Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleeping at concerts - we've all done it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping at concerts - we've all done it.

There was an amusing talk on BBC Radio 3, on why people fall asleep at concerts.
    Most people at some time do and I must confess that I have'nt nodded off at a music concert though I did once at a play, which probably proves something.
    Apparently an Italian ensemble is in Britian at the moment with 30 beds so that during the performance people can actually get into bed and if the music makes them sleepy the performers are happy equally if they want to stay awake and listen.
    One correspondent who was an experienced musician said that every time he heard Shimonovsky's music it sent him to sleep but he wondered whether this was a bad thing. After all if the music makes people sleep and if sleep is a good thing I suppose music then fulfills a utilitarian function, the snoring would add to the orchestration. Apparently, musicians themselves can fall asleep which happened in London recently where someone in the first violins managed the difficult feat of falling asleep whilst keeping the bowing action of the violin in continuous motion. Everything was OK until the movement finished and a screeching sound was heard bizarrely coming from the orchestra and as someone jolted him back into consciousness, he then fell off his chair and the audience roared with laughter. Can you imagine if it would happen with Toscanini, he would have had the poor man boiled in oil!.
    Written compositonial music is meant to be listened to though the point was made that it was really only in Beethoven's time that a single minded fixation on listening was introduced, because in Mozart's time even sometimes the greatest music was a kind of 'background' to other social activities that were going on all around.
    Beethoven would have nothing of this of course!!!!!. He demands attention, and no nodding off or getting into bed, 'as if we could or would want to'. The very idea.....

One final thought, was that the inbetween threshold state of sleep and waking is a very interesting artistic and neurological phenomenon and it can be an extremely creative state. The romantics called it 'reverie' and there is no doubt that great poems for instance have claimed to be written in this threshold condition.
    Berlioz symphony fantastique claimed to have been written in just such a state.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 02, 2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

"Sleeping at concerts - we've all done it."

How can anybody sleep during a concert ?!? If you don't care about the music to such an extend, what are you doing in there in the first place ?!?

Comment

I've never fallen alseep at a concert, play, or anything else. This sounds like a poor April Fool's gag to me.

Comment

Amalie
        Yes, I can understand it. I don't mean the musician of course, that sounds very strange. Possibly the person was sick, or something like that. But, I almost did sleep at a concert too, but that was my mistake, because I slept just too less the night before, maybe about 2 or 3 hours. Then, the concert was still pretty young I came so tired (and angry about myself) It was really hard!!! I just can explaine it, because the music was so peaceful and beautiful, just a good feeling! And this is, what one needs to sleep away. For good luck, this was just an exception, so I wouldn't say this was a good idea!!!

My tab: Sleep enough before, or visit concerts of Axel Rose – Sleep impossible...

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 02, 2004).]

Comment

Now I got a mess, hmmmmm... Good night! (I pushed somehow the wrong button )

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited April 02, 2004).]

Comment

In order to avoid misunderstandings – Normaly I'm wide-awake, when I go to concerts. But let me tell you two other little sories, which happened at concerts I've visited:

One concert, a player of Oboe came too late. She was sticking with her car in the city traffic and wasn't able to come pointly. So, we waited half an hour and then they started without that Oboe. As she then came on the stage, the first mvmnt has just finished, there was a laughing and a special applause to her...

On an other concert, there was a person, which thought he has to applaud after each mvmnt. This man then has needed four mvmnts to realize, that he was the only one....

Comment

Originally posted by Opus131:
              "Sleeping at concerts - we've all done it."

How can anybody sleep during a concert ?!? If you don't care about the music to such an extend, what are you doing in there in the first place ?!?
              I can fall asleep almost anywh--Zzzzzzzz.

Seriously though, it has nothing to do with caring about music. Take the interstate trucker who nods off and kills himself and another innocent family on the freeway. He probably cared deeply about his life, but sleep overtook him. There are many tragic examples of people falling asleep when they shouldn't. It is in involuntary bodily function that can creep up on us when we least expect it.

I think it is a little unrealistic to have someone sit in a stuffy, airless concert hall, remain perfectly still for an hour or longer listening to music they may or may not care about, and not get drowsy.

Some of us fall asleep more easily than others. Personally, I fell asleep last night AS I was changing channels on the remote. When I woke up I had no idea what that oblong object was in my hand.

I have had great vibrant experiences in concert halls, but I have also had battles with sleep. I guess I would say I have never fallen into deep slumber during a concert, but the eyelids have sure gotten heavy. It is worse when I am at home listening to the radio from a comfy chair. I can remember trying to stay awake to hear the profound ending of Tristan und Isolde. I did everything but throw buckets of ice water over my head.

When my daughters were a bit younger and I took them to concerts, they had an irresistable urge to dance around. Of course, I stifled them, but it does seem like a natural instinct.

Stravinsky was discussing a Schubert mass with a friend who said, "this music puts me to sleep." "Yes," replied Stravinsky, "but don't you feel like you are paradise when you wake up?"

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by urtextmeister:
                [B] I can fall asleep almost anywh--Zzzzzzzz.

Seriously though, it has nothing to do with caring about music. Take the interstate trucker who nods off and kills himself and another innocent family on the freeway. He probably cared deeply about his life, but sleep overtook him. There are many tragic examples of people falling asleep when they shouldn't. It is in involuntary bodily function that can creep up on us when we least expect it.

I think it is a little unrealistic to have someone sit in a stuffy, airless concert hall, remain perfectly still for an hour or longer listening to music they may or may not care about, and not get drowsy.

