings did? Is this a case of bad taste from my part or do others share this opinion.

greetz Ruud

Comment

I have the Wilhelm Kempff recordings which are quite sublime. However I was raised on Sviatoslav Richter and after those renditions nothing can be quite the same.

------------------
                Love from London
                Love from London

Comment

Ruud,
                  I also have the Kempff Appassionata but not the Tempest, instead Pathetique, Moonlight and Waldstein. I must say of all my Beethoven sonata discs, this one is my favorite of all. Of course for the sonatas which are among my favorites too, but also because his style of play seems very appropriate to the music. What would be most interesting would have been to hear him play on a fortepiano. Few of the fortepiano players I hear have his huge talent, so even though I like the sound of the piano, the playing is less. Oh well, no perfect world I guess, and so many different tastes. The music itself is the most important thing, so enjoy!

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

A friend recommended Vladimir Ashkenazy playing some of the piano sonatas.. I got a disc of him doing Moonlight, Appassionata, and Waldstein. How do these compare to what some of you know and love? I really love how he does these ones... the best moonlight and appassionata i've heard. I think I need to find a copy of him doing Pathetique and Tempest.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      Ruud,
                      I also have the Kempff Appassionata but not the Tempest, instead Pathetique, Moonlight and Waldstein. I must say of all my Beethoven sonata discs, this one is my favorite of all. Of course for the sonatas which are among my favorites too, but also because his style of play seems very appropriate to the music. What would be most interesting would have been to hear him play on a fortepiano. Few of the fortepiano players I hear have his huge talent, so even though I like the sound of the piano, the playing is less. Oh well, no perfect world I guess, and so many different tastes. The music itself is the most important thing, so enjoy!

Gurn,
                      I listened to my kempff cd again yesterday and have come to the conclusion that he does play well, the thing I missed in his appasionata was the fact that he played it on a distanciated way *if this indeed is a english word* I've got recordings of john lill which show more passion in the music, his technique however is superb and the very thing I criticise him for on the one hand is his charm on the other, he also plays the tempest on my cd and the 3rd movement is great he plays it not agitated but with a drive which is just what the music need.
                      Overall I'm glad I bought the cd although 25 euro's was a considerable sum.
                      *I still am from the netherlands and we've got to hold a reputation of moneybags don't we *

Regards,

Ruud

Comment

Gurn,
                        I listened to my kempff cd again yesterday and have come to the conclusion that he does play well, the thing I missed in his appasionata was the fact that he played it on a distanciated way *if this indeed is a english word* I've got recordings of john lill which show more passion in the music, his technique however is superb and the very thing I criticise him for on the one hand is his charm on the other, he also plays the tempest on my cd and the 3rd movement is great he plays it not agitated but with a drive which is just what the music need.
                        *I still am from the netherlands and we've got to hold a reputation of moneybags don't we *

Regards,

Ruud
                        Ruud,
                        I wonder if such perceptions as "distanced" are only in the mind of the listener or if it is actual. One of the things I liked about the Kempff was that even though it seemed like a "big time" performance, at the same time it seemed intimate, as though he was really involved in it and I just happened to be eavesdropping on something that he was doing for himself. It is interesting because I feel that is what you are saying also about Lill. I have not heard him play yet, although many say he is very good. I guess it is time to lose my "Dutch" image and spend some money on his CD's!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn,

Regards,

Ruud
                          I have mixed feelings about Kempf myself. Some of the sonatas he plays very well with intensity. Others (I have the complete set) he plays as though he just wanted to get through it to get to the next sonata. From what I've read in this forum there doesn't seem to be a definitive cycle of the complete sonatas, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X