Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleeping at concerts - we've all done it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I understand that nothing can compare to the energy and the spectacle of a live performance,it is a shame that my curmudgeonly nature prevents me from attending concerts,one place I will occasionally go to are concerts at the university,they are sometimes poorly attended but of an excellent quality .
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Opus131:
      "Sleeping at concerts - we've all done it."

How can anybody sleep during a concert ?!? If you don't care about the music to such an extend, what are you doing in there in the first place ?!?
      well, i have to say i have fallen asleep for some performances. usually i fall asleep at performances of music i dont like. for example, a micmilan or john cage piece in a mostly good concert. or it could be i piece i do like, but played badly or lifelessly. maybe a pianist playing a very good piece, but plays it technically, with no musicality or life.

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
        Russo,
        One of the core beliefs of the romantics was that profound inspiration came from the inbetween state of sleeping and consciousness that they dubbed 'reverie'.
        One of my favourite poets, Samuel Taylor Coleridge claimed to be heavily influenced by this, particularly in writing that dreamy abstracted poem called Kubla-Khan, and The Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner.
        We know that Berlioz claimed this inspiration.

V.Russo revealed at last!

Could this be your poetry site by any chance V.?? The poetry is very lyrical and I especially like the untitled poems.
        There is a wonderful sense metre and rythm.
        http://www.poetry.com/poets/VincentPRussoJr.html

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 04, 2004).]
        dear Amalie:

No, that is not me. I AM at poetry.com though. Try "Russo, Vincent Michael".

p.s. I am a wee bit younger than Mr. Russo from Sunnyside, NY.
        I am 34.

------------------
        v russo

[This message has been edited by v russo (edited April 04, 2004).]
        v russo

Comment

TJ.
          I know exactly what you mean about 'tiredness' after a long trying day at work, I'm on my feet practicaly all day. I particularly remember attending a concert after work when drowsiness overtook me and trying fight off drifting into noddy land I concentrated on keeping my eyes wide open and transfixed.
          You might be interested to know that Mozart's 'Marriage of Figaro' is now playing at the Savoy Theatre in the Strand.

Many thanks Amalie. May I say that I always really enjoy your messages. I suspect that you are a professional working in London, somewhat like myself? Did you say the Savoy Theatre in the Strand? I know it well (in fact my great great grandfather was chief wine steward there!!) But I didn't think that operas were staged there?

------------------
          Love from London
          Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:

Oh by the way I meant great grandfather not great great I am not that young!!

------------------
            Love from London
            Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
              dear Amalie:

No, that is not me. I AM at poetry.com though. Try "Russo, Vincent Michael".

p.s. I am a wee bit younger than Mr. Russo from Sunnyside, NY.
              I am 34.

Thanks for the link Russo, sorry about the mistaken identity. I didn't think you were quite 50 something.
              I very much enjoyed reading your poetry on Poetry.com under Vincent Michael Russo, it is really lovely and lyrical. I like the 'Adagietto' and the 'Untitled #2, which begins with - Violets through the thicket grew - it is a lovely poem.
              Shakespeare quite frequently refers to violets in his plays and Sonnets.

Members can read Russo's poetry on http://poetry.com/Publications/search.asp

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:

Apparently, The Marriage of Figaro was showing at the Savoy for about three weeks. I think they are competing with ENO. It will be interesting to read the reviews.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Thanks for the link Russo, sorry about the mistaken identity. I didn't think you were quite 50 something.
                  I very much enjoyed reading your poetry on Poetry.com under Vincent Michael Russo, it is really lovely and lyrical. I like the 'Adagietto' and the 'Untitled #2, which begins with - Violets through the thicket grew - it is a lovely poem.
                  Shakespeare quite frequently refers to violets in his plays and Sonnets.

Members can read Russo's poetry on http://poetry.com/Publications/search.asp

thank you for the compliments Amalie.

------------------
                  v russo
                  v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    I slept through a great deal of University. You can get some good sleep during those lectures...
                    especially teachers talking so much on everything during class time. *lol*

Comment

Working...
                    X