Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Beethoven "fan" here.......

Hi all,

I'm just getting into Beethoven and don't really know what to look for at the record shop. I'd be really greatful if anybody can suggest what to start my Beethoven "collection"with.

Much Thanks

O Boogie.

P.S. I usually listen to Beatles, Stones, The Who, ect..... so this is new territory for me

------------------
    "It's all in the mind."
    "It's all in the mind."

Originally posted by O Boogie:
    Hi all,

I'm just getting into Beethoven and don't really know what to look for at the record shop. I'd be really greatful if anybody can suggest what to start my Beethoven "collection"with.

Much Thanks

O Boogie.

P.S. I usually listen to Beatles, Stones, The Who, ect..... so this is new territory for me

Try the second movement of Symphony No.7--it'll seem pretty serene after all that rock!

Comment

Welcome to the board Boogie Man
      It was for me a similar way to Beethoven. I made good experiences with his Symphonies first. But don't buy a single CD, look out for a whole set of it. I was busy for more than half a year, just to listen to all these great Symphonies. Good fun!!!
      And of course, I'm still busy with it now and in future too!

Comment

Symphonies 3,5,7,9
        Piano Concertos 4&5
        Overtures: Egmont, and Consecration of the house
        Piano sonatas: Pathetique, Moonlight, Waldstein, Appassionata
        String Quartets: Razumovsky Op.59

That should get you started!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies I'll have to suss some of these out

Best Regards

'O Boogie.

"It's all in the mind."

Comment

Always glad to have another Beethovian on board! All of the above suggestions are well worth trying and may I add a couple of his earlier violin sonatas Opus 12 and Opus 24 #5 "Spring." Very nice. What made you start getting into Beethoven?

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

This is a meesage for Boogie the newBeethoven´s fan.I´m thirty three years lod and I come from rock ´roll too.
              My suggest is to begin with the most famous Opus of Ludwig and later you ´ll NEEDto get more and more from the not so recognized but equally beautiful works.
              A magnificent example of noisy and melodious moments in a single Opus(exactly like rock music)is the Missa solemnis Op 123.
              I promise, you ´ll not regret about buy it.
              Tell me later how it was!!!!!
              arielkofman.yahoo.com.ar

Comment

Hi Joy and Ariel,

Thanks for your relpies. I listen to a little Mozart and Holst and I really enjoy their music. I thought I'd try some Beethoven on for size

Best Regards

'O Boogie.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply as the Forum was down for the past few days.

"It's all in the mind."

Comment

Greetings from Vienna, Austria, O Boogie! It's great to see a new Beethoven fan has joined us here.

I would also suggest Beethoven's Symphony #6, the Pastoral. Then there are the overtures "König Stephan, Op. 117", the "Zur Namensfeier, Op. 115", the "Coriolan, Op. 62" and "The Ruins of Athens, Op. 113".

Comment

This may seem an obvious suggestion, but why not start off with a compilation CD, one of the 'best of Beethoven's? That is a good way to start on a new composer. The one done by the label Teldec is very good (and cheap). You can sample a wide range of Beethoven's well known pieces, which should point you in the right direction if you choose to go further and build up a collection of his music.
                    "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Hey! welcome to beethoven board, like your nickname thought.

I recomend you get this cd, you find it in www.cduniverse.com

"the complete Beethoven Bagettle"

Performer: John Lill

trust me...you are going to love it!

Comment

I was 22 when I first consciously sought out the Maestro My random choice was Symphony 7 conducted by Otto Klemperer and the Philharmonia I have never looked back

------------------
                        Love from London
                        Love from London

Comment

Thanks again to all who answered with helpfull hints on which way to turn......and also for making me feel right at home

Best Regards

'O Boogie
                          "It's all in the mind."

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                            I was 22 when I first consciously sought out the Maestro My random choice was Symphony 7 conducted by Otto Klemperer and the Philharmonia I have never looked back

I AM 22, and it was in this year that I also first consciously sought out "the maestro". And also, the first thing I found was the 7th symphony! So far I have really started to like the symphonies and the piano sonatas.

Comment

Working...
                            X