Madame Hummel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madame Hummel

Thayer speaks of Ferdinand Hiller's memory of Madame Hummel not being able to bring herself to visit the dying composer and Beethoven saying what a lucky man Hummel was to have a devoted and loving wife while he had no one.But on Hillers next visit Madame Hummel pats dry the perspiration on Beethoven's brow with a wisp of battiste.
    Beethoven had known Madame Hummel when she was "a young, beautiful girl."I'd like to know who Madame Hummel was before she married?
    can anyone help?
    Muriel
    "Finis coronat opus "

Originally posted by spaceray:
    Thayer speaks of Ferdinand Hiller's memory of Madame Hummel not being able to bring herself to visit the dying composer and Beethoven saying what a lucky man Hummel was to have a devoted and loving wife while he had no one.But on Hillers next visit Madame Hummel pats dry the perspiration on Beethoven's brow with a wisp of battiste.
    Beethoven had known Madame Hummel when she was "a young, beautiful girl."I'd like to know who Madame Hummel was before she married?
    can anyone help?
    Muriel
    That is a very touching story.
    I checked in my references and found that on May 18th, 1813, Hummel married Elizabeth Rockel, a singer and sister of one of Beethoven's friends.
    Apparently she was very much loved by Beethoven and he wanted to marry her, but alas, poor dear Ludwig was trounced again.
    Hummel snatched her away from him!
    So it goes...

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 04-24-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Thanks Amalie!
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
      X