Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spaceray:
    King Stephen,
    You did not mention Haydn's works for keyboard ,I have only just discovered them myself and I thought they were lovely.
    Muriel
    Muriel, I think "etc." covers all that Haydn composed. I have yet to hear anything by this misjudged composer that I did not like and enjoy. Haydn tends to be looked upon as "that composer" who lived the same time as Mozart and Beethoven. In my opinon he, Haydn, is right up there with the best of them.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
      Muriel, I think "etc." covers all that Haydn composed. I have yet to hear anything by this misjudged composer that I did not like and enjoy. Haydn tends to be looked upon as "that composer" who lived the same time as Mozart and Beethoven. In my opinon he, Haydn, is right up there with the best of them.

I have always regarded Haydn among the very best composers. And perhaps that incredible moment from The Creation, "Let their be light...." is among the great moments in music.

Comment

I also find the final bars in Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and Piano Concerto No. 1 to be particularly fine musical "moments."

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I have always regarded Haydn among the very best composers. And perhaps that incredible moment from The Creation, "Let their be light...." is among the great moments in music.
          Indeed - also the wonderful 'Heavens are telling' chorus from the same work, quite overwhelming.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The movement the 3rd movment of beethovens 4th piano concerto starts. It is like the perfect answer to the second movement.
            I watched inmortal beloved the other night and i learnt this. A time traveling beethoven was framed and set up for killing JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit:
              The movement the 3rd movment of beethovens 4th piano concerto starts. It is like the perfect answer to the second movement.
              I agree this is wonderful! For myself an other outstanding moment of this concert is within the second mvmnt, the Andante: After a while, the orchestra becomes quieter – then a short silence – THIS is it! when the piano starts again... I love it!

Comment

And the first two beats of the 'Eroica', of course! I love it!

(Hell, 'beats' is this the right term ) thanks for help.

Comment

Here are some of my favorites........

Richard Strauss, Four Last Songs, Jessye Norman, Kurt Masur, Philips recording, 1982

Sanctus from Durufle Requiem, Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symph. Orch. and Chorus, Telarc recording 1987.

Gloria from B's Missa solemnis, Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symph. Orch. and Chorus, Telarc recording 1988.

From Wagner's Die Walkure:"Der Manner Sippe" and "Du bist der Lenz", Jessye Norman,James Levine, MET Opera Orch.,Deutsche Grammophon recording 1988.

Smetana, Vltava (The Moldau) from Ma Vlast, Herbert Von Karajan, Wiener Philharmoniker, Deutsche Grammophon recording 1985.

Adagio For Strings, Samuel Barber,Live recording, Leonard Bernstein, Los Angeles Philharmonic, DG recording 1983.

Madama Butterfly, Puccini, "Tu,tu piccolo iddio" (Death of Butterfly), Montserrat Caballe, Charles Mackerras, London Symp. Orch., EMI compulation recording 1986.

Choral Fantasy, Beethoven, Rudolf Serkin, Seiji Ozawa, Boston Symph. Orch. and soloists, Telarc recording 1983.

Suor Angelica, Puccini, "Senza Mamma" and "Amici fiori", Lucia Popp, Guiseppe Patane, Munchner Rundfunkorchester, Eurodisc recording 1988.

Rachmaninoff "Vespers", Robert Shaw, Robert Shaw Festival Singers, Telarc recording 1990.

Lauda Per La Nativita Del Signore, Respighi,
                  Benita Valente, Maureen Forrester, Michael Korn, RCA recording 1988.

Libera Me, Verdi Requiem, Susan Dunn, Robert Shaw, Atlanta Symph. Orch., Telarc recording 1987.

Te Deum, Antonio Teixeira, Harry Christophers and "The Sixteen", Collins recording 1992.

Appassionata, Allergro ma non troppo-Presto,
                  Jeno Jando, Naxos recording 1987.

Comment

It's an easy question but hard to answer. But when I think of Beethoven: his adagio's of symphony 3 and 9. I could not think of not being able to listen to it. Incredible music!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                      A "moment" in music to me is some few seconds of brilliance - it cannot be an entire movement or piece, regardless of how great that movement is.