Some of us fall asleep more easily than others. Personally, I fell asleep last night AS I was changing channels on the remote. When I woke up I had no idea what that oblong object was in my hand.

I have had great vibrant experiences in concert halls, but I have also had battles with sleep. I guess I would say I have never fallen into deep slumber during a concert, but the eyelids have sure gotten heavy. It is worse when I am at home listening to the radio from a comfy chair. I can remember trying to stay awake to hear the profound ending of Tristan und Isolde. I did everything but throw buckets of ice water over my head.

When my daughters were a bit younger and I took them to concerts, they had an irresistable urge to dance around. Of course, I stifled them, but it does seem like a natural instinct.

Stravinsky was discussing a Schubert mass with a friend who said, "this music puts me to sleep." "Yes," replied Stravinsky, "but don't you feel like you are paradise when you wake up?"
                -----------------------------------------
                Didn't Vladimir Horowitz insist on giving recitals no later than 5:00pm (before dinner) so that the audience would be more likely to stay awake. I think he stated that males had a greater problem with this than females.

Cocchini

Comment

I slept through a great deal of University. You can get some good sleep during those lectures...

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:

I think it is a little unrealistic to have someone sit in a stuffy, airless concert hall, remain perfectly still for an hour or longer listening to music they may or may not care about, and not get drowsy
                    Remain perfectly still...this doesn't happen at concerts here,people use the concert as an opportunity to socialize and they blab to eachother the whole way through .I also object to the stuffy atmosphere poisoned with 300 different varieties of perfume and aftershave.It is not worth the high price of a ticket for me to be in misery for two hours,I'd rather buy the cd.Matinee's are a bit better ,but the talkers still talk and the stinkers still stink!
                    I don't go to concerts anymore,but I would take gentle snoring over constant babble anyday.
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Just tiredness maybe? A few years ago I went to see "Figaro's Wedding" at the ENO in St Martin's Lane. I couldn't have been more excited. A friend had treated me. Mozart's Operas, for me, were, and probably will always be,one of the highest points in all music, not the least Figaro. It had been a long hot stressful day at work. A bottle of Budweiser "slipped down nicely" as we say in this part of the world. Half wy through Act One I felt a nudging from my friend 'zzzzzzzz' was thankfully and abruptly interrupted. The rest of the opera was utterly enthralling. No guilt,I told myself. We call it being knackered here.

------------------
                      Love from London
                      Love from London

Comment

I must admit (maybe once or twice) that after a heavy meal and some drink that I have nodded of (briefly) at a concert during a piece that may not have had my full attention to begin with.

This state between sleep and consciousness is a very real creative phenomenon. I have composed some music this way and have written poetry this way as well. It is a very pure and clear state of mind that leads to the most profound inspiration...

------------------
                        v russo
                        v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                          Just tiredness maybe? A few years ago I went to see "Figaro's Wedding" at the ENO in St Martin's Lane. I couldn't have been more excited. A friend had treated me. Mozart's Operas, for me, were, and probably will always be,one of the highest points in all music, not the least Figaro. It had been a long hot stressful day at work. A bottle of Budweiser "slipped down nicely" as we say in this part of the world. Half wy through Act One I felt a nudging from my friend 'zzzzzzzz' was thankfully and abruptly interrupted. The rest of the opera was utterly enthralling. No guilt,I told myself. We call it being knackered here.

TJ.
                          I know exactly what you mean about 'tiredness' after a long trying day at work, I'm on my feet practicaly all day. I particularly remember attending a concert after work when drowsiness overtook me and trying fight off drifting into noddy land I concentrated on keeping my eyes wide open and transfixed.
                          You might be interested to know that Mozart's 'Marriage of Figaro' is now playing at the Savoy Theatre in the Strand.

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 04, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by v russo:
                            I must admit (maybe once or twice) that after a heavy meal and some drink that I have nodded of (briefly) at a concert during a piece that may not have had my full attention to begin with.

This state between sleep and consciousness is a very real creative phenomenon. I have composed some music this way and have written poetry this way as well. It is a very pure and clear state of mind that leads to the most profound inspiration...

Russo,
                            One of the core beliefs of the romantics was that profound inspiration came from the inbetween state of sleeping and consciousness that they dubbed 'reverie'.
                            One of my favourite poets, Samuel Taylor Coleridge claimed to be heavily influenced by this, particularly in writing that dreamy abstracted poem called Kubla-Khan, and The Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner.
                            We know that Berlioz claimed this inspiration.

V.Russo revealed at last!

Could this be your poetry site by any chance V.?? The poetry is very lyrical and I especially like the untitled poems.
                            There is a wonderful sense metre and rythm.
                            http://www.poetry.com/poets/VincentPRussoJr.html

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited April 04, 2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                              Remain perfectly still...this doesn't happen at concerts here,people use the concert as an opportunity to socialize and they blab to eachother the whole way through .I also object to the stuffy atmosphere poisoned with 300 different varieties of perfume and aftershave.It is not worth the high price of a ticket for me to be in misery for two hours,I'd rather buy the cd.Matinee's are a bit better ,but the talkers still talk and the stinkers still stink!
                              I don't go to concerts anymore,but I would take gentle snoring over constant babble anyday.

That's unfortunate! It would annoy me also very much. I don't know it this way here where I live, except some 'black sheeps' of course. Some people are not considerationful at all. Recently, some with ringing handys, and the worst case was a person, which was sick with a very strong coughing. It's no pleasure to go to concerts this way. Nevertheless, mostly it's ok, I wouldn't like to miss it in future.

Comment

Working...
                              X