Which Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Recording

Hi, guys i have been studying beethoven's music for years. I have heard many recordings of his symphony #5,i was wondering do guys have a preface of recordings to listen to when you want to hear the symphony? Which orchestra and Conductor?

Moving this to General where it belongs.

Comment

Could someone help me on this whole catergory thing where are the questions and topics suppose to go. i guess mr. chris got a little hostile with me for misplacing my recording question.

Comment

Not hostile, just moving the topics where they belong.

The decriptions of what goes in each forum are right on the page where you click which forum to go to and on the top of every single page in the Forum Rules.

But to sum up:

Everything about Beethoven, classical music, etc. goes here in the General forum. The Suggestions forum is for suggestions and comments about this website.

Comment

Originally posted by DW:
          Hi, guys i have been studying beethoven's music for years. I have heard many recordings of his symphony #5,i was wondering do guys have a preface of recordings to listen to when you want to hear the symphony? Which orchestra and Conductor?
          The generally accepted standard of the 5th Symphony has been Carlos Kleiber's 1975 recording with the Vienna Philharmonic on Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft label. It has been "enhanced" by Deutsche Grammophon for their "Originals" series on CD, but it has been the preferred recording since it was released on vinyl in 1975. The enhancement has been chiefly that they brought up the volume levels of the climaxes, but they did a little more "spin-doctoring" to it.

I haven't heard Herbert von Karajan's 1963 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic (on Deutsche Grammophon, as well) in sometime, but I bet they also spin-doctored it for the SACD release, so it might actually be competitive with Kleiber's recording.

Kleiber's recording contains the last movement repeat, which was seldom observed (at best) before his time, so I doubt Karajan observed it in 1963.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Ybarra:
            The generally accepted standard of the 5th Symphony has been Carlos Kleiber's 1975 recording with the Vienna Philharmonic on Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft label. It has been "enhanced" by Deutsche Grammophon for their "Originals" series on CD, but it has been the preferred recording since it was released on vinyl in 1975. The enhancement has been chiefly that they brought up the volume levels of the climaxes, but they did a little more "spin-doctoring" to it.

I haven't heard Herbert von Karajan's 1963 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic (on Deutsche Grammophon, as well) in sometime, but I bet they also spin-doctored it for the SACD release, so it might actually be competitive with Kleiber's recording.

Kleiber's recording contains the last movement repeat, which was seldom observed (at best) before his time, so I doubt Karajan observed it in 1963.
            My personal favorite is the Toscanini recording (I think 1952 but I can't remember right now). How does that compare with the Kleiber? (Don't know if you are familiar with the Toscanini.) I like the Karajan, but I still prefer the former.

Comment

Originally posted by DW:
              Berlin philharmonic- Karajan

..there is also a good one by the NY Philharmonic with Bernstein conducting.

------------------
              v russo
              v russo

Comment

I haven't heard very many versions, but the one I like the best is Seiji Ozawa with the Boston Symphony Orchestra sometime in the 70's... has anyone else heard this one? How does it compare to the other ones mentioned (I haven't heard any of them)?

EDIT - I just checked and the year is 1981, not the 70's.

[This message has been edited by cosplusisin (edited 04-26-2004).]

Comment

I haven't heard the Ozawa/BSO, so can't compare, but I have the others and also Academy of Ancient Music/Hogwood. I would say that VPO/Kleiber is my favorite by far, followed by AAM/Hogwood then BPO/Karajan. While BPO doesn't have the tempo (they use more the Romantic era tempos, although it is not as bad with this piece as with the 9th, for instance) they do manage quite nicely to put the suspense and "fate knocks" feeling into the music. But Kleiber makes your hair stand on end, and how can you ask for more than that?

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 04-26-2004).]
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

excerpt from Carl Ybarra's post:

... what is the "last movement repeat"?

and how about the ABABA' version of the third movement? most just do ABA' nowadays, right?

(sorry if this is "basic knowledge" to some of you, but I am still relatively new to the whole classical music thing, so I'd like to learn more about it.)

Comment

Originally posted by cosplusisin:
                      ... what is the "last movement repeat"?
                      the last movement restarts right before the development of the theme.

and how about the ABABA' version of the third movement? most just do ABA' nowadays, right?
                      Not quite, since Karajan's era, people have regained affection for repetitions, yay!

(sorry if this is "basic knowledge" to some of you, but I am still relatively new to the whole classical music thing, so I'd like to learn more about it.)
                      not a problem, we are all here for it.

"Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

oh ok... thanks for the reply!

Comment

David Zinman & Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich – fiery!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                            My personal favorite is the Toscanini recording (I think 1952 but I can't remember right now). How does that compare with the Kleiber? (Don't know if you are familiar with the Toscanini.) I like the Karajan, but I still prefer the former.
                            Sorrano I have to agree. For me the "precision and incision" to qoute Yehudi Menuhin, of Toscanini and the NBC Symphony's rendtion of the Maestro's 5 is overwhelming, even in glorious mono. Check out No 7 by Toscanin / NBC too. If you like supreme command this is the one.

------------------
                            Love from London
                            Love from London

Comment

Well, I have run down a link to a page written by a person whose opinion I respect from past good advice, and this is just on the 5th, currently available versions, so it should be right what you want.
                              http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/fifth.html

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~