For example, a couple that come to mind are:

1. 7th Symphony, first movement - The flute entering with the primary theme after the long introduction.
                      2. 6th Symphony, first movement - The final bars before the repeat to the beginning.

I have listened to just these few seconds twenty or thirty times in a row before.
                      in that case, then

Chopin piano concerto no 2 in fminor, in the 2nd movment, near the end, when the oboe enters with a counter melody to the piano's original, which is a repeat from the start of the movment.

if you actually know what im on about!

Shane

Comment

There is a moment in the final movement of Brahms Fourth Symmphony. I think I once heard it referred to as "Clara's theme" (after Clara Schumann) The version I have is (as always) by Toscanini I think it is truly one of the great moments in music

------------------
                        Love from London
                        Love from London

Comment

Oh dear Long day here To the keen observer I did of course mean Brahms first symphony not the fourth

------------------
                          Love from London
                          Love from London

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                            [B]Too many to list but the highlights have to be for me (from different genres and in no order of preference).......

The second guitar break in "Comfortably Numb" from Pink Floyd "The Wall"

"Dies Irae" from Verdi's Requiem under Toscanini and the NBC Symphony (the Giuseppi Di Stefano on tenor version)

"Under My Thumb" by the Stones from "Aftermath" 1966

Fourth movement from Brahm's First Symphony Toscanini and the NBC symphony again please

"I Don't Live Today" from "Are You Experienced?" Jimi Hendrix 1966

The final act from 'Carmen' under the direction of Karajan (I think 1965 or thereabouts with Leontyne Price)

Anything by Miles Davis circa 1969 - 1971 with John McLaughlin on guitar

The Mastro's "Grosse Fugue" Guarneri Quartet circa 1969

Nice choices Tony. I love comfortably numb!
                            I am woman. Hear me roar!

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Margaretha:
                              [b]
                              Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                              Too many to list but the highlights have to be for me (from different genres and in no order of preference).......

The second guitar break in "Comfortably Numb" from Pink Floyd "The Wall"
                              "Dies Irae" from Verdi's Requiem under Toscanini and the NBC Symphony (the Giuseppi Di Stefano on tenor version)

"Under My Thumb" by the Stones from "Aftermath" 1966

Fourth movement from Brahm's First Symphony Toscanini and the NBC symphony again please

"I Don't Live Today" from "Are You Experienced?" Jimi Hendrix 1966

The final act from 'Carmen' under the direction of Karajan (I think 1965 or thereabouts with Leontyne Price)

Anything by Miles Davis circa 1969 - 1971 with John McLaughlin on guitar

The Mastro's "Grosse Fugue" Guarneri Quartet circa 1969

Nice choices Tony. I love comfortably numb!
                              Thanks Margeretha. I think my feelings here are inextricably bound up with what I perceive to be the person of Dave Gilmour. He recently donated a house in Kensington, probably worth a cople of million pounds, to a homeless charity. Also he is one of the few major musicians in the rock world who could fill the Royal Albert Hall for several nights in a row, yet not be recognised in a crowd. Some music from our decades must surely endure like the Maestro's has. Hopefully Dave Gilmour and the Floyd will be there.

------------------
                              Love from London
                              Love from London

Comment

Of Beethoven, I am moved as much by his entire body of work as I am by single moments, but if I must - the slow introduction to the 4th, the transitional passage in the 5th, the battle between keys in the last movement of the 8th, the fugue and inverted fugue from op 110, the variations from the Archduke trio...actually, I could go on at great length.

And after much thought, three highlights that are NOT Beethoven are:

Symphony of Psalms, Stravinsky. In the third movement, after much unsettled and 'angular' chords, he resolves into absolute calm with the 'laudaute dominum' A visionary moment.

Symphony #5, Sibelius, 4th movement. Pagan enlightenment. Nature turning to light.

Capriccio. Richard Strauss. Final Aria. An enlightenment of a different sort. A resolve. There's a musical moment when she understands. Physical transforms to spiritual.

Comment

Working...
                                X