Opus 31 #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opus 31 #3

Since Amalie introduced the topic elsewhere, I have been looking around for an answer to her question "Why is Op 31 #3 called "The Hunt Sonata"" with minimal success. I found a great link at Raptus and here it is, but you can see that it only mentions the topic peripherally. Does anyone have a better explanation than this?
    http://raptusassociation.org/sonindexe.html

Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously so that we would all hunt for the answer to this question.

Yep, it's official. I'm the funniest man who ever lived

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 04-28-2004).]

Comment

Beethoven was living at Heiligenstadt when these were published in the autumn of 1802(or was it 1803),perhaps the hunt was a bit of marketing
      on the part of Breitkopf &Hartel?
      Muriel
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Since Amalie introduced the topic elsewhere, I have been looking around for an answer to her question "Why is Op 31 #3 called "The Hunt Sonata"" with minimal success. I found a great link at Raptus and here it is, but you can see that it only mentions the topic peripherally. Does anyone have a better explanation than this?
        http://raptusassociation.org/sonindexe.html

Thankyou for the very interesting and informative link Gurn.
        One explanation that I did come accross is that the Opus 31.#3 sonata was given the name 'The Hunt' purely because of the rhythm of the final movement in compound duple time, resulting in an almost perpetuum mobile with its Presto con Fuoco.
        I rather think that this lovely sonata is sadly neglected.
        I think Saint-Seans chose the theme as the basis for his popular Op. 35 Varaitions for two piano's. Perhaps someone will be able to provide a bit more information about this.?

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-30-2004).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
          I suspect that you are probably correct. Note that this rhythm begins right in the first movement and is reprised in the last. When I listened to it the other night with a special interest in trying to hear if there was indeed such a thing, this was all I came away with. I quite agree with you, this is a very nice sonata, as are so many of B's works in Eb, which is unfortunately overshadowed by its immediate neighbor in d minor, the Schindler-named Tempest. So it goes.

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I liked to go to the library today - but it's celebration day and was closed. I have to go there anyway next Monday or Thusday and will look out for two informative books I know there (if they are not taken away). Two thick books about all Opus and I would be surprised, this is not devinitely to clear with them.
            What have I found out for myself: There are many 'hunting things' by B., W. A. Mozart, Chopin, Liszt...

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 05-01-2004).]

Comment

I checked out 'Beethoven - Interpretations of his works' (Riethmuller, Dahlhaus, Ringer)

Opus 31/3 is handled there on 3 1/2 pages, but 'Hunt' is mentioned not one time. I'm sorry...

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                I checked out 'Beethoven - Interpretations of his works' (Riethmuller, Dahlhaus, Ringer)

Opus 31/3 is handled there on 3 1/2 pages, but 'Hunt' is mentioned not one time. I'm sorry...
                Pastorali,
                Well, I have found references all over to this sonata as "The Hunt", so I know for sure that someone (certainly not Beethoven, so we should simply reject it anyway) has hung this name on it. I am now only curious to understand why this would be. Goo dtry anyway.

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  Pastorali,
                  Well, I have found references all over to this sonata as "The Hunt", so I know for sure that someone (certainly not Beethoven, so we should simply reject it anyway) has hung this name on it. I am now only curious to understand why this would be. Goo dtry anyway.

Gurn
                  The rhythm, it must be the rhythm...

Comment

Working...
                  X