Which Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
    Sorrano I have to agree. For me the "precision and incision" to qoute Yehudi Menuhin, of Toscanini and the NBC Symphony's rendtion of the Maestro's 5 is overwhelming, even in glorious mono. Check out No 7 by Toscanin / NBC too. If you like supreme command this is the one.

Thanks for the tip; I'll check that out. I've heard a lot about the Kleiber recordings, but don't know much about them. The word is they are good, but how good are they? How do they compare with Toscanini?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
      Thanks for the tip; I'll check that out. I've heard a lot about the Kleiber recordings, but don't know much about them. The word is they are good, but how good are they? How do they compare with Toscanini?
      Sorrano,
      Check out that link I posted, up a bit. He addresses you question quite nicely, I think. BTW, you are quite welcome for that other. Regardless, you can scarcely go wrong with AAM, they just don't ever seem to mess up too badly

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        Well, I have run down a link to a page written by a person whose opinion I respect from past good advice, and this is just on the 5th, currently available versions, so it should be right what you want.
        http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/fifth.html

Nice! I noted the line in regards to Celibidache and have like very much his performances of other works (Tchaikowsky in particular) and now I want to try his version of the Beethoven. Thanks for the link!

Comment

S,
          You are most welcome, as always.

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~