The finest moment in all of music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The finest moment in all of music

The Fourth Movement of Mozarts Jupiter symphony. Its so well constructed that the entire movement serves as that moment.

The introduction to the first movement of Beethovens 9th symphony

The entire Ode to Joy section of his 9th symphony

Those three are tied for me.
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

When Guido D'Arezzo invented his system of staff notation!

Cocchini

Comment

At different times in my life, the answer(s) would have been different:

40 years ago: Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five, "Hotter than That", 1927; 4th Movement of Mozart's "Jupiter Symphony"

30 years ago: "Cum Sanctu Spititu" from Bach's B Minor Mass; final fugue from Bach's "Musical Offering".

20 years ago: Last movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony, expecially the transition from the 3rd to the 4th movement

10 years ago: Third movement of "Moonlight Sonata"; Adagio from "Les Adieux" (Beethoven Sonata No. 26); Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five, "Hotter than That"

Today: Wotan's Farewell to Brunnehilde, the orchestral portion, from Wagner's "Ring"; "Siegfried Idyll", Wagner

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 24, 2004).]
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
        At different times in my life, the answer(s) would have been different:

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 24, 2004).]
        Interesting comment, Chaszz. About five years ago, I would have said: 'Woodstock', or Jimi Hendrix's New Year Concert 69/70 in N.Y.

Now and forever: the whole 9th symphony!!! And to think about an event: First performance of the 9th, with the Maestro standing in the middle of the orchestra. An unbelieveable tragic moment I think. But also first going public of the highest piece of music ever.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited March 24, 2004).]

Comment

A "moment" in music to me is some few seconds of brilliance - it cannot be an entire movement or piece, regardless of how great that movement is.

For example, a couple that come to mind are:

1. 7th Symphony, first movement - The flute entering with the primary theme after the long introduction.
          2. 6th Symphony, first movement - The final bars before the repeat to the beginning.

I have listened to just these few seconds twenty or thirty times in a row before.

Comment

I found the 2nd movement of Haydn's Symphony No.99 to be one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed. For that matter the 2nd movement of his 102 symphony is not far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
              I found the 2nd movement of Haydn's Symphony No.99 to be one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed. For that matter the 2nd movement of his 102 symphony is not far behind.
              I've just listened to these two on Naxos and agree they are very beautiful. Thanks for pointing them out.

It must have been a rare day on sunny Olympus, with zephyr-like breezes stirring the leaves, when Haydn wrote each of these.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                A "moment" in music to me is some few seconds of brilliance - it cannot be an entire movement or piece, regardless of how great that movement is.

For example, a couple that come to mind are:

1. 7th Symphony, first movement - The flute entering with the primary theme after the long introduction.
                2. 6th Symphony, first movement - The final bars before the repeat to the beginning.

I have listened to just these few seconds twenty or thirty times in a row before.
                I agree Chris, a moment is not the same as a movement! Beethoven had many wonderful 'moments' such as the link passage between the last 2 movements of 5th symphony and the same in the 5th piano concerto or how about that ghost like recitative in Op.31/2.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

For me it's the last moments of the moonlight first movement , what a
                  depressed soul!

Also I can add, the introduction of the mean theme of the 3rd movement of the 5 th symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    I agree Chris, a moment is not the same as a movement! Beethoven had many wonderful 'moments' such as the link passage between the last 2 movements of 5th symphony and the same in the 5th piano concerto or how about that ghost like recitative in Op.31/2.
                    Good picks, Peter. Beethoven's music is filled with such glorious moments.

Comment

Too many to list but the highlights have to be for me (from different genres and in no order of preference).......

The second guitar break in "Comfortably Numb" from Pink Floyd "The Wall"

"Dies Irae" from Verdi's Requiem under Toscanini and the NBC Symphony (the Giuseppi Di Stefano on tenor version)

"Under My Thumb" by the Stones from "Aftermath" 1966

Fourth movement from Brahm's First Symphony Toscanini and the NBC symphony again please

"I Don't Live Today" from "Are You Experienced?" Jimi Hendrix 1966

The final act from 'Carmen' under the direction of Karajan (I think 1965 or thereabouts with Leontyne Price)

Anything by Miles Davis circa 1969 - 1971 with John McLaughlin on guitar

The Mastro's "Grosse Fugue" Guarneri Quartet circa 1969

------------------
                      Love from London
                      Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        I've just listened to these two on Naxos and agree they are very beautiful. Thanks for pointing them out.

It must have been a rare day on sunny Olympus, with zephyr-like breezes stirring the leaves, when Haydn wrote each of these.

Chaszz, I have often said that if I was going to be locked in a room for a month or so and I could take the music of only one composer that composer would, without hesitation, be Franz Joseph Haydn. What a happy month of his Symphonies, string quartets, trios, masses etc. that would be.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited March 26, 2004).]

Comment

King Stephen,
                          You did not mention Haydn's works for keyboard ,I have only just discovered them myself and I thought they were lovely.
                          Muriel
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Opus 69, Cello Sonata No.3,

In the middle of the first mvmnt. The piano brings this short new melody, which the cello shortly after repeats. Very beautiful!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited March 26, 2004).]

Comment

The rythmical urgency which culminates in the finale of the Opus131, propably the greatest single peice of music ever written (ever)

Comment

Working...
                              X